Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2021, 03:09 PM   #1

Big Bend

We have '16 DS 4369. Looking to travel to Big Bend National Park in early January, any suggestions on stays?
Ryancasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2021, 03:18 PM   #2

Maverick Ranch RV in Lajitas.

Make sure you take your toad and make the drive through big bend state park along the river.
Hugh Jass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 03:33 PM   #3

I'll second Maverick Ranch. You'll have a great time exploring the park.
Road Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 03:43 PM   #4

Maverick Ranch is the only real choice.
GWBGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 04:54 PM   #5

I've been to Big Bend many times. I've stayed in several different campgrounds. None of them are what you might call a resort.

I've spent the most time at Big Bend Resort and Adventures. This is a desert campground 3 miles from the west gate of the national park, in Study Butte, TX. I like it here because they have gas, grocery shopping, nearby restaurants, and a store. This is where I'll stay next time I go.
https://www.bigbendresort.com/

Mavrick Ranch RV Park is in Lajitis, 20 miles from the west gate of the national park. It is a desert park too, but much of the lot is paved. They have most of the ammenities that you find in Study Butte but stuff tends to be more expensive (and everything down there is expensive). I stayed here once, but didn't like being so far from the national park activities.
https://www.lajitasgolfresort.com/mo..._maverickranch

Farther up the road is Marathon Motel and RV Park. This park is 40 miles from the main gate of the national park. I liked this park a lot. It is a desert park but it is well maintained. There is a big emphasis on sky watching here. There are a couple of really good restaurants in town too.
https://www.marathonmotel.com/

The park headquarters/visitors center is in the middle of the park. It is a long ways from any of the gates to the vistors center.

I wrote some report from my visits, complete with photos.
https://advrider.com/f/threads/big-b...again.1499435/

https://advrider.com/f/threads/2020-...-trip.1426252/

What activities are you thinking about?
andy29847 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 05:11 PM   #6

To give a reasonable answer, we HAVE to know what you are looking for.

Dry camping in the park?

Camping in the park (on parking lot) with power?

Full service CG

Resort type CG
Old 10-19-2021, 05:47 PM   #7

I agree with Wolf10.

If you want to stay inside the park, you may get a site at the Rio Grande Village Campground. These are dry camping sites, but there are facilities. Dump and fill site, Gas station, small general store.

There is also a parking lot type of full service sites. Water, sewer, and electric are at each site. The parking lot sites are not managed by the Park Service. It is managed by the campground store at the Rio Grande Village.

There are also boondocking sites inside the park. Reservations required.

Distance between things in Big Bend and surrounding area are large. You can spend a lot of time driving in and out. But, if you want better accommodations you must get smaller for the Chisos Basin (26 feet max) or go outside the park.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 06:04 PM   #8

We've always stayed in the park itself with our 40' motorhome at Rio Grande Village campground - dry camping. Beautiful views.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 07:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryancasey View Post
We have '16 DS 4369. Looking to travel to Big Bend National Park in early January, any suggestions on stays?
If you stay in Rio Grand Village Campground ( parking lot with full hookup ) Just be aware that you may stick out far into the travel lane. I stayed there a few years ago in our 2016 4018 DS with a tag axle. This is a parking lot that you back into ( its not very wide ) I was lucky because the person straight across from me was a small travel trailer, had it been a 4369 I would have been a little more nervous. I put out orange cones and everyone was respectful. Its a beautiful park. Hope this helps
96kpmjmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 09:48 PM   #10

Big Bend

All good advice above. The only thing I have to add is our preferred route to get there. GPS may want to send you via 10 which is the quickest (depending on where you stay), but 90 out of San Antonio through Del Rio is a nicer drive , and you can stop at the Pecos River lookout and then at Langtry and visit Judge Roy Bean’s place. Or go in one way and come out the other.

Remember it’s dark sky country and Enjoy!
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 09:59 PM   #11

I second Rob M's advise about TX 90. You can take I-10 into San Antonio and be on interstate type roads until you are well west of the city. One of the first towns after San Antonio is Castroville. We stayed there last year at the Alsarian Resort. it is a fabulous place to RV. The town of Castroville is quite interesting too.

Alsatian RV Resort – San Antonio RV Park 830-931-9190
andy29847 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 02:08 PM   #12

Big Bend

We have visited Big Bend many times and always stay at the state park at Ft.Davis. Not only is this a huge park but it is is in the middle of the area so makes for a great centralized home base. McDonald Observatory, Marathon, Marfa, Helitos, Presidio, Lajitas, Alpine, Terlingua, and on and on.
Enjoy
beedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 02:13 PM   #13

While we are also big fans of Fort Davis State Park, that is a LONG way from Big Bend!

Per mapquest, from Fort Davis SP to Big Bend NP HQ is 139 miles each way and in an RV a 3 hour drive.

Certainly, ADD Fort Davis to your list if you have time, but if you really want to explore Big Bend NP, I would find some place a lot closer.
Old 12-20-2021, 03:39 PM   #14

While in the area be sure to drive Texas FM 170 from Lajitas to Presidio

https://texashighways.com/travel-news/driving-fm-170/

It’s one of the nicest drives outside of Big Bend NP. Especially if you ride a MC, then it’s absolutely awesome…..
Flanz is offline   Reply With Quote