Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2012, 01:47 PM   #1

Big News For Gas Powered Buyers

Big news from Spartan, one of the top diesel pusher chassis manufacturers, to offer a gas front engine unit. This is not just another one on the market, it will be the biggest yet with the most powerful engine available in any gas motor home. The line would cover 22,000 to 28,000 lbs GVWR size. The Spartan branded front mounted engine powering this new chassis will be an 8.8 l powerhouse capable of producing 430 HP and 512 ft. lbs. torque. This engine in going to be built in conjuction with the world class engine maker Power Solutions International, Inc.

While there is no word yet when they will be starting to offer this chassis or which manufacturers will handle it, we sure hope Newmar grabs this one.

I would have posted this in the Spartan section, however most gas owners and potential buyer's generally do not search there. So, Newmar fans get to read about it here.

This is a great move on Spartan's part and a great way to offer the best chassis maker's products to a wider group of users. Kudo's to Spartan!

Peter
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2012, 01:59 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Looks like a replacement for the Workhorse W-22 TO W-26 chassis.
Wonder if I blow a 8.1 Chev engine can get their engine now from Spartan , maybe.

If Spartan builds their chassis as good or better as Workhorse chassis with Allison trans, I think Newmar will jump at it.

This is not the 8.8 engine but PSI does not mention what trans they team up with but than maybe its Spartan's call.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:59 PM   #3

Photo Release -- PSI & Spartan Chassis Launch New Concept Chassis at RVIA Tradeshow
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:10 PM   #4

Here a photo of the new chassis called the Extol.

Peter
Attached Images

Old 11-27-2012, 02:30 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is a dumb question, why don't they make rear engine gas models? It seems to me the most objectionable part of the gas engine experience, is the noise under acceleration.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:33 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Like the UFO?
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:54 PM   #7
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I would expect the Spartan gas chassis to be more expensive than the Ford........but how much more is the big question.

Rear gas engines have never sold well enough to make money for their manufacturers, so they were not successful.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:05 PM   #8

512 ft lbs + long drive shaft + 28000 lbs vehicle weight = not very impressive performance.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:08 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Everyone that I new liked the UFO even with some problems to start.
Spartan could maybe do the same but the new EXTOL may be quieter and coach MFG's will have allot to do with noise up front also.
Workhorse was more expensive than a Ford at the time I got mine but there was allot of difference between the two chassis's at the time also, my Ford's could never support the Newmar box weight.
The engine trans combo should be interesting.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:21 PM   #10

It's about time, should be a great chassis. It appears they'll be using a modified 8.1 GM engine perhaps with a larger bore and longer stroke to get the increased HP & torque.

I would suspect with that amount of HP & torque they'll mate an Allison 6 speed with it.

Wonder if the chassis will have IFS or solid front axle?

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:37 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As a gasser/Ford chassis owner, the announcement doesn't do much for me. Having owned two coaches now with the Ford set-up, they have performed to and met all my expectations and I can't see paying more for a little more power.
DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:34 AM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
As an outsider, I'm amazed that Navistar elected to pass on the PSI 8.8L engine when a primary reason often stated for the demise of Workhorse in the RV market was the unavailability of a suitable gas engine when the 8.1L GM engine went out of production. In effect, it appears that Spartan is picking up in the RV industry precisely where Workhorse left off.

Just my observation.....

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:13 AM   #13
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I agree. With only one chassis manufacturer left, the market is ripe for competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
As an outsider, I'm amazed that Navistar elected to pass on the PSI 8.8L engine when a primary reason often stated for the demise of Workhorse in the RV market was the unavailability of a suitable gas engine when the 8.1L GM engine went out of production. In effect, it appears that Spartan is picking up in the RV industry precisely where Workhorse left off.

Just my observation.....

Rusty

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:04 PM   #14

That "little more power" will make a world of difference in performance and payload!

Too bad its not a midengine!

Tags
gas