Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2019, 08:55 AM   #29

I love my JL but the hitch is hard to use for a bike rack because of the way the back end opens. The tire rack mounts interfere with the backup camera. They either use the center tire mount or the other racks won't fit around the tire if its larger than stock size. I decides on a swing hitch for my JL. Find one at trailer. https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...uat/PV20B.html, It make an extra step to open the back, but otherwise works fine.
gjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2019, 01:15 PM   #30

May or May Not be an option for you but I carry our two bikes inside our Jeep JKU.
I see you have a JL 2 door?

Picked up some truck bed bike mounts, mounted those to a 2 x 4. Bungee the board to the seat backs (I can also lock it all together).

I wanted to keep stuff from wandering eyes when parked. Especially overnight somewhere.

The downside is dealing with the bikes when we want to use the Jeep for activities that don't include biking.

The 1UP racks look really nice if we ever decide to go that route.

Tom
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 11:24 AM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soniccruzer View Post
Rick
Do you use a dual receiver type of accessory if so how high of a rise?
No I just carry it behind the JKU. Ours is a 4 door Rubicon and I figure its just as easy to access the back by folding down the back seat.

Because of our larger Off road tires on the Jeep I did buy a Hitch extension so the bikes would clear the Oversized Spare tire

https://www.amazon.com/Towever-84332...29400326&psc=1

Rick
Dunelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 05:49 PM   #32

Quote:
I see that Hollywood says not to use behind a towed vehicle.
Almost all bike racks say that. I always assumed they were talking about a trailer. A car being towed is no different from a car being driven.

Trailers on the other hand, with their axles in the middle, have a lot of bounce and sway on the rear end.
Old 04-24-2019, 06:31 PM   #33

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake21 View Post
7 years and over 100,000 miles with 4 carbon fiber bikes and no issues.
Attachment 242825

Is that a Formosa Cover? I would love a sturdy and securable enclosed structure like at Lets Go Aero, but the price point is insane at $1800 - $2,000. I have heard good things from others about Formosa Covers lasting 4+ years and doing a good job of protection for $50 - $60.
walkerhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 08:57 AM   #34

It is a Skinz cover. In 7 years I am on my 3rd, but I do like it. Not 100% waterproof, but it is very secure and does not blow around. I use a shower curtain liner and drape it over the top of the bikes first. Then in heavy rain, the little water that does get in drops to the bottom and out of the weep holes.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 02:54 PM   #35

Bike rack

Doesn’t putting the bikes on the toad put too much weight on the back, and create a risk of fishtailing?
Croquet King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 03:12 PM   #36

Nor'easters Club
RV Trip Wizard
Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Which bike rack are you considering? I’ve been looking at the Hollywood and 1up racks $$$
I use a KUAT NV 2.0 dual bike rack for my eBike. It was highly recommended by several RVers and I am very happy with it. It is definitely $$$.
dck22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 03:23 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bchtravlr View Post
When we travel places where we can use our bicycles, we add them onto the Jeep with a hitch bike rack. This makes access to the back of the Jeep impossible without removing the bikes and hitch rack. I have seen some people put a double hitch on the back of the coach, and put the bikes above the tow bar. I have been concerned about the engine heat baking the bikes and accelerating the age of the bike parts, especially since one is an ebike.

Thoughts and opinions, as we have some long trips planned, and are debating about if we take them with us, or leave them at home.

Full timers don’t have that option so I am guessing I am not the first with trying to optimize this issue.
You might want to consider a double receiver hitch, where the bike rack rides higher in the receiver. Purchase an extension 8 to 10 inches for your tow package. This makes less swinging motion in the toad with the bikes forward of the vehicle and more centrally located on the receiver hitch. Safe travels Mate.
Old 05-05-2019, 03:44 PM   #38

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dck22 View Post
I use a KUAT NV 2.0 dual bike rack for my eBike. It was highly recommended by several RVers and I am very happy with it. It is definitely $$$.
I also use the Kuat NV 2.0 on the back of my JKU. I use a drop/extender with it so I can open the rear gate and window of the Jeep.

The Kuat has an internal hitch tightener that eliminates any movement of the rack and it swings up against the spare tire when not being used. And since it is very heavy duty rack it gives me some added protection in case of a rear-end collision.

The Kuat also has a built in bicycle work stand (very handy), built in cable locks, takes 2 seconds to load or unload the bikes, and once loaded the bikes are very secure. Used it for many trips now with zero problems :-)
Avatab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 03:47 PM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Is that with the e-bikes? Or just regular.
Curiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 03:57 PM   #40

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curiosity View Post
Is that with the e-bikes? Or just regular.
We have regular Mtn bikes, but the rack is built like a tank, I assume it would handle Ebikes just as well. You do need an adapter for small childrens bikes, but Kuat quickly sent us one for free.

I'm guessing they have weight limits listed on their website, but I have used the rack to carry heavy bulky items strapped to it (not an approved use LOL), jumped up and down on it, and even backed into a cement wall by accident once, and it didn't even scratch the thing.... VERY well built
Avatab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 04:02 PM   #41

I bought a cheap bike rack at Wal Mart that folds down with the bikes on it. I can access the hatch on my towed CR-V. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Allen-Spor...42RR/168617601
blackhorse27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 04:15 PM   #42

We have a Kuat NV bike rack for our 2 fat tire ebikes, attached to the back of our Jeep GC. Each bike weighs 52 lbs but it’s not a problem for me to tilt the rack down to open the rear Jeep hatch. Love the rack, very well built.
mjfinsimi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike rack