Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2020, 03:49 AM   #71

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Bike rack on the toad. Think about when you want to drive somewhere to begin the bike ride. You'll need to take it on the toad.
Nailed it!
Janjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2020, 11:39 AM   #72

Of course, you can carry bikes on the back of your toad. we have a new Expedition and are using a Thule XT2 rack as it is built for electric bikes and can carry over 160 pounds plus it has a detachable ramp to save the back when loading. We pull behind our 40 ft Dutch star and have never had a problem plus the rack has some incredible security features that are not available on other racks. Good Luck!!!
beedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 07:13 AM   #73

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by beedub View Post
Of course, you can carry bikes on the back of your toad. we have a new Expedition and are using a Thule XT2 rack as it is built for electric bikes and can carry over 160 pounds plus it has a detachable ramp to save the back when loading. We pull behind our 40 ft Dutch star and have never had a problem plus the rack has some incredible security features that are not available on other racks. Good Luck!!!

Makes sense to me. I like the idea of the ramp especially. Thank you all for the help. Might have to look into eBikes and an upgraded rack.
Semituff810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 09:04 AM   #74

Saris Bones EX Trunk Bike Rack Carrier, Mount 3 Bikeshttps://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81z4eB6vC9L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

This is what I use on my wife's Kia Sportage and my Kia Sorento at home. Recommended to me by several avid cyclists that have tried numerous racks found on the internet, or much more expensive models pushed by high-end road bike shops. The Saris is better than a Thule.

We actually carry our road bikes on the RV ladder but we'll at times bring the Saris with my wife's car which is our toad. Depending on my level of preparedness, sometimes I'll attach it to her car before we leave on a trip, or if I'm short on time I'll just put it in the car to have it. Either way, we'll have it if we want to drive to a bike path or location vs. just taking off from the campground.
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 09:19 AM   #75

E-Trailer has the best price for the 2 bike model at $120 with free shipping.
Old 02-19-2020, 06:09 PM   #76

Quote:
Bike rack on the toad. Think about when you want to drive somewhere to begin the bike ride. You'll need to take it on the toad.
Spot on! While reading thru this thread, I kept thinking about transportation needs once in the glampground. If you ride from where you park the rig, all options are on the table. But as Twogypsies points out, if you need to use the toad to get to your biking location, you’ll need a toad solution anyway. I think we have established that a rack on the back your vehicle is the same; whether pulled by the vehicle’s motor, or the motorhome. It don’t know from what twa’d-other.
walt_embree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 07:06 AM   #77

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by beedub View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but very few of us seem to be towing Expeditions. Good to see someone else.
tim5055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 12:16 PM   #78

Bikes on toad

We carried two bikes on a re-made rack on rear of motorhome, no problem.Years ago we followed a towed trailer with two bikes rear mounted. It was so bouncy that one bike fell off and got pretty well wrecked before we caught them on the CB and advised what had happened.
I really enjoy reading the pertinent queries and follow up replies here--keep up the good work!
Rover 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 04:12 PM   #79

We are using that exact same rack on the back of our Honda CRV. Yes there is a lot of bouncing and joggling, but the bikes and the rack stay on. This makes it easier when we want to drive somewhere to ride as the rack doesn't have to be moved.
Mike_Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 05:30 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt_embree View Post
Spot on! While reading thru this thread, I kept thinking about transportation needs once in the glampground. If you ride from where you park the rig, all options are on the table. But as Twogypsies points out, if you need to use the toad to get to your biking location, you’ll need a toad solution anyway. I think we have established that a rack on the back your vehicle is the same; whether pulled by the vehicle’s motor, or the motorhome. It don’t know from what twa’d-other.
Another option is to add a hitch to the FRONT of your RV / Tow vehicle... use the rear hitch for the Toad, and the front hitch for the bicycles...
However this does require a tilt-over bike rack when washing the RV windshield... or relocating the rack when using the Toad to transport the bikes to the bike trail...

Mike
Old 02-24-2020, 09:41 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherMike View Post
Another option is to add a hitch to the FRONT of your RV / Tow vehicle... use the rear hitch for the Toad, and the front hitch for the bicycles...
However this does require a tilt-over bike rack when washing the RV windshield... or relocating the rack when using the Toad to transport the bikes to the bike trail...

Mike
You'd always have a bike full of bugs!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 12:10 AM   #82

Quote:
You'd always have a bike full of bugs!
That's what the zip-up cover is for...

Mike
Old 02-25-2020, 12:17 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofcy View Post
If you add an extender, make sure it is rated for the same weight. I have not seen one that is more than 5,000 lbs.
Roadmaster has them rated at 10,000 lbs.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 07:18 AM   #84

Has the OP weighed back in with any of their thoughts on the great ideas offered and if they will go with one of the suggestions?

Tags
bike rack, toad