Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2021, 09:12 AM   #1

Question BIM 225 wired backwards?

I have a 2021 Ventana 4369. I recently upgraded my house batteries to lithium. Now I am trying to swap the current Precision Circuits BIM 225 with the equivalent LI-BIM 225.

Problem is the standard lead acid BIM battery terminals in the coach now are labeled Batt A and Batt B. Do these non-descript names mean it does not matter which post is connected to chassis vs coach? The reason I ask is because the LI-BIM battery posts on the one I am installing are specifically labeled Chasis and Coach. In the case of the LI-BIM it makes a difference and reversing them would result in improper charging.

When I look at this wiring diagram…

https://www.precisioncircuitsinc.com...ger-Rev7-1.pdf

It specifically shows the chassis on Batt A and the coach on Batt B. When I measure the voltage on each of the battery lugs on my coach, the voltage on Batt A matches the coach and the voltage on Batt B matches the chassis. This is reversed according to the schematic.

I am a newb when it comes to RVs but am a big time DIYer with all sorts of things. I am hoping the more experienced on this site can help me sort it out and get it right. My wife and I just retired and are full timing it to see the country. Since this is our home I figured I should err on the side of caution and ask here before I mess it up.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Dana
Barttalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2021, 10:36 AM   #2

The Precision Circuits BIM 160/225 is often wired backwards. Thor even shows it wired backwards on their circuit diagrams. Judge, a smart guy on the Thor forum clued me in to this.

Some say it doesn't matter, but my new Thor Axis was not charging from the chassis alternator correctly. I swapped the connections and now it charges fine.

So, connect the chassis to the side with the ignition connection which is Batt A. See the attached PC data sheet which shows it wired correctly.

If you want to read Judge's conclusions on this, see the attached .doc file.

David
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Precision Circuits BIM 160-Rev7-1.pdf (711.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: doc BIM 160 Wiring.doc (14.0 KB, 9 views)
DavidEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 11:08 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I had the same issue with my 225 BIM when I upgraded to Lithium's. Could not figure out why my chassis batteries were discharging when plugged into shore power. Used multi meter to figure out which wire went to chassis. Sure, enough the BIM wires were reversed. Wired it correctly and the problem when away. Amazing! LOL
Beach Livin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 07:09 AM   #4

Update…

For those doing a lithium upgrade and replacing their BIM with an LI-BIM, make sure you confirm the battery connections are correct (assuming the wires are not labeled) by confirming the voltages on each battery post. Your lithium coach batteries should be in the 13.5v range when fully charged. Your chassis LA/SLA should be about 12.5v. Thanks to the comments above I have a feeling many manufacturers just attach them without regards to chassis vs coach. With LI-BIM it will make a difference as experienced by Beach Livin.

I will replace mine shortly and post the results.

Dana
Barttalk is offline   Reply With Quote