Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2021, 05:12 PM   #15

Confirm your getting 13.4 or more volts on the BIRD coach battery terminal.

It may be on the solenoid cable but not on the BIRD sense wire.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2021, 06:02 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Started engine and watched the BIRD function properly and bridge battery banks. Not sure if this means anything but I noticed when on shore power the BIRD was not producing any power from the relay terminal BUT the ignition terminal showed very slight voltage 0.019v. I thought maybe any ignition voltage would hinder the BIRD so I disconnected that wire and there was still that slight voltage on the BIRD ignition terminal. Have not ordered a new BIRD yet but this thing certainly has me puzzled.
Patty1301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 06:07 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Yup I was getting 13.54 v at the BIRD…. Unless that terminal is dirty or something. I’ll pull it off and clean it. If it’s something that stupid I’m going to be mad at myself.
Old 12-19-2021, 06:08 AM   #18

You should see ignition voltage on the wire that goes to the BIRD controller when the engine is running and none when the ignition is off.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 06:12 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
So the BIRD must be my issue
Old 12-19-2021, 09:20 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty1301 View Post
So the BIRD must be my issue
Your issue is with shore power and the converters charging. If your batteries are charging while the engine is running and not charging with shore or generator power then you have a issue with the converters, not the BIRD.

The bird doesn't know whether it's on shore power or engine running other than the ignition wire. Do you have 12v at the batt terminal of the BIRD? Does the batteries charge with the ignition switch on and engine not running while on shore/generator power?

If the batteries charge while on shore power and the ignition on then it could be the BIRD. If not then you have to find out why the converters aren't charging the batteries. Have you done what I asked and checked output of the converters while on shore power?
Fefanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 09:39 AM   #21
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fefanatic View Post
Your issue is with shore power and the converters charging. If your batteries are charging while the engine is running and not charging with shore or generator power then you have a issue with the converters, not the BIRD.

The bird doesn't know whether it's on shore power or engine running other than the ignition wire. Do you have 12v at the batt terminal of the BIRD? Does the batteries charge with the ignition switch on and engine not running while on shore/generator power?

If the batteries charge while on shore power and the ignition on then it could be the BIRD. If not then you have to find out why the converters aren't charging the batteries. Have you done what I asked and checked output of the converters while on shore power?
POST 3: and four indicate he has shoreline charging fine.

" At the BIRD coach battery terminal the meter reads 13.5 volts. At the solenoid as well as the bird relay terminal I have zero volts. I’m waiting for a call back from Intellitec but I think the BIRD is not functioning properly."

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 09:52 AM   #22
YC1

Quote:
Started engine and watched the BIRD function properly and bridge battery banks. Not sure if this means anything but I noticed when on shore power the BIRD was not producing any power from the relay terminal BUT the ignition terminal showed very slight voltage 0.019v.This is just "stray" voltage and does not mean anything. A digital voltmeter can pick up all kinds of strange things. Disconnecting confirmed this to you. I thought maybe any ignition voltage would hinder the BIRD so I disconnected that wire and there was still that slight voltage on the BIRD ignition terminal. Have not ordered a new BIRD yet but this thing certainly has me puzzled.
You have been given enough evidence and ways to diagnose this thing. Post the part number on the controller please.

Your solenoid is working as is the shoreline inverter charging properly and the alternator is providing a charging voltage as well.

You are just missing the command from the controller to tell it to do the combining when there is a large enough charging voltage.

You do need to confirm AT the controller what the house battery voltage is showing in case that wire is not seeing the proper voltage. It should be identical to that across the house battery terminals, less any copper losses. That is, resistance in the run of the wire.

We used to have a challenge sometimes. "I can diagnose this (whatever), in one, two, three, four measurements". That was fun, but of course we were intimately familiar with the setups that were installed. Doing this via remote control there are a lot of variables and often the OP leaves off critical information by accident or does not feel it is relevant.

I think you have provided plenty of information to solve this mystery.

One more thing you can do for fun. Reverse the wires on the controller where the coach and chassis batteries are connected. The problem should follow the bad output from the house battery connection.

That is, it should then charge while on shoreline.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 11:04 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
00-00366-000 is the number on the BIRD. I believe the replacement is 00-00839-000. At least I hope it is because this is what I ordered.
Old 12-19-2021, 11:05 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
13.56 on both converters
Old 12-25-2021, 05:33 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Update… put each bank on regular charger for a night each bank. Ran the coach for an hour to put a good boost on them and the BIRD functions properly. Both banks read 13.57 now. Very happy. Should have started by doing basic battery maintenance. Luckily figured it out before ruining batteries and spending a lot on replacements. Do your maintenance people! I’m a little embarrassed but I’ve got some spare components now and a much better understanding of my coach and charging system. Thank you all for your input.
Old 12-25-2021, 08:51 PM   #26

Quote:
Update… put each bank on regular charger for a night each bank. Ran the coach for an hour to put a good boost on them and the BIRD functions properly. Both banks read 13.57 now. Very happy. Should have started by doing basic battery maintenance. Luckily figured it out before ruining batteries and spending a lot on replacements. Do your maintenance people! I’m a little embarrassed but I’ve got some spare components now and a much better understanding of my coach and charging system. Thank you all for your input.
Sometimes that understanding is well worth all the investment you may have spent. Glad you got it figured out. Now you will know next time.
Fefanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 05:54 AM   #27

Quote:
Should have started by doing basic battery maintenance.
I've been following along and I am confused. What maintenance are you talking about? What do you think fixed the problem,?

My understanding of the BIRD is that when you are on shore power with the ignition off, the charge voltage is applied to the house batteries. When the voltage on the house terminal of the BIRD controller reaches 13.1 for 2.5 minutes, the isolation solenoid closes to connect the house batteries to the coach batteries so that both charge. The manual goes on to say that if the house batteries fall below 12.5 volts, the isolation solenoid will open to prevent the coach batteries from being discharged.

Did your house batteries fall below 12.5 and stay there?

-B
Full time RVer since 4/2016. Newmar Mountain Aire 4523 - Jeep Rubicon - Harley FLTCR - 2022 F450 Platinum, 2022 Momentum 351MS-R with Curt Flex Air hitch and MORryde IS - Also considering a Polaris General 4 Seater and a Can Am Spyder RT
BrokeDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 02:07 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
I had a solid 13.56 volts on house batteries on shore power… chassis batteries were 12.7 and bird would not trigger the solenoid to bridge the banks. Has shore disconnected and noticed the solenoid clicked when I put a 40 amp boost on the house batteries with a shop charger. Basically both banks needed to be charged up separately before the bird functioned properly. This is why I thought it was the bird with a solid 13.56 to the coach terminal on bird and it did nothing.

Tags
bird, charge solenoid, chassis batteries, diesel bird, dutch star, intellitec