Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2020, 03:28 PM   #1

BirD Battery Cable Backwards

I've been troubleshooting why the house battery cut off switch won't work unless the chassis battery disconnect is off. While checking the bird relay I found no 12 volts on the chassis battery input connection. Hand over handed the cable and found it on the NEGATIVE post at the chassis batteries. The dealer replaced all the batteties and must have have done it. There's no continuity through the relay when it is energized, so I'm guessing it toasted the contacts the first time it energized after battery replacement. It would have connected house battery positive to chassis battery negative. Not good. I'll replace the relay and keep chasing the other problem.
tomgrigsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2020, 12:11 PM   #2

ouch. bad dealer
iluvuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 03:45 PM   #3

Our BIM cables were backwards from the factory. We couldn't figure out why our chassis batteries only charged when the engine was running. Tested the cables and figured out they were switched. All is well now.
Old 10-16-2020, 05:02 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvuk View Post
ouch. bad dealer
The positive cable at the chassis batteries that went to the bird isolation relay wasn't marked red. Apparently that wasn't noted when they replaced the batteries and so just hooked up black to black. It blew out the isolation relay. I've changed the relay and it's working now. I'm going to put some red tape on the cable so hopefully I won't mess it up in a couple of years.
Old 10-16-2020, 09:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgrigsby View Post
The positive cable at the chassis batteries that went to the bird isolation relay wasn't marked red. Apparently that wasn't noted when they replaced the batteries and so just hooked up black to black. It blew out the isolation relay. I've changed the relay and it's working now. I'm going to put some red tape on the cable so hopefully I won't mess it up in a couple of years.
I think you are lucky that is all that blew out. Good catch.
iluvuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 01:01 PM   #6

I see things haven't changed in the last ten years! My BIRD was mis-wired from the factory so the chassis battery wouldn't charge when plugged in to shore power. Dealer rewired it and it's worked perfectly ever since.
RetiredBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 06:29 AM   #7

I still have one issue that bugs me. At the bird there is a fuse noted in my earlier posts that connects house battery voltage to the bird for monitoring. It has a splice and a wire going to the courtesy lights (those little round ones at the floor in bath area). Those lights are on the chassis battery, so the splice effectively connects the house and chassis batteries together and keeps me from turning off house power unless I also turn off chassis power, and vice versa. That can't be right, but on another post, an owner of a freightliner chassis sent a pic of his setup and it's wired the same way.

Tags
battery, cable