Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2019, 02:33 PM   #1

BIRD Isolator Removal

I'm replacing my house batteries on my 2018 Bay Star with Battle Born batteries. Their compatibility information indicates the BIRD isolator won't work with their batteries. It will remain closed unless lithiums are at 90% SOC or higher meaning the house and chassis batteries will be connected.

They sell an isolator they've developed that takes care of that situation. It doesn't use the mechanical relay and disconnects and I think I can bypass those altogether. But are those disconnects in the BIRD system also used for the house disconnect switch or is that an entirely different system?

Here's a link to the BIRD wiring diagram if that helps: https://www.intellitec.com/assets/pd...-01000-100.pdf

And a link to the Battle Born Isolator: https://battlebornbatteries.com/shop...ation-manager/
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2019, 03:20 PM   #2

The Isolation relay ( the center one ) is the only thing that the BIRD controls.

You will still want the 2 latching relays use for battery disconnects.

You can simply disable the isolator by removing 1 small wire on the isolation solenoid.

Then run short cables from each side of the isolation solenoud to the BIM or short cables directly from each battery bank, to the BIM, If close by.

Your ignition signal for the BIM can be taken from the BIRD control.

If and when you decide to trade up, you can return all to oridinal and take your battery and BIM to the new RV.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 08:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The Isolation relay ( the center one ) is the only thing that the BIRD controls.

You will still want the 2 latching relays use for battery disconnects.

You can simply disable the isolator by removing 1 small wire on the isolation solenoid.

Then run short cables from each side of the isolation solenoud to the BIM or short cables directly from each battery bank, to the BIM, If close by.

Your ignition signal for the BIM can be taken from the BIRD control.

If and when you decide to trade up, you can return all to oridinal and take your battery and BIM to the new RV.
That makes sense. The drawing diagram is generic. And in retrospect it did seem strange to have those big disconnects just to isolate batteries.

I don't think I need the isolation relay. The BIM I'm installing is an isolation relay and a controller, kind of an all in one solution

I'm also guessing I can borrow the battery boost wire from the BIRD too. Might be easier than I feared.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:25 PM   #4

If your isolation relay is sitting between the 2 disconnect relays, with bus bars interconnecting them, then disabling and leaving in place makes sense.

If you isolation relay is standing alone with cables going to it, then you can easly replace it with the BIM. That makes it real easy.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:06 PM   #5

Appreciate the help. I need to go locate the relay and such. I know where the BIRD controller is. I'm sure the rest of it is nearby. I'll make a wire diagram and that should help me figure out what's what. I'll post again if it's confusing.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:56 AM   #6

Have someone push the boost switch repeatedly, while you listen for the isolation relay to clunk.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:13 AM   #7

Following with interest. I want to do the same upgrade to our 2018 Bay Star 3124. Please post want you find and how everything turns out. Thanks!
CUME91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:46 AM   #8

I'm thinking about replacing my batteries with Battleborn next time I need batteries, and was wondering how to isolate them from the engine alt also.

Please post details and pics of your installation.

Thanks, Randy
RPrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 11:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Have someone push the boost switch repeatedly, while you listen for the isolation relay to clunk.
Clever!
Old 03-13-2019, 03:26 PM   #10

I found the relays and isolators. They are in the same box with the clear cover. The box can be found above the radiator and air cleaner slightly off to the driver's side of the coach. That's where it is on our 2018 Bay Star anyway and probably all late model gassers. I might have to remove the air cleaner to make life easier but maybe not.

In any case, I've attached an image of what I found:

Seems to me I can just replace the BIRD controller, the black box and plug in the four leads to the new isolator. Then I can remove the battery leads from the relay and attach to the new isolator as well. Everything else will stay as is since it appears those disconnects are used for other purposes and are probably superfluous to battery charging.

I'll probably run this by Newmar before I do it. Worst case, is I have to wire in jumpers from the BIRD controller to the new isolator in order to keep the wires connected to the BIRD. I doubt it since the BIRD controller documentation says it is only for battery isolation and not disconnecting them but who knows.

We'll see! In any case, I'll document it for posterity. I'm sure I'm not the only Newmar owner that is upgrading to Battle Borns.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:46 AM   #11
KJR

Are you replacing the stock Progressive Dynamics 45amp converter charger with their lithium version? Are your choosing a higher amp version?

Thanks

KJR
KJR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
removal