RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2014, 03:35 PM   #1

Bird system

Chassis battery became drained (not completely dead) even though coach was plugged in and use/store button was in use position. Recharged the chassis batteries with a battery charger and checked voltage after complete recharge and chassis battery voltage was 12.7 and house battery read 13.4 which makes sense because it was plugged in to shore power. After one week while still plugged in chassis battery voltage down to 12.4. Doesn't, appear that the bird system is charging chassis batteries. Searched this forum and many comments said it could be the isolator relay. However not sure how to trouble shoot. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

2016 DSDP 4369, Freightliner Chassis, AF One brake system, 2016 Chevy Equinox
Tigerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2014, 04:40 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Tigerfan1 - I am having the same exact problem - intermittently. I think it is in the Bird. Purchased a replacement. Easy to change out. Have not done yet. Wouldn't ya know......as soon as I get ready to change, it starts working again and then I put it off. Will be interesting to see what others have to say.

Dave

Old 06-30-2014, 05:21 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
In QT's # 3 you will find this and also this for small solar panel on roof.
Where it maybe located in your coach.
Parts if needed.
I
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:25 PM   #4

My 2014 Canyon Star needed a new 7.5 volt fuse in the bird box and the dealer changed the bird relay to be shure the problem was solved. It works great now.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:11 PM   #5

Bird system

Is ther a way to trouble shoot the Bird or solenoids with a volt meter to determine if the may be defective causing the chassis batteries not to be charged? Thanks for the other posts.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:30 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Did you read this link to the end explains the Bird and the solenoids at end of link.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
Old 07-01-2014, 09:49 PM   #7

Bird

Did read the thread, saw the info on trouble shooting the battery disconnect but didn't see anything about trouble shooting the bird unless I missed it.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:31 PM   #8

My system Bird is working fine , and I'm glad I read this because I miss-understood the operation.
I believe the trouble shooting , would involve , tests at the wiring on the BIRD connectors, first zero ohms to ground on the ground connector.
With the coach plugged in, full coach battery charge voltage at the terminal, check at the batteries then the wire connection( coach batteries ) MUST be over 13.1 and take into account the delay, before the controller activates the relay.
Engine running , alt output voltage at both sets of batteries, & the ignition feed.
Gen set running , charge voltage at the coach batteries over 13.1 volts and again at the controller, coach battery terminal. Don't forget the delay.
My miss-understanding was , I thought the system looked for fully charged coach batteries , not just over 13.1v charging applied.
The possibility of a modern step down charging system dropping below the 13.1v threshold , exists so if the system stops charging the chassis batteries after a few days, you need to know the lowest output of your charging system. My wiring has no generator input wired to the control , the system is dependant on convertor/charger output to the coach batteries, to activate. Original manual step up 13.2>14.2v charger working fine 15 years later.

Every time you see the same voltage at both sets of batteries , shore power, engine running or gen set , that's the indicator that the isolator relay is operating.
No power , gen set , or engine , you will get slightly different readings.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:47 PM   #9

Tigerfan 1 ; I just re-read your original post , and in that case you needed to test for the same 13.4v at the bird terminal, because if you have a poor connection and it only sees 13v it won't activate the relay.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:56 PM   #10

Bird

Skip426 thanks for the reply, please forgive my ignorance with using a volt meter as I am a bit of a novice using one. To check for 13.4 volts at the bird would I put the black lead on a neutral lug like on the battery disconnect and then use the red (pos) lead to check the bird connectors and if so there are four I believe (chassis, ignition, ?, ? can't remember the other two). Would I remove the small wire off the chassis connector and use the red lead on the meter there to check for 13.4 v?

Thanks again for your help as I am trying to identify the defective component rather than just replacing things.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:04 AM   #11

If you have a multi meter , and check the ground wiring on the BIRD controller first for zero ohms to the frame of the coach, then you can use that terminal for, ground during the rest of your voltage tests.

Any electronic or electrical component on your coach , always check the grounds first. Doesn't mater how much power you supply to a component if it's not properly grounded it won't work.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:49 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
Based on failure modes the first thing that usually goes is the isolator relay switching contacts. This is because under certain conditions it is asked to pass very high amperage upon closing.
Dirt, pitting, varnish, rust, carbon, can all be preset at the contacts causing it to work sometimes but not reliably.
An ohm meter check across the contacts "while its energized" is a simple test for most who can use a DVOM. (digital volt/ohm meter)
To do it; Make sure your charger is on and the coach batteries are fully charged or at least above 13.1 volts. This voltage can be higher. As stated earlier then wait 15 seconds (usually not necessary as the batteries have been above 13.1 for at least 15sec already) then take the meter, set it to ohms and select something around the 200-300 range on the dial. Then take the 2 leads and touch them together to see a 0 in the display. Then place them at the 2 large threaded lugs (doesn't matter which one goes where but DO NOT PLACE 1 LEAD ACROSS BOTH CONTACTS) on the relay with the very large wires coming off.
If the meter is reading 0-7 ohms the relay is working. If the meter reads open with a high number then its either the contacts or the trigger circuit/bird/bad charger/bad batteries/bad ground etc.

I have experienced this same condition of dirty contacts and have been successful at disassembling and cleaning them back to proper function.

It may also be that your chassis batteries are simply worn out and need replacing.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:39 AM   #13
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Its not to often the Bird has a problem as Skip has explained and others grounds with corrosion, contacts of high arcing need to be cleaned.
Your battery ground cables on chassis frame can cause a problem on older coach if they have not been maintained over the years, wiring connections in your trsnsfer switch with leads to Gen, load center and your shore power line all screw connections clean and tight, stranded wiring will flatten out and become loose from road vibration.
Your 12v fuse panels wiring needs to be checked also. The solar panel on roof link can help with that.
My signature below has many links to other info that will help, this for instance.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
Old 07-02-2014, 04:58 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Tigerfan1, just changed out the BIRD module. Bada Bing. Problem solved. Chassis batteries charging while plugged in.

Dave