Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2017, 09:51 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
BIRD system relay

The relay controlling the combining of the two battery banks in my 2012 Canyon Star seems to have failed open. The chassis battery is discharging slowly while coach batteries are maintained. The relay is hot to the touch but the terminals continue to read different voltages. Does anyone know the ordering info for this relay?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2017, 10:12 AM   #2
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcwaz View Post
The relay controlling the combining of the two battery banks in my 2012 Canyon Star seems to have failed open. The chassis battery is discharging slowly while coach batteries are maintained. The relay is hot to the touch but the terminals continue to read different voltages. Does anyone know the ordering info for this relay?

Great diagnosis. Take a picture of it and post. Any numbers on it?

Being hot is a good sign. As a temporary fix just pile the large wires together on one post or use a nut and bolt well insulated of course.

In some cases you can take the solenoid apart and repair it.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:29 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You maybe able to clean contacts in relay check the end of this link. ---SERVICE MANUAL
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 12:38 PM   #4

Measure from ground to the "Relay" contact on the bird. It should read around 4V if it is trying to energize the relay. If it reads 0V then 1)the bird can't sense 13.3V on the house batteries, which is when it triggers relay or 2) it's a dead BIRD. The big "combining" relays are tough - I still have the original in mine.
So, if the house batteries are not over 13.3 for a minute, the bird will not energize the relay.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 02:42 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
Check the resistance across the 2 big terminals.
If more than 2-4 ohms range when closed then the contacts may be bougered.
As stated earlier you can bypass by connecting the big leads together or manually apply 12vdc to the relays small terminals and listen for a click to diagnose further.
Our relay looks like this and has had the contacts cleaned buy yours truly.
Carefully bend the 4 tabs back, remove all 4 nuts and slide apart.
Unfortunately I don't have the part number but Newmar will.
On our 1999 its the same relay that is used to turn on the engines intake grid heaters (2 of them and 2 heaters).
Car jumper cables across the 2 big terminals will do the trick also and save the contacts from having to pass mega juice from one battery bank to the other until they are closer balanced again.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5648.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	182285

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5650.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	182286
Old 11-07-2017, 05:00 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcwaz View Post
You might try this..

Go to the Newmar website...

Use the drop down menu. There select "Owner's".

Next choose "Parts and Support"

Then choose "Parts Inquiry"

In the block labeled Search Inquiry...fill in your coach number followed by CS (coach specific). I.E. XXXXXXCS, Where the x's are replaced with your build number.

If they have your coach stored...you'll get a hyperlink with your coach information. Click on it.

If you get a menu with "Parts Catalog" for your coach...select that.

Then drill down thru the menus...

Electrical...

Batteries, breakers, and fuses...

There you can go thru the pages. The relay and monitor devices should be shown.

I usually jot down the part numbers...then email Joe in the parts department to get a quote. Then call him back with my Credit Card information. It's usually shipped out within a day.

Hope that works. I don't know how long Newmar has been cataloging parts...but it's helpful to know how to look up parts for your coach if they're there.

For a lot of generic parts...you might also shop around by doing google searches. You can get a decent deal sometimes.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:46 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Parts of any kind, click on pictures for ordering info or Google it.

https://www.amazon.com/INTELLITEC-01.../dp/B072N8NYN2
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 05:28 PM   #8

We need to know what the end result was....
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 05:39 PM   #9

In case you don't have these, might be of some help. Both Gas and Diesel manuals.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Battery Disconnect Manual.pdf (330.3 KB, 112 views)
File Type: pdf BIRD Diesel2 Manual.pdf (91.8 KB, 125 views)
File Type: pdf BIRD Gas Manual.pdf (102.6 KB, 100 views)
Old 11-08-2017, 06:01 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a 2012 Canyon Star. Had the same problem. Newmar sent me the test procedures and it was pretty simple to follow. I ordered a new relay and they suggested I replace the B.I.R.D as well. They sent me parts but the relay didn't look right --they sent a diesel pusher relay by mistake. Sent the new one out and it didn't look the same. Called Newmar and was told it is the replacement relay as the one used in 2012 no longer available. Tried to do myself but the copper bar didn't line up with the new connectors on the relay. Had a mobile rv tech (more experience than me) do it, but I am going to have Newmar check it when I go by the factory. It has worked perfect since he installed it.
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 06:07 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Numerous Post on same Problem

I have had similar problems with my CS...... Items replaced - Battery, B.I.R.D. and Relay. Problem did not go away. What appears to happen... the chassis battery is begins to Charge after the Coach battery is charged. After that charging Stops, The Chassis battery, takes the place of the Coach battery and All sources using 12 volts drain down the Chassis battery. I have since added a Battery prog. This has Successfully stopped the draining of the Chassis battery.

Battery Prog - homepage

One of the Previous Post
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/rapi...in-203845.html

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/chas...on-283494.html
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 06:10 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Also, we were on the road when this problems started. Pulling the Chassis Battery lead off of the B.I.R.D. stop the Relay from getting Hot and connecting the Chassis battery to be charged by the Inverter.
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 01:51 AM   #13
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc8375 View Post
Also, we were on the road when this problems started. Pulling the Chassis Battery lead off of the B.I.R.D. stop the Relay from getting Hot and connecting the Chassis battery to be charged by the Inverter.

It is normal for a continuous duty relay/solenoid to be hot after running a few hours. They are not "latching" relays like many "salesman switch solenoids".

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 05:48 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Thumbs up Thanks for all the feedback!

The relay number provided is available from a few vendors for a little over $200. I can’t do anything except combine the battery banks at this time until I reach my winter hideaway. I am interested in dismantling the relay to see what went wrong. Thanks for all your help.