Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2022, 08:51 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I had problems when I first got my coach. My first trip to Napannee, they recalibrated the sensors and upgraded the software. I use 2 capfuls of calgon, a full cup of Dawn and three flushes to set up my black tank after every dump and have not had a problem in 2 1/2 years. I also use the tank rinse for about ten minutes after every dump. I use no other chemicals. The grey tank has given me more problem than the black tank. I assume it its kitchen grease and/or soap scum. The half to three quarter tank fill, along with Calvin and Dawn, before a big days drive seems to work though. Every thing goes back to normal after that for a month or two.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2022, 08:54 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by msobie236 View Post
Appreciate all the reply’s. Does anyone think it’s possibly gasses that cause it? I feel the hot weather may cause more gas therefore it shows the tanks full. I don’t know, I’m just throwing that out there.
The sensors look at liquid or solids only. Gas will not affect the sensors in any way.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 11:24 AM   #17

We always dumped the black with a full tank.. or nearly full. We never used an additive. For the grey we never left the valve open... always dumped when full. Never had a problem with sensors in 16 years of full-timing.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 11:39 AM   #18

I have had b this issue on all my rigsm

I have tried the geo thermal method, tank tech and commando. The black tank always have issues.

The only thing that works for me is rinsing with wand.
Old 05-10-2022, 06:17 PM   #19

My black water tank had been showing 1/3 full after draining it. I used a cleaning wand and this took care of the problem. First, you will want to open your black water drain valve. All you have to do is connect the wand to a garden hose and insert it into your toilet. I keep the toilet valve open by setting a brick on top of the pedal. I then rotated the wand 360 degrees at various levels. This is the only way I have ever been able to successfully fix this issue. It now reads empty whenever I drain the black water tank.

https://smile.amazon.com/Valterra-A0...s%2C139&sr=8-5
Old 05-10-2022, 06:31 PM   #20

I have owned and used a motorhome for the last 22 years After the first 6 months I realized the tank level indicators are not worth trying to keep them working.

What I do is after one or two showers I go out and pull the gray as far as the black ever 4 or 5 days I flush it. In the last 21 years I have never checked the level indicators.

I read over and over again about folks that try to get them to work I say why??
the sights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 06:47 PM   #21

can I ask questions about the 30 Amp & 50 Amp plug in. I don't have an RV its a 5th wheel. can I plug into my parents house for an overniter?
behillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 02:04 PM   #22

I have owned and used a motorhome for the last 22 years After the first 6 months I realized the tank level indicators are not worth trying to keep them working.

What I do is after one or two showers I go out and pull the gray as far as the black ever 4 or 5 days I flush it. In the last 21 years I have never checked the level indicators.

I read over and over again about folks that try to get them to work I say why??
the sights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 05:03 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckape View Post
When leaving a camp site ,after dumping both tanks , I fill the black tank about 1/2 and add Dawn and Calgon fabic softened . Driving seems to wash tank and clean sensors . Get to next site and dump and rinse black tank . seems to help tank stay clean and senors operating correctly .
I do this also except I use 2 All laundry packets and Calgon, same good results!
Fanukalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 06:32 PM   #24

Maybe some dont like or need sensors but I appreciate having them and keep them functioning. It not hard with a rinse after dumping and refilling a partial tank when traveling then dumping on arrival. Some cleaner and Calgon water softener helps periodically.
Everyone could probably get by if their fuel gauge failed... but why?
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 10:41 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Unless the vent stack to the roof from the black/gray tank is clogged, there should not be a pressure build up in the tanks.
Wil_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 02:10 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My Black Tank Repair

I too had the issue with the Black/Gray Tank levels on my ‘19 MA. I happened to be at the Tampa SuperShow and discussed the issue with the Silverleaf Rep. He recommended that I order ONE New Pressure Sensor and ONE Cable which I got from Silverleaf. In my case the pressure sensor sits at the bottom of the tank attached to a 90 degree elbow. (See First Picture)

The first test was to disconnect the cable from the pressure sensor, this zeroed the reading, thus eliminating issues with the Silverleaf system. Then I replaced the cable with the new one. Readings went to FULL. So the issue is confirmed that the Pressure Sensor was the problem.

Draining both tanks I removed both sensors. (First Picture) and this is what it looked like (Second Picture) and the opening was full of crud which I cleaned out (Third Picture) which was my problem. I installed the cleaned out Pressure Sensor in the Gray Tank and used the new Pressure Sensor in my Black Tank. Once reinstalled the system worked perfectly.

Now to fix the RED LIGHT on the Toilet. As previously stated, cutting the YELLOW WIRE behind a toilet cuts off the Red Light. However this is difficult to get to. So, on the Passenger Side behind the Tool Bay Panel or behind the Basement TV (my case). On top of the Black Tank is the Threaded Float that activates the RED LIGHT. I cut this WHITE wire (Fourth Picture) and installed an on/off Switch. This disables the RED LIGHT so I can easily bypass the RED LIGHT if needed.

Hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	046A6F00-BB59-4D05-BB83-1B1F7A521C01.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	303.0 KB
ID:	381274   Click image for larger version

Name:	411BCA9A-67CE-4B27-A47B-756A1F854FE6.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	381275  

Click image for larger version

Name:	A7C8AC77-743C-4D5A-B8BD-63D40469FB2F.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	195.0 KB
ID:	381276   Click image for larger version

Name:	9E13CFD9-7F11-4571-BAD0-072D70981055.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	314.7 KB
ID:	381279  

Old 11-20-2022, 02:30 PM   #27

Simple $40-50 fix...

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/torn...nk-570507.html

I used to dump my tanks and my black waste tank would continue to say 1/3 or 2/3 full. Obviously, "stuff" gets stuck on the sensors and creates this false reading. I used to use "the wand" down the toilet. That worked great. The only issue was it is a PITA. With the wand, you need to get out the hose, get out the wand, open a window, feed the hose and wand through the RV to the bathroom, use the wand, then do the reverse to get everything out hopefully without creating a mess in the RV.

Now, with the Tornado flush I spend 1-2 minutes with a hose to spray the inside of the black waste tank after flushing. I'm surprised to see HOW MUCH more "stuff" comes out of the black waste tank after the gravity flush was completed.

I don't have this flush because I'm crazy about having my black waste tank clean....I just want my sensors to work. Since adding this flush, there has never been a time when I dumped and flushed that my sensors didn't read "empty" when I was done.

Notes: You would want to make sure that the spray is hitting your sensors. Also, I see no reason why you couldn't also add this to your gray waste tank. I haven't because I haven't had the need.

Happy dumping!
Chris
SJ-Chris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grey tank, tank