Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2020, 03:55 PM   #1

Black tank False Readings

Looking for some input as to how I might be able to fix black tank readings. Dumped yesterday too empty, drove today 400 mi and yellow lights are on and I’m getting a 90% full on my screen. I have filled tank and emptied 3x and nothing!!! I need to update my signature to 2019 DSDP 4328. Any help would be great, thanks in advance.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2020, 04:52 PM   #2

Occasionally ours does this and I’ve found putting some detergent in the black tank and going for a drive will straighten it out.
Old 01-09-2020, 06:24 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance View Post
Occasionally ours does this and I’ve found putting some detergent in the black tank and going for a drive will straighten it out.
You're one of the few lucky ones. We, along with many others, have suffered with this problem almost since Day 1 of ownership.

No rhyme or reason to our readings. Can show 100% full when empty, or 20% when the tank is full.

Have followed the instructions to let Aqua-Kem soak for 3 days (done several times).

Have an appt in Feb to get the new software and firmware installed.
Old 01-09-2020, 09:50 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Soaking does not seem to be effective, without the sloshing produced by driving.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 10:00 PM   #5

What they say happens is that toilet paper sticks to the wall where the sensors are and screws up the readings.

There's several other apparent reasons offered as well and there are hundreds of fixes. The best one I've come up with in my own case is to just ignore the readings and just go by time. I know that in 10 days, I have to dump the tanks. I keep a sticky note with the date of the last dump. Also, the toilet will sort of spit if it's getting too full. And smells a bit more than usual so that's another tip off. There's only been one time when the grey overflowed into the shower stall and then onto the floor but that was a leak and another story.

Good luck. You might check out the Geo Method too. Some people report good results. Trust me, those devices that you drill holes for and insert in the tank, they only worked for a few weeks for me. Not worth the money.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 01:12 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I dump the tank, let the rinse run into the closed tank for 3 minutes, drain again, repeat, run 3 minutes of water, leave that rinse water in the tank. Go inside, add 1 cup of Dawn detergent to the toilet, flush, drive to your destination, drain. Rinse until clear water returns. Your experience may vary, but the sloshing detergent works for me. This procedure worked for my 2 previous coaches. I'm confident the procedure will keep this one working also.

Bob
BBorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 10:11 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Black tank sensor are notorious for not working. You are better off with the See-Level monitors.

Use lots of water in the tank, and flush when you dump. It is not the recommended procedure but close the black tank when flushing and partially fill it. I use the time on my cell phone as a reminder to open the valve. If you over fill, you can rupture the tank and that is a big expensive mess.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 02:37 AM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I guess I've been one of the lucky ones, I hope I don't jinx myself. I've read about this issue for years and was actually expecting to have this issue with my 2019. It was never an issue in my 2014.

Here is our procedure. We use ONLY Scotts one ply paper, available everywhere. I leave the toilets on HIGH water, unless we're boondocking. It takes exactly 2.5 days of use to fill our black tank.

I have the Drainmaster automatic black tank valve and when the yellow light comes on, I just electrically open the black tank drain from inside the coach. If I have a very secure sewer fitting (threaded), outside at the drain, I will turn on the SaniCon and it drains in under a minute. If it's an old drain hole with no threads, I open the drain wait about 5 minutes until the tank empties. Using gravity only.

I don't use chemical (Happy Camper), unless the weather is hot and we're boondocking.

I've always wondered if weather temps have any correlation to the issue. We live out west and the coach rarely sees temps below 60 degrees in the bays.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 02:54 AM   #9

Welcom to the world of RVing. Forget the tank levels. Don't loose any sleep over it. Mine haven't worked in 4 years. I dump every 10 days weather it needs it or not. Once you LEARN the hard way how far you can go you will NEVER forget.

As for your signature, go to the top left of the page to "cp user". It will bring you to a pop up. scroll down to "Edit signature" Don't forget to save it.
Old 01-11-2020, 05:40 AM   #10

My wife brought home some Commando black tank cleaner home, and I tried it. I followed directions and got the tank gauges to read "Empty." Hooray!

Then the very first day of using it they read 2/3 again before noon.

Personally, I'm giving up.
Old 01-11-2020, 07:30 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
If it is a Newmar with KIB sensors, you may need the upgraded program AND new sensor strips. Worked for my Fresh Tank and Black Tank with no problems since last June (an we are full time so it has been exercised well). But did not replace the sensor on my Grey Tank because it was working. It stopped working. Appointment at Nappanee next spring to replace that sensor (among a few other things).
Old 01-11-2020, 07:32 AM   #12

In two rvs Ive owned, and several others Ive traveled in, the black tank sensors are never accurate. As a general rule, use the fresh water level as an indicator of how full the waste tanks are. When the fresh water gets low, you know the tanks are getting full. I have never filled the black tank ever. The gray tank indicator is somewhat accurate as well, but could be out of wack. It will always be the first to fill up. Some rvs have secondary sinks plumbed into the black tanks, but I doubt that would make a huge difference. Most of the water goes into the gray tanks from showers, and washing dishes. I wouldn't lose any sleep over the black tank indicator not working. Im going to bet 90 percent of them are not accurate. Mine always reads two turds full.
Old 01-11-2020, 07:49 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67vette View Post
Looking for some input as to how I might be able to fix black tank readings. Dumped yesterday too empty, drove today 400 mi and yellow lights are on and I’m getting a 90% full on my screen. I have filled tank and emptied 3x and nothing!!! I need to update my signature to 2019 DSDP 4328. Any help would be great, thanks in advance.
Welcome to the Real Rv'ing Facts, Black tank reading are Rarely Correct!

So rare that I've never in 50 years had one that worked correctly.

Over the years you will understand that the Black tank Rarely fills as fast as the rest, again in 50 years have never had one be overfilled, Close, when the RV was used as a Porta Potty at a NCAA Tournament Game, so I just don't worry about it.

Couple other things to think about - If you use the Tanks - Normally they likely will never be filled before you run out of Water.

If you use when Boondocking we generally Put all the extra water possible into the Black tank - Now when we dump it Flows. - -

When we first started this RV'ing thing I worried about getting it - the Black tank Clean - - not anymore - it's a Black Tank ...........

If you insist then look at this it may help - but no Guarantee! - https://wheelingit.us/2012/03/21/rv-...he-geo-method/

Enjoy the new Coach, use more water, and ignore the Black Tank Sensor - You know what and how much is in there.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 04:13 PM   #14

I had this identical problem a year ago on my 2014 MADP- I ordered a new sensor & installed it myself- not a job for newbies or novice! Hardest part was getting to the sensor- have to raise the wet-bay control panel a few inches & have an excellent feel in your right fingers to blindly get the new sensor to start threading back in. Took me about 2 1/2 hours but saved $350 in labor at Independence RV in Wintergarden, FL.- being retired & and an 'Old Farm Boy with a little dangerous education' I was pleased to be making $140/ hour!

Happy Trails
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, tank