Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2023, 06:28 AM   #1

Black tank reading going up, up, up !

2020 Ventana 4369

Last trip was about 30 days ago. Flushed the black tank and emptied it the last day before coming home. Reading was showing 15% when we got home.

Pulled the coach out of the shop to wash and prep for upcoming trip. Black tank was showing 85%. Spent a good 45 minutes flushing and emptying. Put it back in the shop, checked the gauge and it was showing 50%. Wasn't concerned as normally the readings take a little time to correct. Checked the next day and it was showing 85%, then 95%, now it's at 100%.

I tried a 12V reset, but didn't change anything.
So, what would cause the black tank gauge to keep going up when not in use ?
Plan on trying a longer reset later today.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2023, 07:47 AM   #2

My tank sensors were doing something similar to what you describe earlier this year. I treated my tank with Happy Campers Extreme Cleaner and now the sensors and the display behave normally. I think that a film builds up inside the tank and it confuses the sensors. If you clean the tank to remove the film, then the sensors will return to normal operation.
Old 05-30-2023, 10:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C. View Post
My tank sensors were doing something similar to what you describe earlier this year. I treated my tank with Happy Campers Extreme Cleaner and now the sensors and the display behave normally. I think that a film builds up inside the tank and it confuses the sensors. If you clean the tank to remove the film, then the sensors will return to normal operation.
That's my plan, although I've flushed and cleaned them already. Since the gauge is reading 100% I'll have to cut or disable the yellow wire since both toilets are macerator and wont flush at 100%.
Old 05-30-2023, 11:43 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSuper View Post
2020 Ventana 4369

Last trip was about 30 days ago. Flushed the black tank and emptied it the last day before coming home. Reading was showing 15% when we got home.

Pulled the coach out of the shop to wash and prep for upcoming trip. Black tank was showing 85%. Spent a good 45 minutes flushing and emptying. Put it back in the shop, checked the gauge and it was showing 50%. Wasn't concerned as normally the readings take a little time to correct. Checked the next day and it was showing 85%, then 95%, now it's at 100%.

I tried a 12V reset, but didn't change anything.
So, what would cause the black tank gauge to keep going up when not in use ?
Plan on trying a longer reset later today.
On our 2019 Ventana the toilets would not flush when it read at 95% even though it was empty. In a cargo bay on driver's side is a circuit board, hopefully on your 2020 too. Pull the wire that connects to 'Toilet 100%' labeling; see attached pic. Ours was yellow and I wrapped a tiny gear tie around it. This will keep your toilet from shutting down due to a misread. Be careful that you are not truly full.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Toilet Warning Wires Yellow Pulled.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	230.4 KB
ID:	394117  
righellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 01:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by righellis View Post
On our 2019 Ventana the toilets would not flush when it read at 95% even though it was empty. In a cargo bay on driver's side is a circuit board, hopefully on your 2020 too. Pull the wire that connects to 'Toilet 100%' labeling; see attached pic. Ours was yellow and I wrapped a tiny gear tie around it. This will keep your toilet from shutting down due to a misread. Be careful that you are not truly full.
Thanks ! Before you posted this, I found the yellow wire behind the pegboard coming from the black box and cut it. That solved the issue as I was able to flush and add my tank cleaner. 'I've filled the black tank and will let it sit overnight, then go driving tomorrow. For now I added quick disconnects to the wire ends and left it hanging below the black plastic cover. When I have time I'll add a switch for the next time this happens.
Old 05-31-2023, 12:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Which Ventana model did you have? Do you remember which bay and was it with other wiring/boards, or just a random board? I need to find this in case I have a future problem. Had thought about putting a toggle switch at each controller location, but if it's as simple as disconnecting one wire, I think that would be simpler.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 04:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
Which Ventana model did you have? Do you remember which bay and was it with other wiring/boards, or just a random board? I need to find this in case I have a future problem. Had thought about putting a toggle switch at each controller location, but if it's as simple as disconnecting one wire, I think that would be simpler.
On my 2020 Ventana 4369 FL the black box and yellow wire were behind the pegboard. I only had to remove the upper black plastic cover to access everything. Cutting the wire there turned the red light off on both toilets.
Old 05-31-2023, 05:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSuper View Post
On my 2020 Ventana 4369 FL the black box and yellow wire were behind the pegboard. I only had to remove the upper black plastic cover to access everything. Cutting the wire there turned the red light off on both toilets.
I think that's the control box for the half bath toilet (surprised it did both, but I guess they are in series). That's where I had always intended to put a toggle or the like. However, the board shown above I believe is different, and likely the other end of that wire, and is a simple unplug.

I think on the 4369 the other box is in the removable panel next to the toilet, under the closet.
Old 06-01-2023, 01:18 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
I think that's the control box for the half bath toilet (surprised it did both, but I guess they are in series). That's where I had always intended to put a toggle or the like. However, the board shown above I believe is different, and likely the other end of that wire, and is a simple unplug.

I think on the 4369 the other box is in the removable panel next to the toilet, under the closet.
My recollection is yours, not them being in series. That is why my dealer's tech told me about the circuit board to unplug.
righellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 05:34 AM   #10

Quote:

I looked next to the master toilet but the only thing there was the heat register.
Old 06-01-2023, 05:38 AM   #11

Quote:
My recollection is yours, not them being in series. That is why my dealer's tech told me about the circuit board to unplug.
I think the reason I felt like it affected both toilets was both red lights went out, but, cutting the wire changed the percentage on the panel, which made both toilets operable. Basically I got lucky.
Old 06-01-2023, 07:12 AM   #12

Cleaning holding tanks

Stuff on tank level sensors has been an eternal pain for RV's. I have tried several methods of cleaning. I used various chemicals with little improvement.

I gave up, but tried one more seemingly too simple method. Fill tank 1/4 full with clean water. Drive 100 miles. Drain and flush tank. Sensors start working again.

Normally I drain, refill, and flush three times. I use a transparent fitting to see when water runs clear but continue to get solids out.

I have had only minor issues since. Always cleared up using partial fill and drive for a while method.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 07:43 AM   #13

I fought this for a while in our VTDP due to struvite buildup. Lots of rinsing and using the Unique Tank Sensor Cleaning Product has helped tremendously. I still see some goofy readings after dumps but the levels tend to be much more accurate after a few uses of this product.
My procedure is to completely empty, then fill the tank with 20-30 gallons of water, I use a cheap garden hose water flow meter connected to the spray bar to have a good idea of how much I'm putting in. I add the unique sensor cleaner product and let it sit in the tank for 48+ hours (I've even done this while I've left the coach in storage for a week or longer). If you can manage a drive, even better and then immediately dump and rinse the holy buhgeezus out of the tank, filling multiple times and dumping. Not being able to flush on an obvious sensor error is a major headache. There really ought to be a way to override this without disassembling part of the coach....
One other comment made me also remember that I'm putting much more water back in the black tank, now and that also seems to help. after dumping, I will put about 5-10 gallons of water in the tank and also add my normal black tank treatment packet. I do this regardless whether I'm putting it away or not.
Memphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 07:28 AM   #14

Quote:

For those looking, on my 2019 Ventana 4369, the board shown in the picture a few posts above was in my cord reel/electric bay. It is on the right side wall of this compartment. For enough back I needed to use my phone camera to get a good luck and confirm that it has the 100%/75% tank connectors.

Tags
black tank, tank