Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2021, 08:30 PM   #1

Black Water Sensor Failure

The toilet flush switch is flashing red and will not allow the toilet flush. I believe there’s blockage on one of the sensors. I have emptied the tank and filled it several times using the tank rinse hook up. Without the ability to operate the toilet, how can I add sensor cleaner to the black water tank?
Traveltime09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2021, 10:53 PM   #2

Can you empty the tank and flush it?
Or if no flush kit installed, then use a power washer jetter hose via the dump valve to clean the system. Modify a clear discharge elbow to allow the jetter hose entrance to keep things a bit more sano to clean.

Easier, I am sure there is an electrical bypass method so that the system can be flushed even if the sensor thinks the tank is full.
Old 12-05-2021, 07:56 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Pull the F8 fuse on your indoor fuse box. Wait 5 minutes and reinstall….this will reset the sensors….report back…..
Old 12-05-2021, 08:02 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveltime09 View Post
The toilet flush switch is flashing red and will not allow the toilet flush. I believe there’s blockage on one of the sensors. I have emptied the tank and filled it several times using the tank rinse hook up. Without the ability to operate the toilet, how can I add sensor cleaner to the black water tank?
If the red light is on, the tank float sensor is stuck, not the actual tank sensors. It's located behind the pegboard on my 2015 Dutch Star and is a white screw cap that you can unscrew and free up the float. If you cut the yellow wire your toilet will flush again as well, wires attached to toilet controller behind pegboard and also in rear bathroom behind lower right vent under washer cabinet.
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 09:18 AM   #5

Black tank showing fulle when it’s not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveltime09 View Post
Not sure what year and make and model you have but when I had a similar problem last year…when I knew the tank was empty but showing full,I went in behind the toilet and snipped the yellow wire and that allowed the toilet to flush again…obviously be careful hot to overfill the black tank…you will know when it’s nearing full,if like mine,it gurgles a little while flushing….my problem turned out to be a sensor gone bad…..but before going that far in replacing the sensor,if you can swap the gray tank wires with the black tank wires whether or not the problem follows narrows it down a bunch….you might also put enough water in the black tank to cover the sensor,and add a big dose of happy camper,dawn dishwashing soap,and agitate while driving,in case it’s just something stuck on the sensor itself….also as mentioned,flush the black tank a few times……good luck joe b 2019 king aire
Old 12-05-2021, 03:24 PM   #6

Thanks for all the suggestions. We have filled the tank several times, but only with water. Will try the suggested detergent. Have pull the fuses, but will also try again. Will keep you posted on the progress.
Old 12-05-2021, 03:46 PM   #7

If you have killed the power to the toilet and it’s still flashing red it may be the controller for the macerate toilet. If you cut the yellow wire you can flush. Does your black tank monitor show how full the tanks is? If it’s not reading correctly that can cause your issues too. I’ve found that the best way to get the black tank sensors to reset is to turn the salesman switch off for 60 seconds and turn back on. Should allow the sensors to reset and read correctly.
PaulTNaples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 03:58 PM   #8

Pulled the fuse, did not help, but used the dawn and it worked miracles. For right now back in business. Thank each of you for your replies. This is a great place to get great answers and solve issues.
Happy trails!
Old 12-05-2021, 04:00 PM   #9
tcg

I can't help with your sensor problem but I deal with a lot of electronic toilets in boats. Most all of them have an over ride where you either press and hold or a series of button presses that will flush the toilet. What it's doing is opening the valve to drain the toilet and putting it into service mode. The same key press will close the valve.

That's not a solution for your particular problem but it may get you or someone else through a sticky situation. Check your manual.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water