Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2020, 01:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ RV'r View Post
Hate to ask, but I guess I’m not seeing it..... could someone put up the older design vs the new improved one, and mark the area to look at. I have this tow bar and I am unsure what I am trying to look for on mine to see if I have the one that could be prone to failure. Thanks!
AZRV'r- look at the two posts above by RichnSue- todays post @ 0808 hrs is the old design- contrast that to their todays post @ 0830 hrs is the new design.
I hope this clears this design change up for you? The new design doesn't have a bent yoke that the square tubing is welded to- the new design runs the 2 side fingers straight & the tubing is welded to it in straight fillet welds -topn & bottom on both sides- much better design & stronger than the old design.

Happy Trails
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2020, 01:53 PM   #16

I just went back & looked at the pics again. Yes , the original looks like a poor design structurally. I also looked at the receiver tube on the MH and unless it is the angle of the pic or something it looks like a 2" bar fitted into a 2 5/16" receiver. That isn't good. There should be a spacer tube in there.
I do find it odd that this seems to be the only name brand tow bar that I ever see postings of a failure for. Maybe they aren't so "name brand " after all.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 02:11 PM   #17

Freightliner Owners Club
You're very lucky! Mine cracked while doing 65 mph on I-95 in SC!

However mine cracked at the telescoping shaft so I still had one shaft holding the Jeep to the RV!

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/blue...ph-155643.html

Did you make any sharp turns before it cracked?

The only thing I can think of that contributed to my crack was a turn out of Camping World in NC a few hours before. It didn't seem like an extreme turn at the time but maybe it was enough to tweek my telescoping shaft.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 02:26 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy-c View Post
I just went back & looked at the pics again. Yes , the original looks like a poor design structurally. I also looked at the receiver tube on the MH and unless it is the angle of the pic or something it looks like a 2" bar fitted into a 2 5/16" receiver. That isn't good. There should be a spacer tube in there.
I do find it odd that this seems to be the only name brand tow bar that I ever see postings of a failure for. Maybe they aren't so "name brand " after all.
I have a 2 1/2 sleeve adapter that fits inside, can't see it in photo.
96kpmjmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 02:28 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
You're very lucky! Mine cracked while doing 65 mph on I-95 in SC!

However mine cracked at the telescoping shaft so I still had one shaft holding the Jeep to the RV!

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/blue...ph-155643.html

Did you make any sharp turns before it cracked?

The only thing I can think of that contributed to my crack was a turn out of Camping World in NC a few hours before. It didn't seem like an extreme turn at the time but maybe it was enough to tweek my telescoping shaft.
No crazy sharp turns, just normal turns to make sure all is good and locked.
Old 10-20-2020, 05:07 PM   #20

Kevin,
Glad you were safe and it happened during your pre trip check. Does the Apollo come in a 2” receiver hitch or is it just 2 1/2 and will that fit? I’m ordering a new tow bar in the next few weeks.
Old 10-20-2020, 05:35 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU Camper View Post
Kevin,
Glad you were safe and it happened during your pre trip check. Does the Apollo come in a 2” receiver hitch or is it just 2 1/2 and will that fit? I’m ordering a new tow bar in the next few weeks.
Thank you, It is my understanding that the Apollo only comes with a 2 1/2, but am not 100% sure
Old 10-20-2020, 09:00 PM   #22

Glad yours didn't let go at speed!

Wow! That scared me so I walked out in my underwear (fortunately, its moonless tonight) and inspected my 3 1/2 year old Avail with a flashlight. I have the new design

I also noticed the new design is fillet-welded on the inside as well as substantial welding all around the edge of the outside.
evofxdwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 09:07 PM   #23

[Mod Edit]

Anybody who has that older style Blue Ox Avail tower is subject to the same failure.
evofxdwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 09:33 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
This thread got me up and out looking at my tow bars. I have the Aveta LX with the ball design. Will need to pay more attention to them.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 07:06 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
If you get a chance see if you can detect and photograph any corrosion along the weld that might indicate where it started failing and maybe how long it had been failing.
It will help other inspect theirs.

Also I've reported failures to manufactures to be told "that has never happened before" when I'm fairly certain it has.
Old 10-21-2020, 07:37 AM   #26

I agree with cruiserEd. The statement you got from Blue Ox is their statement about ANY failure anyone experiences with their products. They ABSOLUTELY REFUSE to accept responsibility for any problems with their products.

I'd strongly advise you to file a deficiency report with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) Although it won't do you any good in your dealings with BO, it will serve as a failure trend indicator if others are having similar problems and can serve as a vehicle to FORCE BO into fixing a dangerous product. NHTSA form can be found at https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/ I was a Safety Engineer for over 20 years back in my working days

For other RV'ers using Blue Ox equipment... I'd STRONGLY recommend you very closely inspect Blue Ox equipment on a FREQUENT BASIS. This holds for tow bars, base plates, and the vehicle frames on the RV and toad. Blue Ox is NOT your friend here and will do anything and everything to disavow any failures or impending failures you find.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 07:38 AM   #27

[Mod Edit]

CruzerED, your right, manufactures saying "that never has happen", go look at the new Avail and replacement 2" shank, they have made a change for the better
Old 10-21-2020, 11:40 AM   #28

I recently sent my 3 year old tow bar back to Blue Ox for routine service. They charge $150 which includes round trip shipping. When I spoke to them on the phone, I was advised by the tech that they had changed the design of the shank “So I just went ahead and replaced it at no charge.” Guess I may have dodged a bullet.
gweiner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue ox