Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2020, 04:02 PM   #99

Blue OX Avail Failure

I went with a Demco. Very happy. I will say that I ordered the Dominator. It has a 10k tow rating. My 2019 Jeep Wrangler is only 5k. I like to have a safety factor. That’s just me.
PaulTNaples is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2020, 08:23 AM   #100

So all identified failures are with a discontinued design of one model and people are done with Blue Ox entirely? There are thousands of their products in use and it’s not in anyone’s best interest to paint BO with such a broad brush. At least one report I read involved a tow bar purchased used and, of course, neither the owner nor Blue Ox has any idea if it was abused or previously damaged. Just inspect your equipment frequently and use it as designed and you’ll be fine. IMO
Old 10-29-2020, 09:07 AM   #101

I just discovered this thread and read through all 8 pages. For me the two takeaways are:
(1) Remember to regularly inspect your tow bars and all related hardware and cabling.
(2) If a manufacturer's honesty and integrity are important to you (at least as communicated through its customer service representatives), don't do business with Blue Ox. There are lots of choices in the market.
Old 10-29-2020, 10:43 AM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesMH View Post
So all identified failures are with a discontinued design of one model and people are done with Blue Ox entirely? There are thousands of their products in use and it’s not in anyone’s best interest to paint BO with such a broad brush. At least one report I read involved a tow bar purchased used and, of course, neither the owner nor Blue Ox has any idea if it was abused or previously damaged. Just inspect your equipment frequently and use it as designed and you’ll be fine. IMO
I'm about to install a new tow package for a new MH and tow vehicle, and it's turned me off. But it's not the one bad design that's been doing it, as you suggest. It's how Blue Ox has apparently been handling the issue ("huh...we've never seen that happen before," and the like). And that attitude, presumably, spreads across their entire product line, good and bad designs alike.
southardrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 12:17 PM   #103

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
I thought I would put this into the discussion even thou it is a different model of BO tow bar. My Aladdin came lose, but not due to a crack in the weld. I was told by Blue ox that the aluminum fatigues differently especially when aluminum and steel meet. The aluminum inner leg and the steel nut at the end came apart. When I called BO they were very matter of fact, it just happens, no warranty, but did tell me not to replace the leg as the other leg would be in the same condition. I replaced it with a 10,000lb steel tow bar. I saw the car in my camera and came to a very slow stop, so no damage was done. I have talked to every Aladdin owner I see about the tow bar and found 2 that had the same fatigue issues.
2017 Ford Explorer toad
alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 01:34 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunvale View Post
Would need a close up of the weld, but from what I see it looks like a burned weld and not a clean controlled temp weld.
Its not a weld failure!
Look at the pics in post #1 & 3 you will see the weld of the yoke to the tube is intact - its a crack in the yoke at the 90* bend... maybe affected by heat of the adjacent weld but its a crack in the yoke metal.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 01:42 PM   #105

Quote:
I think you missed the point that...
1) BO modified the design... wonder why?
2) They repeatedly claim 1st time they heard of a problem - which from reports is BS
3) They will not stand behind a failed product - if its so few why wouldn't they supply an improved design yoke at no or low cost to those with failures?

The cost of "good will" doing the right thing is minor compared to the "bad press" they are receiving... poor business decision making IMO

I also had an older Alum BO bar with an enlarged pivot point hole. When contacted they indicated they changed the design ( new yoke was steel) they suggested I toss the old (bar not yoke) and replace it with a new one (bar). That should have been my clue to go back to RM but I guess I'm just a little slow at answering a wake up call!

I have had both RoadMaster & BO but won't recommend BO to others getting started w towing or will never replace it with another BO.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 03:26 PM   #106

It is obvious by your picture the weld was not done
properly and failed. Blue Ox should have stood behind their product!
SteveW123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 03:51 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulTNaples View Post
I went with a Demco. Very happy. I will say that I ordered the Dominator. It has a 10k tow rating. My 2019 Jeep Wrangler is only 5k. I like to have a safety factor. That’s just me.

I’ve run a Demco Commander 6000 lb, towed weighs 3000 lb, for 5 years. No problems to date. I was experienced with Demco farm implements, which swayed my choice when shopping for tow systems.
SteveW123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 04:20 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
I think you missed the point that...
1) BO modified the design... wonder why?
2) They repeatedly claim 1st time they heard of a problem - which from reports is BS
3) They will not stand behind a failed product - if its so few why wouldn't they supply an improved design yoke at no or low cost to those with failures?

The cost of "good will" doing the right thing is minor compared to the "bad press" they are receiving... poor business decision making IMO

I also had an older Alum BO bar with an enlarged pivot point hole. When contacted they indicated they changed the design ( new yoke was steel) they suggested I toss the old (bar not yoke) and replace it with a new one (bar). That should have been my clue to go back to RM but I guess I'm just a little slow at answering a wake up call!

I have had both RoadMaster & BO but won't recommend BO to others getting started w towing or will never replace it with another BO.
Thank you .. I was just get ready to 'Explain" this.
Mr Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 08:33 PM   #109
NXR

The later Equinox cars have two thin flanges on each side that the baseplate bolts to. Roadmaster and Demco also have a second attach method to the car's structure but not the Blue Ox. It just bolts to those thin flanges.

When placing the Blue Ox baseplate, you need to take a hammer and gently smack the flange to bend it so the baseplate will slide over it. Seriously. WTH?

So I went non-Blue Ox.

Ray
Old 10-30-2020, 06:18 AM   #110

Quote:

Pete, did you READ the comments? The failures discussed are not limited to one design, or one product. Google "Tow Bar Failures", and you'll get a LOT of reading material, the vast majority of which concerns Blue Ox. And the responses from Blue Ox that "this if the first time we've ever seen this failure" is a common thread in many of them. Seldom does BO replace the tow bar for free, and often heard from BO is that they "life" of a tow bar is only 5 years . . . which is what they tell customers when there is a failure, but I can't find it in any of their sales literature . . . or owner's manuals . . . which in my mind is pretty deceptive. BO sells many many different types of products. I'm sure that many of them are good. But the discussion is about tow bars, and company practices . . . which many find distasteful. I'm one of that "many". No one is telling you that YOU HAVE to stop buying BO products, only that THEY won't be buying them anymore. Cheers!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 06:34 AM   #111

Quote:
Discontinued design??? The Avail is a current model. Suffice it to say Blue Ox has gone down hill over the last 10 years or so, like I said I was a loyal Blue Ox user for over 25 years, and now I am done with them. My tow bar wasn't even 1 1/2 years old. JMO!
Bill767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 07:50 AM   #112

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
I've too been carefully following this thread as I also purchased a new aluminum Blue Ox Ascent. What I'm seeing is normal market forces and expected interaction. What I mean is that Blue Ox has their business practices set the way their company management have decided. If competition cuts in to their business, they will change and compete, or they will go out of business. The same can be said for any competitive business.

If you are purchasing now, then you might want to consider the competition as other's have suggested. At this point in time, if it were me, I don't see any compelling reason why I should go with Blue Ox. There's certainly not an overwhelming counter-point being made on the thread here.

For us, we're committed since we've already made the purchase. It's a large expense, for sure but we'll not panic. As suggested, we'll continue to inspect our tow bar carefully and keep an eye on threads such as this one and, when time comes to trade for another one, we'll make our decision then. Who knows, BO may be a different company with a different product in 5-7 years. And I, for one, like their Patriot Braking System, so I'm not in the camp to shun them at the moment.

Like anything else in a healthy free-market economy, the snapshot today favors the competition and you can't deny the level of brand loyalty seen in the thread here.
TexasJeff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue ox