Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2020, 08:16 AM   #113

Newmar Owners Club
This is not the first thread about a Blue Ox failure.
As I said earlier in this thread, I sold a New in the Box Blue Ox & went with RoadMaster after reading a thread back in 2016 about Blue Ox failures. In that thread Blue Ox also told people that "We have never had this happen before".

So here we are agin, 4 years later, & Blue Ox is telling people that this is a first?

I have not heard anyone say that Blue Ox requested to have the failed unit sent back for inspection by their engineers. Had this been RoadMaster, they would want it back to inspect & would send a return shipping label.

I'll stay with my RoadMaster & their customer support.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2020, 08:57 AM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveW123 View Post
It is obvious by your picture the weld was not done
properly and failed. Blue Ox should have stood behind their product!
Look again and look closely at the top view.
No weld involved
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 11:52 AM   #115

Thank you Blue Ox CS

October 23 10:51am filled out a "contact us" form on the BO website, stating what I have going on, a crack in the yoke bend and asked for a replacement with the new design

Same day 2 hours later BO CS with a real email name contacted me asking for a picture, which I sent

Same day 4:07pm BO CS confirmed they would replace and send a new one n/c. Also rec'd a return label with RA number to send the old part back, n/c to return

Today, October 30 rec'd the new hitch connector, washer kit, new nyloc nut and instructions

That's a company I will continue to do business with.

As others have written, check all your equipment often and during a trip when you stop for a rest or fuel

Thanks Blue Ox
Old 10-31-2020, 07:31 AM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichnSue View Post
October 23 10:51am filled out a "contact us" form on the BO website, stating what I have going on, a crack in the yoke bend and asked for a replacement with the new design

Same day 2 hours later BO CS with a real email name contacted me asking for a picture, which I sent

Same day 4:07pm BO CS confirmed they would replace and send a new one n/c. Also rec'd a return label with RA number to send the old part back, n/c to return

Today, October 30 rec'd the new hitch connector, washer kit, new nyloc nut and instructions

That's a company I will continue to do business with.

As others have written, check all your equipment often and during a trip when you stop for a rest or fuel

Thanks Blue Ox

Sounds like they may be reading this forum! That's the type of response they SHOULD have. Unfortunately many of the people posting didn't get the same response . . .
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 08:02 AM   #117

National RV Owners Club
3 days ago, I wanted to contact Blue Ox about my older Aventa II 10,000 lb. tow bar.
I went online to get their # and speak to someone personally.
About the only "official" Blue Ox site I seen was "Blueox.com"
This is not them. Just some company selling their products.(just like etrailer.com) I looked at my paperwork and called the local factory Nebraska # and got a tech guy.
He was very nice and helpful. He told me where to find my date code. He told me my unit was pretty old and they don't rebuild that unit anymore, but gave me all the part #s (I already had).
He said 8 years was the limit on what they rebuild in the shop. Then he explained how to inspect everything on my own. (I'm a professional welder)
He also said he always recommends the 10,000 lb. model personally. It looks just like mine with fancy paint.

I cannot help but feel much of the confusion is between blueox.com and Blue Ox themselves.
Old 10-31-2020, 08:04 AM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill767 View Post
Discontinued design??? The Avail is a current model. Suffice it to say Blue Ox has gone down hill over the last 10 years or so, like I said I was a loyal Blue Ox user for over 25 years, and now I am done with them. My tow bar wasn't even 1 1/2 years old. JMO!
I said the DESIGN has been discontinued. Not the MODEL. They changed it to make it better - I.e. to reduce the problems and failures. Good companies do that with their products. These failure reports seem to be mostly, if not entirely, about products that are out of warranty. What do you people think a limited warranty means? I know of at least one failure where the owner didn’t have brakes on the towed car. Do you suppose that might be an owner induced failure? And another where the product was purchased used. Do owners inspect and rebuild their products as recommended? How is a manufacturer to know if the product has been abused? I have spoken with BO on several occasions and always have found them to be supportive and responsive. I use a Ascent tow bar that works great. I understand fear and loathing but so far I’m a loyal BO user.
Old 10-31-2020, 10:15 AM   #119

I've been a Blue OX user since 2001 and never had a problem EXCEPT when the bar couldn't stand the heat. Our coach caught fire and the Blue OX bar burnt to a crisp and joined the rest of the pile of rubbish that used to be our loved motorhome. I guess "they just don't make them like they used to"!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 06:20 AM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesMH View Post
I said the DESIGN has been discontinued. Not the MODEL. They changed it to make it better - I.e. to reduce the problems and failures. Good companies do that with their products. These failure reports seem to be mostly, if not entirely, about products that are out of warranty. What do you people think a limited warranty means? I know of at least one failure where the owner didn’t have brakes on the towed car. Do you suppose that might be an owner induced failure? And another where the product was purchased used. Do owners inspect and rebuild their products as recommended? How is a manufacturer to know if the product has been abused? I have spoken with BO on several occasions and always have found them to be supportive and responsive. I use a Ascent tow bar that works great. I understand fear and loathing but so far I’m a loyal BO user.
Oaky, now I am lost. You say the design had been discontinued?? My Avail was brand new when I bought it, and I can buy a brand new, exactly the same Avail today. What am I missing. And as I said I had been a loyal Blue Ox customer for 25 years, I have installed perhaps 10 baseplates, and bought and used 5-6 different tow bars, even went their and they used my new truck as a template for a new baseplate. I have had excellent customer service from them as recently as 3 years ago, but when my 1 1/2 year old Avail was starting to fail in the exact same manner as it did when they sent me a new part, this time their answer was to attack me, and what had I been doing, and telling me I had to send it in, and this time they would not send me the replacement part. Then, amazingly decided that my problem was okay for now based on the picture I sent them. Then they told me I needed to have the bar serviced every year! I read to them the quote from their manual 2 years, and that didn't phase them a bit. All this after I switched to an Avail after having wear issues with the previous tow bar which is discontinued. I lost all confidence in this company, they have lost their customer service, their quoted, "Oh, we've never experienced that before", an out and out lie. I gave them every chance, stayed with them for 25 years, and now I am a happy Roadmaster owner. Each to his own.
Bill767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 06:23 AM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by FusionKing View Post
3 days ago, I wanted to contact Blue Ox about my older Aventa II 10,000 lb. tow bar.
I went online to get their # and speak to someone personally.
About the only "official" Blue Ox site I seen was "Blueox.com"
This is not them. Just some company selling their products.(just like etrailer.com) I looked at my paperwork and called the local factory Nebraska # and got a tech guy.
He was very nice and helpful. He told me where to find my date code. He told me my unit was pretty old and they don't rebuild that unit anymore, but gave me all the part #s (I already had).
He said 8 years was the limit on what they rebuild in the shop. Then he explained how to inspect everything on my own. (I'm a professional welder)
He also said he always recommends the 10,000 lb. model personally. It looks just like mine with fancy paint.

I cannot help but feel much of the confusion is between blueox.com and Blue Ox themselves.
So how do you find the date?
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 04:50 AM   #122

I purchased a 10K pound Blue ox Avail new in a box about a year ago. I went to the storage yesterday and discovered it is the old style. It has pulled our toad about 9K miles so far. Now I am worried that it will fail. I sent Blue OX a message to see if they will exchange it.
hewebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 01:39 PM   #123

If they won't exchange it you can purchase a new new design tail piece. I was quoted about $335.00.
dougfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 12:25 AM   #124

Blue ox old style

I would take it to a certified welder and have side plates welded on. I would be 100%!confident at that point
dsavage74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 04:59 AM   #125

Thumbs down

Quote:
I purchased a 10K pound Blue ox Avail new in a box about a year ago. I went to the storage yesterday and discovered it is the old style. It has pulled our toad about 3K miles so far. Now I am worried that it will fail. I sent Blue OX a message to see if they will exchange it.
They still refuse to admit they have a problem. I will have plates welded to it and have it powder coated. I made a mistake on the total miles towed in original post 9K should be 3K.

I hope those of you that have had a problem will report it to the DOT

Blue Ox Reply:

Howard,
We haven’t had any recall’s or anything along those lines. That tow bar you had is able to handle the weight of your SRX. As long as you are towing within 3in of level and get it serviced during the recommended time period (10-12k miles or every 2 years) your tow bar will work just fine. Let me know if you have any other questions, have a great weekend!
hewebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 06:05 AM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewebb View Post
They still refuse to admit they have a problem. I will have plates welded to it and have it powder coated. I made a mistake on the total miles towed in original post 9K should be 3K.

I hope those of you that have had a problem will report it to the DOT

Blue Ox Reply:

Howard,
We haven’t had any recall’s or anything along those lines. That tow bar you had is able to handle the weight of your SRX. As long as you are towing within 3in of level and get it serviced during the recommended time period (10-12k miles or every 2 years) your tow bar will work just fine. Let me know if you have any other questions, have a great weekend!
Well, at least you got a reply---- I sent them an email last week asking a question about maintenance procedure on the tow bar and haven't a response. --- very disappointed !
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue ox