Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2020, 03:09 PM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichnSue View Post
I'm going to email BO and ask for a new replace shank with the upgraded design. If they don't help, I'll be making 1/2" thick x 6" long CRS side plates to add for peace of mind

Question for the group, would you weld on new side plates or drill and bolt on the side plates? I can do either easily

I can use the existing 5/8" bolt, 3/4" longer grade 8. Then drill into the 2" tow bar 2" back from the welded "U" area with 1/2" grade 8
I would not modify this POS.....demand a new tow bar.
Clemson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2020, 03:12 PM   #44

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
I.just check mine and I believe I have crack stating on the left ear of my Avail. I just place an order for a new Roadmaster Nighthawk and I’m done with Blue Ox.

We have had two run ins with Blue Ox. The first one was the light kit for a toad when you pressed on the brake the turn signal quit flashing. The tech said it was a know problem and he ask me how many times do I have the turn signal on and step on the brakes at the same time. I told him every I turn. Told me I was the only one.

I was told at RV show at the Blue Ox booth my tow bar was over 5 years old and they no longer rebuild them. I told him I bought three ago and the rep told me that someone sold me used tow bar because the serial proves it’s over 5 years old. I said that I purchased it at the Blue Ox booth during the FMCA rally in Indy in 2017. The guy just walk away. I called Blue Ox and they said that 10 years was the drop dead on rebuilding tow bars.

YOUR EXPERIENCE NEEDS TO BE REPORTED TO THE NYSB WITH PHOTOS....BLUE OX is lying when they deny a problem.
Clemson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 03:19 PM   #45

DH states the weld was not finished. It normally will be filled in between bevels. Maybe lunch break and then didn't remember it wasn't finished. Bring this to Blue Ox and they should give you a new one due to obvious poor workmanship.
kssme2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 03:32 PM   #46

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ted View Post
I thought it was Common knowledge that Blue Ox Sucked ? I have been hearing that for years and would NEVER use ANY of there products. Here is just another reason i feel that way .
I recently purchased and installed a Blue Ox product!

A fuse bypass switch. I'm keeping a close eye on it !
Old 10-25-2020, 03:32 PM   #47

Alpine Owners Club
Agree, looks like the weld failed and considering a known design change they should warranty it.
Guess I'll stay with my old no nonsense Smittybilt bar for the Jeep.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 03:45 PM   #48

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had been using Blue Ox for more than 20 years. But I purchased base plates for my 2016 Jeep trailhawk, the pre drilled mounting holes were no where close to fitting the Jeep. I called and they insisted I send pics, which I did. After 2 weeks of phone calls back and forth, all the while my jeep was useless as i had the whole front grille and bumper off they sent me replacements. These were somewhat closer and I was able to enlarge the predrilled holes and use flat washers to make it work.Must be OK as I have towed the jeep over 30k miles since. However when I decided to replace my old Blue Ox tow bar, I switched over to Roadmaster. Guess I made the right move.
Old 10-25-2020, 03:59 PM   #49

I have used Blue Ox for over 25 years and just switched over to Roadmaster. My latest tow-bar was an Avail also, it had worn in the same area for the second time and when I contacted Blue Ox they told me it wasn't a warranty issue, the tow bar was 1 1/2 years old. It was the replacement part they sent me after 8 months on the road with too much wear and looseness. So they tell me this time, even after they had sent me a replacement under warranty, the same part was failing again, that this time they wanted me to send it in or get it serviced somewhere. We full time and were in the midst of traveling throughout the western states. I researched and bought a Roadmaster Blackhawk All Terrain 2 and have never looked back. After all these years with Blue Ox, I will never buy another product from them.
Bill767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 04:06 PM   #50

I broke a Blue Ox of and older design about 10 years ago. They also said it had never happened before but offered a replacement bar. Mine happened at 65 mph. and caused about $3000 worth of damage to the tow car, [ Honda Element]glad the safety cables held! I no longer use Blue Ox.
Maytonr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 04:08 PM   #51

OK, so I also have the Blue Ox Avail. My entire set-up was purchased in February of 2020, so I am ASSUMING I have the newer, modified piece. Does anyone know of the breakdown in deciphering the serial number on my towbar? The first four digits are "0120", followed by a space, then a 5-digit number. I'm hoping that means it was manufactured in January of this year. Anyone?

Thanks for any help. Not really desiring to replace after only a couple thousand miles of towing.
Old 10-25-2020, 04:15 PM   #52

I am a newbie

And this thread is just one reason why i LOVE this forum...there is no better way to learn what's up BEFORE you step in the poo pile....Thank you all!
stancanyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 04:25 PM   #53

Tow Bar in question is an old style,
newer Blue Ox Avail’s are constructed quite differently.
Here is a picture of a 2019 Avail.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	172.7 KB
ID:	305926
Granite17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 04:27 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granite17 View Post
Tow Bar in question is an old style,
newer Blue Ox Avail’s are constructed quite differently.
Here is a picture of a 2019 Avail.
Attachment 305926
Yes, that looks like the type that I have. Thank you for the quick reply!
Old 10-25-2020, 05:30 PM   #55

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Replacing my Blue Ox

Okay, you guys win. I am going to replace my Blue Ox which is at least 7 years old. I tow a 2020 stock Jeep Rubicon. What is the suggested replacement? Will most replacement tow bars fit the same connect points on the Jeep or will I have to buy adapters? Seems like I had to buy adapters for my Blue Ox to fit my Maximus 3 tow loops.
DHuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 05:31 PM   #56

Thumbs up Poor Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Bill View Post
Having been in metals fabrication all of my 42 year carrier and a bit of a metallurgist, it looks like a couple of things are wrong here- very poor structural design-the design has a very sharp bend radius in the yoke - less than 1 1/2 metal T - thickness in CQ- commercial quality- 1020 carbon steel.. This fatigues the metal severely when bending it. That coupled with welding the square tubing so close to the outside radius of the yoke further enhances the highly fatigued bend area metal. If you blow up the bottom photo you can see fatigue cracking in the bend area of the yoke. It also appears their may be some minute crystallization in the steel near the bottom of the yoke bend area. All of this leads to possible fatigue failure. The welds are not the culprit of this failure in my professional opinion. Poor design & fabrication techniques along with higher carbon in the steel are to blame.

Blue Ox's new design is much cleaner from a structural perspective & tells me they have had issues with cracking & breaking previously in their old design.

Happy Trails
I was thinking the same as you. Poor design, so it was going to fail, and, like you, design change tells me they had other failures. It was just a matter of when it failed. 40+ years experience, Facilities Maintenance, in public bus and trains facilities, repair shops, stations and buildings. LOL How many of these things have we seen over the years!!
ventureforth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue ox