Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2018, 02:59 PM   #1

Boat Safe Heaters Your Best Investment for Winter

No matter if you have Built in Heat or Not - In the belly of your coach, an aux heater such as a “Boat Safe” fan- forced heater will be the best investment you can make for winter protection and for additional comfort in for your motor home. This heater has been in my last four coaches.

The Boat Safe heater is a Commercial Heater - Designed to operate in a closed gas engine compartment where they may be gasoline fumes which means there “Zero” possibility of any spark ignition. The entire heater is housed in a metal structure therefore regardless of any failure, it will be contained to the heater itself. In addition, the heater has a number of safe-guards such as; over-temp, fan failure, etc.

These heaters operate on low 110v wattage - Mine is a 650 watt however they go up to 1000 watts. To install the heater you can just screw it to a wall or let it sit in the storage bay. You can power it from an internal plug in the bay area or simply run a cord in any of the bay doors. On my coach I just un-plug my cooler in the forward bay.

The heater is fully Automatic - Which means you don’t have to remember to turn it on or off which makes it ideal for winter storage. When the heater detects any temperature less than 45 degrees, it fires up, then turns itself back off at 55 degrees, so when you don’t need it she’s idle.

The Boat Safe’s Other Advantages - Other than just applying heat to the storage bays it provides other advantages other than just helping to heat the bays.

Storage Area & Wet Bay - Depending on the area, the Boat Safe heater will maintain the bays from 40-55 degrees. If your water bay is sealed from the storage area, you can “Carefully” cut a number of two inch holes in the separating wall to allow the heat to migrate to the water bay. Home depot carries covers for such to dress it up.

Heating Plumbing in the Floor - The second advantage is most coaches (not all) run their plumbing & wiring in a 2-6” void under the floor which is right above the storage compartment. As the heat rises from your heater, it further serves to heat this void to further protect the plumbing.

Heats the Coach Floor - The third advantage of the Boat Safe heater is it will also help heat the coaches floor. Testimonial to this is; when my Boat Safe heater is running in my New Aire forward bays, where normally the living area floor heat has to run continuously in cold weather, it will actually cycle when the bay heat is on since its getting help from the rising heat from the bay area.

If you don’t already Own One, I strongly recommend you pick up one of these IR Thermometers, where ever you point it, she will provide instant temperature of the item. I use it to check coach interior and bay temperatures. You can also use it for check outlet temperatures for heat and A/C. Other uses are checking engine heat, Turbo temp, radiator heat, CAT heat, generator, tires, or even better, checking the temperature of your "Better Half" when you tell her its time for a new set of wheels LOL!

Enjoy - Mike Mas

Idleup is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2018, 03:05 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I had one of these in my boats when I lived in colder climes - they're great.
Good idea Idleup.
Old 01-01-2018, 03:15 PM   #3

BoatSafe JR-600W Engine Heater
: $367.38

Or a 1,500w heater from HD:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Patton-1...80-U/100090910

As far as electric space heaters go, a watt is a watt.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 03:35 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
[QUOTE=cruzbill;

As far as electric space heaters go, a watt is a watt.[/QUOTE]

UNTIL ... one watt is explosion proof. That will make the price go through the roof.

"the Oilfield PAID me to retire, so I did" :-)
JNSNWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 03:43 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Boat Safe Heaters Your Best Investment for Winter

I think they’re no longer available ? (Boat Safe)
Buly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 03:46 PM   #6

Didn't see it was XP rated; I should have known since it is for a boat.......
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:13 AM   #7

Still available https://theboatsafe.com
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:41 AM   #8

This BoatSafe heater is for the bilge of a gas fueled boat, where fumes could collect.
It has a preset temperature, with no thermostat, to prevent water in the bilge from freezing.

Why would someone need this expensive heater in an RV that has no other " explosion proof " devices ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 05:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
This BoatSafe heater is for the bilge of a gas fueled boat, where fumes could collect.
It has a preset temperature, with no thermostat, to prevent water in the bilge from freezing.

Why would someone need this expensive heater in an RV that has no other " explosion proof " devices ?
Thanks for all the reply's - Twinboat you should know better LOL

The heater has absolutely nothing to do with the water in the bilge freezing. It is designed to heat the engine compartment to keep the sea-water cooling system for the engine from freezing and cracking the block. Most of Marine engines are sea-water cooled. Since it is used in high explosive confined areas, the motor and switching is all sealed to prevent explosions in engine rooms.

The reason this heater is highly recommended for an RV is its safe fire proof design. There is Zero chance of the heater failing resulting in a fire. One thing you don't want to do is put any type of space heater in a closed area unattended. The beauty of the Boat safe heater is you can just install it and forget it. It can save or prolong freezing damage. All you have to do is plug the coach in.

Thanks - Mike
Old 01-02-2018, 07:43 PM   #10

Its true that low end gas powered, inboard boats are raw water cooled, but many of the more expensive gas engines are cooled with anti freeze. Also, most if not all diesel marine engines are cooled with anti freeze. The internal heat would be to much for a non pressurized cooling system.

Recreational boats do use heat exchangers that draw sea water into a heat exchanger, so there is some danger of freezing, but only in the heat exchanger and not the engine block. Recreational boats don't often stay in freezing waters.

Many commercial boats, used in freezing temperatures, use a keel cooler, completely closed, cooling system. The coolers are in protective pockets outside the hull, submerged in the water. There is no danger of the coolant freezing.

If your going to store a heat exchanger or raw water cooled boat in freezing weather, a bilge heater can protect your gear, unless power is lost. Even then the risk is lower because, if the boat is sitting in water, its should be at least 28 to 32 degrees, below the waterline, otherwise it sitting on ice.

I just wouldn't spend that kind of money, when a small UL approved heater will do the job of heating a MH compartment.

To each his own.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 09:30 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Its true that low end gas powered, inboard boats are raw water cooled, but many of the more expensive gas engines are cooled with anti freeze.
I thought that's what I said to begin with it was for a small engine compartment which may have combustion gasoline fumes.

I/O's circulate sea-water thru the block. Surely 600 watts is not going to heat a yacht with a large engine room with two Cat diesels and generator!

But we're getting off topic with the boat conversation, the scope of this heater is to safely heat either the storage compartments or mounted in the coach as supplemental "SAFE" heat to prevent freezing.

Thanks - Mike
Old 01-03-2018, 10:45 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have you used it in your coach with the cold temps we are having and taken a reading of temps in the living area to see what the temps are.
The insulated ceilings of your compartment ceiling bays may not allow that much heat in the living area and to the plumbing in your cabinets with plumbing, if you do get warm enough air in living area may need fan to circulate what ever heat you get in living area, is your coach also winterized just in case of sub 0* temps.
A unit in your living area maybe better also, just hope you do not lose power service.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 11:21 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
BoatSafe JR-600W Engine Heater
: $367.38

Or a 1,500w heater from HD:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Patton-1...80-U/100090910

As far as electric space heaters go, a watt is a watt.
X2 Cruz... Further, I have never owned a boat but anything below 40 degrees I would not be anywhere near the water.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 11:35 AM   #14

Interesting that they do not show UL or CSA approvals that I can find.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, winter