Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2018, 01:23 PM   #1
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Body panel coming loose on 2014 Ventana LE

Left home this morning in the Ventana LE on our way to our Montana place at Flathead Lake. Got just a couple of miles down the road and kept hearing a funny sound; kinda like a vent was open. Pulled off and took a look for a bad AC shroud, but spotted a side panel under the driver side window coming loose. Looks like it is glued and the glue has separated.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? How was it fixed; re-glued? Not quite sure where to look for a repair shop in the Western Washington area. I'm afraid of driving it too far and having the Air Force its way farther under the panel and tear it off.

Ideas?

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2018, 01:31 PM   #2

Duct tape is your friend.
Old 04-21-2018, 01:40 PM   #3

When push comes to shove and you must use duct tape, is there one type that's easier on paint than another, or a way to get it off without destroying paint?
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 01:45 PM   #4
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
When push comes to shove and you must use duct tape, is there one type that's easier on paint than another, or a way to get it off without destroying paint?
Excellent question. Thoughts anyone?
Old 04-21-2018, 01:49 PM   #5

PAM, WD-40, just about anything that will loosen the sticky. You should have clearcoat over the paint and duct tape shouldn't pull any of it when removed.

Heck, take it to get re-glued and let the repair guys worry about it; they know what they're doing.
Old 04-21-2018, 01:55 PM   #6
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
Heck, take it to get re-glued and let the repair guys worry about it; they know what they're doing.
I'm just concerned that driving it somewhere for repairs without finding a way to keep wind and water out so as not to do additional damage.

TJ
Old 04-21-2018, 01:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
I'm just concerned that driving it somewhere for repairs without finding a way to keep wind and water out so as not to do additional damage.

TJ
I think he meant, put the duck tape on and let the repair show figure out how to get it off.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 02:22 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
I'm using painters tape to keep a window with a broken regulator closed, maybe that would be enough to keep the panel from catching the wind? Painter's tape definitely won't hurt the finish.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 04:06 PM   #9
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2go View Post
I'm using painters tape to keep a window with a broken regulator closed, maybe that would be enough to keep the panel from catching the wind? Painter's tape definitely won't hurt the finish.
Thanks. Good suggestion. I have some 1.5" blue painters tape, so just went out and sealed up the problem area with it. I think it will keep water and wind out on the way to whatever repair shop I can find to do the job.

Does anyone have experience with 3M 08115 Panel Bonding Adhesive? I found it listed on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/3M-08115-Pane...panel+adhesive

In looking over the split seam, it is obviously a failed adhesive bond. I'm wondering if I dare try fixing it myself with the 3M adhesive. I could cut a section of 2X4 long enough to extend from the ground up past the mirror bracket. With some padding and tape or Zip ties, I think I could create something to push against with clamps to hold the panel in place while the adhesive cures.

I'd feel a lot more comfortable doing this if I knew whether anyone else had success with an endeavor like this.

TJ
Old 04-21-2018, 05:20 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
I've used the adhesive they use, Sikaflex 221 (bought thru Amazon), to repair a cargo bay door which separated due to a meeting with a wall while it was open. This is the adhesive that Newmar uses to bond the sidewalls. However I've also had good experience with 3M products and I'm sure that 5200 would be up for the task.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 05:29 PM   #11

This is now my go to duct tape for temporary repairs. It’s non residue up to 6 mos and weather resistant.

https://www.amazon.com/Residue-Duct-...idue+duct+tape
Old 04-21-2018, 05:54 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Sikaflex 252 is the adhesive vs 221 is a sealant like silicone. I’ve seen the factory tour and the adhesive used during assembly but don’t know what it is. You may want to call Newmar and ask. Parts department could probably answer this one.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 08:16 PM   #13
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
Sikaflex 252 is the adhesive vs 221 is a sealant like silicone. I’ve seen the factory tour and the adhesive used during assembly but don’t know what it is. You may want to call Newmar and ask. Parts department could probably answer this one.
Thanks, Neal. Given the situation where the adhesive did not hold, I'm not sure whether what Newmar uses is a glowing recommendation. I know the Ventana LE is on the lowest rung of the diesel pusher lineup, but I would hope it would hang together for more than the 24K miles we have on it. Sure hope the new MADP 4047 is stuck together with stronger adhesive.

I have already sent Newmar CS an e-mail with photos of the loose panel. Since I am the second owner, I would be surprised if they offered any warranty coverage, but they might be able to suggest a location here in the Pacific Northwest where I can get if fixed. The Newmar dealer just south of Seattle refuses to work on coaches they didn't sell, so the next closest is down in Oregon, 375 miles away. We'll see what they say.

I have used an RV repair outfit in Bellingham, WA, previously and have been happy with their work, so will also be contacting them on Monday to see what they have to say.

Here's what the damage looks like.

TJ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D17DA2BA-82E6-494A-8AB6-124C55346935.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	250.4 KB
ID:	199928  
Old 04-21-2018, 11:01 PM   #14

I noticed a few days ago that I have the start of the same problem on the DS front side panel under the driver's window. The 2" border strip that covers the joint between the front cap and the side panel is lifting about 1/4" or so, allowing the side panel to somewhat float away from the inner surface. The silicone used to seal the edges of the vertical strip has come loose for a distance of maybe 10-12", so will need to replace the silicone also. I'm also thinking of the 3M products having been familiar with the 5200 series. I'll be following this post also.
capnqball is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
panel, vent, ventana