RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2012, 09:56 AM   #1

Brake lights & Cruise control

I have a 1996 Newmar dp and my stop lights & cruise control shut off stopped working when I hit the brake peddle, I found two 175psi switches on the foot peddle control valve, could that be the problem and if so where can I buy these switches. Thanks Tom.

Tom-k is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2012, 07:18 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I would look good into your fuse side first. start at your power source and work your way back and make sure you have 12 volts, then the mechanical end.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:50 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Usually the brake light switch is on the pedal arm bracket (under the dash) but there is no reason they can not put 'em elsewhere. I do not know where Newmar put's them but most companies use a pedal arm activated switch.

If the brake lights do not shut off and cruise does not work I would suspect said switch

If the brake lights do not come on and the cruise does not work I would NOT suspect that switch..

Here is the logic:

The cruise looks for 12 volts across the switch. IF it is there it means Three things.

1: Fuse is good
2: Bulb (At least one) is good.
3: Switch is open.

If it's not then it means one of four things.

1: Fuse is blown
2: All stop lamps are burned out
3: Broken wire(s).
4: Switch is closed.

Note: IF all is good and switch is closed brake lights will be on.

And thus, you have the suspect tree.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:24 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you have a tow plug at the rear bumper check it for loose wiring or corroded connections.
You can also have a corroded light socket for brake light or shorted filament in a bulb.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:36 PM   #5
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Definitely try to find a simple looking switch associated with the brake pedal. If it has two wires it is easy to test. If it has four or more it can be a bit more tricky. Fixing the "obvious", that is the brake light circuit will be much easier than trying to find out why the cruise control will not shut off. Since the brake light switch probably send voltage to the bulbs via that switch and that switch possibly running a relay then starting at that switch should be easy enough. If it is two wires then you should see voltage on one side of the switch. The other side should be 0 volts or very close. Press the pedal and see what happens to the voltage. If you get 12 volts on each side the switch is ok. If you see 0 volts on each side the switch is good, and it is driving a relay somewhere via sending a ground. If you suspect the switch at this time just jumper it and see if the brake lights come on.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
If you have a tow plug at the rear bumper check it for loose wiring or corroded connections.
You can also have a corroded light socket for brake light or shorted filament in a bulb.
^^^^I agree^^^
Old 04-09-2012, 06:06 AM   #7

I want to thank all of you for helping me with this issue, They were all great post,(wa8yxm #3 broken wire) was the culprit. Thanks to all, Tom

Tom-k is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, lights