Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2020, 01:49 PM   #1

Brake lights on while engine braking

Does anyone know how to eliminate the brake light from the engine brake. If I am going down a hill using the engine brake I do not want the brake lights on activating my electric trailer brakes. I only want the trailer brakes to work when I step on the brake pedal. Thanks!
Myan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2020, 01:53 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
so you want the ticket for bad equipment? it works that way to meet federal law.
Old 11-30-2020, 02:14 PM   #3

That's a really good way to watch your trailer beat you to the bottom of the hill if the road is slick.
Old 11-30-2020, 02:24 PM   #4
YC1

Welcome to the forum:

Some do and some don't turn on the brake lights with the engine brake coming on. Mine does not and that is the way it came from factory.

This question comes up a few times each year it seems.

There is a little search box above and says "powered by google". Type in third brake light or something of that nature and see what pops up.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 02:25 PM   #5
YC1

https://www.google.com/search?q=brak...earch=irv2.com

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 05:29 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myan View Post
Does anyone know how to eliminate the brake light from the engine brake. If I am going down a hill using the engine brake I do not want the brake lights on activating my electric trailer brakes. I only want the trailer brakes to work when I step on the brake pedal. Thanks!
Need to know more info. What do you have for a Coach and year?
Old 11-30-2020, 05:32 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertkathy View Post
so you want the ticket for bad equipment? it works that way to meet federal law.
Bad info..........it not a Federal law, big trucks brake light don't come on when using the engine brake........
Some Coach manufacture's have them set up to come on.......some do not as posted above.
Old 11-30-2020, 06:59 PM   #8

This works , and beats trying to find where the feed from the engine/exhaust brake hook in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Doide diagram 001 (465x640).jpg
Views:	71
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	309831  
Old 11-30-2020, 08:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myan View Post

I will assume your using a brake controller. If so, just pick up that lead in the trailer harness from the controller.
Old 11-30-2020, 09:52 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Bad info..........it not a Federal law, big trucks brake light don't come on when using the engine brake........
Some Coach manufacture's have them set up to come on.......some do not as posted above.
Really cause i posted my statement after ssking a cdl instutor about it that stay in the park i am at
robertkathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 04:02 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertkathy View Post
Really cause i posted my statement after ssking a cdl instutor about it that stay in the park i am at
Could you imagine following a big rig, with an 18 speed transmission, going thru the gears.

If his brake lights came on every time the engine brake came on, between gears, it would look like 4 way flashers back there.

CDL Instructer is wrong.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 06:34 AM   #12

I was told mine do come on and yes I would not want mine on going all the way down a big hill but....Not sure how one could have no brake controller on a pull behind trailer makes no sense to me as the weight on the trailer would always vary and the weight of the trailer.....I have had several brake control units on SUV's and trucks and have to adjust per the weight on the trailer so the tires do not skid using a control box that I can reach.
So do u have a controller u can turn off or down?
Old 12-01-2020, 06:42 AM   #13

If you have a cummins engine, it can be disabled in the computer using insite (cummins software). My '16 kenworth did it. Drove me nuts as I am 80% jake brake, 20% chassis brakes. Makes you look like you don't know how to drive.
John_Penzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 09:02 AM   #14

Programming can be changed, at least on freightliner. But, I would hope you'd have a proportional brake controller, so it doesn't make any difference

the engine brake is a brake.... makes sense that the the brake lights come on when it's activated... just like your service brakes wo warn people that you are slowing down

Tags
brake, brake lights, engine, light, lights