Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2018, 11:40 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to Chasfarner
Brake, pressure

The air pressure is not building up, so my emergency brake want release. It took a long time for the air pressure to build. It released in lower 80's. Was building up fast, now really slow on the rear. Once it releases (brake), goes on up to 120 etc.
Anyone that knows the problem, and how do I go about to fix it; is appreciated.
Thank you!
2000 NewMar. Kountry Star, diesel.
35 ft. Unit.

CharlesF
Chasfarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2018, 12:56 AM   #2

Do you have any service records for the coach ?
Has the air system dryer ever been serviced?
Is this a new to you RV?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Air Dryer Maintenance web version.pdf (161.5 KB, 22 views)
Old 08-31-2018, 01:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Do you have any service records for the coach ?
Has the air system dryer ever been serviced?
Is this a new to you RV?
Not sure when the air dryer was serviced. Think 2009.
Where is the air compressor located, wish I had a diagram of the air compressor and chassis view on my Newmar Kountry Star. The manual talks about the air compressor, the air dryer, but I am ignorant where it is found on my unit, as to search for air leaks. It now does not have enough psi to unlock my emergency brake.
If anyone has a hard copy that I could print out, I would be grateful. If I allow the unit to run for an expanded length of time, it gradually gets to over a 100, right now I cannot get the psi enough to release my E. Brake. Thanks in advance.
Sorry I did not answer sooner, but sick for a couple weeks with a virus.
Chasfarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 10:42 PM   #4

Chasfarner;

Could you take a min. and set up a signature line .

Beside " Log Out " in the blue bar , click " Quick Links " then click " Edit Signature" , type in your coach info, model , year , chassis manufacturer , engine manufacturer and model, then click " save " at the bottom of the page, and the info will automatically appear below your posts as mine does below this one.

The air compressor is usually on the passenger side rear of the engine , it's gear driven of the crankshaft. The air dryer on my Freightliner chassis , is mounted on the drivers side frame rail behind the differential.
Once we know your chassis and engine info, members can give you an exact location.
Old 08-31-2018, 11:29 PM   #5

I just looked on Newmar's old brochures website, and for the 2000 KSDP, they list a Spartan Summit chassis with 260 hp engine (doesn't mention engine brand). But at least we know it's a Spartan chassis now -- probably.

And you can confirm this by looking at the chassis plate behind the driver's seat. This chassis plate will have the VIN and chassis manufacturer and lots of weight specs.

Another way to confirm who made the chassis is to look at your Proof of Insurance card (if you have one). Since those usually go by VIN -- for the brand of your Newmar Kountry Star it will probably say Spartan or Freightliner -- and NOT Newmar. That's because the VIN goes with the vehicle's chassis -- not the body.

My experience with Spartan has been that they know each and every chassis that they've made by VIN. You give them the VIN, and they know everything that was assembled onto that chassis back in the year 2000. And since it sounds as if you don't have any of the original manuals that came with your coach (it almost certainly came with chassis manuals that tell you things such as what brand and model of air-dryer and where it's located), you should probably buy the manual from Spartan. They might send you one free, but don't count on it.

My understanding is that for a fee, they'll send you a pdf file of the chassis manual. And this will include complete chassis electrical schematics (pages and pages of them) including wire color codes, wire numbers, circuit numbers, fuses, etc. It should also include all the different brands and models of equipment used on that chassis -- such as engine, transmission, brakes, suspension, air system, differential, etc.

The Spartan chassis info will only be for the Spartan chassis -- not the Newmar coach on top of the chassis. But for what you're looking for, they'll have it. They'll also have brands and models of replacement parts and maintenance items such as filters and belts. And they'll have suggested maintenance intervals for everything.

For a coach made back in 1999 or 2000, you can expect the rubber parts to start deteriorating. And those parts include air hoses and air-bags. You probably have an air leak somewhere, but it sounds as if this coach hasn't had proper preventive maintenance in quite a while So your problem could indeed be more than one single problem

You really need to contact Spartan Chassis. And if you've never worked on a vehicle like this, I highly recommend having someone who is experienced with rigs such as this take a look at it. When I recently bought an 11 year old KSDP from a private party, I paid to have a PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection -- or in my case, Post Delivery Inspection) done on it by a large reputable RV service shop. For just under $1,000 they gave me a list of what was OK and what needed maintenance, and what needed immediate fixing -- along with the costs for each item. I even had them pull two wheels and inspect and measure brake shoe thickness so I knew when to expect to need to service the brakes.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
WoodyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 06:56 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
A 9 year old dryer cartridge might be a likely culprit, I would change that out first.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:23 PM   #7

I appreciate your reply. Found the leak, replaced the valve ( think that is what its called) was leaking at the rear. replaced it. It now gets 110 front, 120 rear. Stays high, does not lose air.
I thank you and everyone who helped. Being 82, I feel blessed it was a problem I could fix for less than $20.00.

I am his wife answering for him, so I might have the air pressure locations reversed.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:27 PM   #8

Checked it, drained the dryer, it was ok. Found the leak, replaced connection, now no air leaks. Thank you!
Old 09-04-2018, 08:33 PM   #9
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasfarner View Post
I appreciate your reply. Found the leak, replaced the valve ( think that is what its called) was leaking at the rear. replaced it. It now gets 110 front, 120 rear. Stays high, does not lose air.
I thank you and everyone who helped. Being 82, I feel blessed it was a problem I could fix for less than $20.00.

I am his wife answering for him, so I might have the air pressure locations reversed.
If the dryer cartridge has not been changed in the past three years, it needs to be. Not changing it is asking for future problems and, even if you have to pay someone to do it, it really needs to be done.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake