Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2016, 09:37 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Brand new DSDP 4018 stranded

Picked up our 2016 D S DP 4018 on Tuesday and today, 5 days later we are stranded in Vegas. First the comfort drive started acting up. Even at the lowest setting I could hardly turn the steering wheel, basically all power steering was gone and it made a grinding noise when turning the wheel.

Then, when I got out to investigate, I saw Diesel fuel gushing out of the back of the coach. Two totally unrelated issues. The coach is now at Freightliner and they won't open until Monday.

I have diesel fuel all over our toad.
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1465702602693.jpg
Views:	1657
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	129887
Here's a picture of our beautiful coach being towed, what an ordeal.
Carefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2016, 09:44 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Very sorry to hear of your troubles. Hoping all works out well quickly for you. Keep us posted.

Best regards,
W.D.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 09:45 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Damn that sucks.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carefree View Post
Picked up our 2016 D S DP 4018 on Tuesday and today, 5 days later we are stranded in Vegas. First the comfort drive started acting up. Even at the lowest setting I could hardly turn the steering wheel, basically all power steering was gone and it made a grinding noise when turning the wheel.

Then, when I got out to investigate, I saw Diesel fuel gushing out of the back of the coach. Two totally unrelated issues. The coach is now at Freightliner and they won't open until Monday.

I have diesel fuel all over our toad.
Attachment 129887
Wow. How many miles?
pilotspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 09:54 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Bummer! Sorry to hear...
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 09:54 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
It had 1900 miles when we picked it up and we put a whopping 350 miles on it before it broke down.
Carefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 12:04 AM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
There is a recall on the steering box....it was a serious one that wanted you to drive straight to a repair shop. I wonder if that is your issue.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 01:12 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I REALLY hate it when I see a rig on the hook. We know it's probably ruined a trip.
Hopefully it's fixed quickly!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 03:57 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
I just left the factory 2 days ago with your twin sister coach. Dutch Star Don is right, there was a recent steering gear recall/inspection issued by Freightliner. There's also a fuel line notice out there, and FL will know if yours is affected based on your chassis number.

Glad you're safe.

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1465725282.697610.jpg
Views: 1365
Size:  102.3 KB
Capt. Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 04:32 AM   #10

Holy smokes! Hope all is fixed quickly.

We did our FPU on a 4018 a month ago. Fortunately we were also able to do the Freightliner school on our way back South. Had to have one of the rooftop AC units replaced and had many issues with the rain sensors on the fans before we left Newmar. Finally all was working fine when we left. On our way South we had an issue with the FWS creeping out while parked, not underway. When we got back home our dealer replaced the two valves and everything seems to be in working order again. Also, had an issue with the dash lights flickering under certain conditions. While at Freightliner they were able to replicate the problem, but was told that they need instructions from Engineering to fix it. Still waiting to hear from them on that one. We learned so much at Newmar, and then so much more at Freightliner.

Please keep us posted on what caused the issues and what the fixes were.
freeride95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 05:01 AM   #11

Did the original poster do a factory pick up? I'd be livid if the factory missed two safety critical recalls and let me drive away one of these beasts that could either loose steering control or burst into flames.
Old 06-12-2016, 05:38 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:

Carefree ... I sure agree with the other posters and hope you are back on the road as soon after Monday as possible. Having to be towed is one of my biggest RV fears so was wondering since you just went through it could you share that experience with us?
  • Assume you called your roadside service company?
  • Did they remove the driveshaft or the rear axles?
  • Any issues getting it hooked up?
  • Looks like you were in a good place to get hooked up?
  • Any tips you can pass on to us?
Steve
FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 05:42 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
Did the original poster do a factory pick up? I'd be livid if the factory missed two safety critical recalls and let me drive away one of these beasts that could either loose steering control or burst into flames.

Doubt it if coach had 1,900 miles on it when they picked it up. Usually much lower at factory.
enjoyrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 06:11 AM   #14

Quote:
First the comfort drive started acting up. Even at the lowest setting I could hardly turn the steering wheel, basically all power steering was gone and it made a grinding noise when turning the wheel.
While it does not help your situation at all, Your Comfort Drive is not the problem with your steering system.....your pump or steering gear is. When I give demonstrations, I start with the CD completely disabled and let the driver feel that the coach drives normally. It is not until I turn it on to see what good steering is like and then take it away from him again does it feel bad. The point here is that a coach is completely driveable without a correctly operating CD therefore it is not your steering problem. I have even seen vehicles (yes there was more than one!) driven all the way across the country without functional CDs because the OWM miswired them.

In case the service shop is not familiar with the new diagnostic tool, please point them to trucksteering.com/diagnostics then look at the bottom of the center column for the "ColumnDrive Diagnostic Program and Instructions" It is free and helpful. Somehow, the word about that program is not getting from the OEM Engineering Departments to the dealers' service technicians very well.

I just don't want to see the CD being blamed for a problem it didn't cause. Please (please, please) let us know what problem they really found with your steering and even more importantly how they cured it.