Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2019, 03:34 PM   #57

I'll toss in a few more tips on Grey/Black, P-Traps, and Blade Valves.

-We do use Happy Camper in the Black
-We do use Happy Camper in the Grey, about every two months
-We do the cleaning of hair from P-Traps with the plastic barb
-We also then clean the P-Traps by putting in several ounces of baking soda, then pour white vinegar down until the bubbling action stops. (Sometimes repeat this. Not so much in our RV, but in our Sticks & Bricks.)
-If we feel the Grey/Black need any extra cleaning. We also will dump, fill up between 1/2 - 1/2 full, and add either Dawn or Calgon(SP?) - depending upon what we think is going on.
-About 3 to 4 times a year, after dumping completely, we'll pour a 1/2 gallon of the cheapest vegetable oil we can find (Costco) down in both tanks. (Black is a straight shot down. Grey we usually use the shower drain, as it's the shortest run to the Grey in our coach.) We use the leveling system to get a good tilt towards the Blade Valves. I wait about 5 minutes to let the vegetable oil get down to the blades. I then rapidly open/close the valves at least two times each, to let the vegetable oil into the seals of the Blade Valves. We then re-level the coach, and use until it's time to dump again.
-The shafts of the Blade Valves, I use Protectoral on. Open valves to drain, and while open I use my fingers to rub a dab of Protectoral onto the shaft. Then close open a few times to spread it around, and repeat one more time. I do this about 6 or so times year, usually be fore the valve opening/closing becomes harder - but if I miss it, at the first time of resistance - I do this. (And I use Protectoral because I have it for other items. Silicone spray, or any wax would work on lubricating the shaft and the rod going thru it.)

Happy travels, and best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2019, 06:06 AM   #58

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Here's an interesting idea on how to keep your waste valves lubricated.

Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 07:31 AM   #59

That would certainly keep them operating smoothly.

I was using about 1/2 cup of softner in my black tank after dumping and that seemed to keep the gate valve lubricated nicely. It may just be my imagination but since I have had a water softener hooked up feeding my coach I have stopped adding that and the valves seem to work just as good if not better.

I will certainly keep this video in mind though if they start to bind up or get hard to operate.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 03:29 PM   #60

For all who are discussing dumping pods and powders, I'd suggest that you mix them with a gallon or 2 of water to dissolve the powders first and then pour down the drains.
agile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 03:40 PM   #61

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Shop for a different brand

I don't mean to be Captain Obvious, but have you considered a different brand of shampoo and soap? We have used Olay body wash, Suave and Head and Shoulders shampoo for me, and Johnson baby shampoo for the wife for years without any drainage issues. I open the drain and snake the hair out twice per year and pour some Pure Power Blue down the drain before we travel.
Old 08-15-2019, 03:48 PM   #62

High hardness levels in your supply water are what creates the soap scum in the bathroom

Water softener, RO, better water source all help tremendously
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 03:57 PM   #63

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I purchases one of these nozzles for cleaning the tanks.
Pressure nozzle $9

It seems to work pretty well. I put it directly on the end of the hose. I use a short length of sewer hose running into a bucket. It has a 1" hole at the top to insert the pressure washer hose.
The volume of water is low, and it drains into the bucket...or on the ground for the grey water.
Old 08-15-2019, 03:58 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
High hardness levels in your supply water are what creates the soap scum in the bathroom

Water softener, RO, better water source all help tremendously
I dont know the particulars but we arrived at an rv park where a mh had burned totally up. The lady had put draino down her tank. The rv park owner was so aggravated. It could have caught another coach on fire. He had to get it hauled out and dig all the dirt out and get new dirt hauled on. Was going to lose about 3 sites while getting that work done.
Tgroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 04:04 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
I have used Happy Campers holding tank treatment in black tank after every dump. .

I also use it in the grey tank at least two or three times per year.
I charge the grey tank with one scoop and about five+ gallons of water before we head down the road. When we get to destination, I dump it.
What comes out is black with chunks.......

In over ten years, I've never had an issue with my holding tanks or the sensors.
Dennis,
We both live in the same province - where do you purchase Happy Campers Holding Tank Treatment ? I ask because some of the products mentioned on this forum are not easily sourced in Canada.
Canuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 05:01 PM   #66

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by veraken View Post
Here is a video from the RVGeeks on cleaning the Grey Tank

Thanks for sharing that. Good info and I'd never heard it before. Do you think this would work to flush into the black tank also?
Old 08-15-2019, 05:06 PM   #67

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tizbad View Post
We just returned from Newmar a couple of weeks ago. On the morning of our service, the grey tank decided to read 0% instead of near 70% like the night before. (This was not on our list). Our technician had us dump it and he flushed it multiple times and it began to read again. He told us to always treat the grey tank with the same black tank tratment everytime, to insure good sensor life.
We now use Happy Camper in both tanks. The DW also uses a screen for the kitchen sink drain that catches an enormous amount of stuff. .......All good for now!
One of our service technicians also told us to put cleaner in the grey tank. He said most people only do it for black but that it's just as important for grey.
Old 08-15-2019, 05:32 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuk View Post
Dennis,
We both live in the same province - where do you purchase Happy Campers Holding Tank Treatment ? I ask because some of the products mentioned on this forum are not easily sourced in Canada.
Happy Campers is a Canadian product.

You can order direct from them.

www.happy-campers.ca
Old 08-15-2019, 05:57 PM   #69

Never ever use bar soap, creates major calcium rings in tanks. Very hard substance.
hudstur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 06:09 PM   #70

Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Yoders2Go
I use stainless steel screen inserts (dollar store/HD/Lowes) in the kitchen sink to reduce solids in the gray tank. I have a rubber edged screen over the shower drain to stop the hair. This worked for 4 years. This spring we had to pour a cup of baking soda with a 2 cup chaser of vinegar down the shower drain. Whoosh, all clean. Cheap, easy, available anywhere, and no weird chemicals.
Yoders2Go is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gray tank, plumbing, tank