Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2020, 08:49 AM   #1

Broken drawer “catch”

My top drawer behind the co-pilot chair in my 3436 Ventana has broken. The drawer is extremely shallow and I can’t even get a stubby screwdriver in. Can someone please advise me on how to remove the drawer using the slide release?
MFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2020, 09:04 AM   #2

If I understand what you are asking you have to pull the drawer out until the slides stop. On the drawer slides you will see a small lever where the two parts of the slides join. You can move the lever which will release the slide and at the same time remove the drawer. One lever moves up and the other one down. When you are finished, all you have to do is install the drawer in the slide and close the drawer. Hope this helps
Webz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 05:52 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
You need a small right angle screwdriver. Available at most home centers and on Amazon. While you are at it, order yourself a dozen or so replacement drawer catches. The ones used by Newmars are pure crap. They break after minimal use. I've replaced most of mine with strong rare earth magnet latches which do the trick.

https://www.amazon.com/MulWark-Profi...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
MD-Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 05:55 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Spartan Chassis
Do you have a source for the rare earth magnet latches? I've replaced the kitchen drawer latch several times as ell as bedroom drawers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD-Keith View Post
You need a small right angle screwdriver. Available at most home centers and on Amazon. While you are at it, order yourself a dozen or so replacement drawer catches. The ones used by Newmars are pure crap. They break after minimal use. I've replaced most of mine with strong rare earth magnet latches which do the trick.

https://www.amazon.com/MulWark-Profi...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
Russ - USN SWO (ret) - 2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan Chassis a Road Glide CVO & Dyna Switchback in an Iron horse trailer or a Jeep Unlimited Alliance Valor 40V13 toyhauler (on order) with Harley CVO ROad Glide and Dyna Switchback in the garage, pulled by a F350 DRW
Russtj60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:48 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
My main problem was our large silverware drawer. After the 3rd replacement, I istalled this from Amazon. So far, it works fine.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 06-30-2020, 12:25 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
As stated, once the drawer is extended, you'll see a black nylon arm, on both sides, about 1.5" long. On one side it faces up and on the other it faces down. You have to move both arms, one up and one down, at the same time, while pulling the drawer out.

There is nothing wrong with the latches used by Newmar. I've owned a Newmar with those latches for six years and only broke one. I knew exactly why it broke and fixed it. The latches have two interlocking arms that are spring loaded to keep them closed. When you open a drawer, the fixed arm on the drawer pulls out the movable arm, mounted to the frame. Often, when you place something in the drawer, you push that movable arm in (into the locking position). Then when the drawer is closed, the arm is in and the latch doesn't work. What happens next, the drawer gets closed harder and breaks the arm. You can see in the photo below, the movable arm (in square block) can be pushed in and prevent the fixed arm from engaging.

If you have a drawer that doesn't want to close and latch, look at the arm on the frame, you've most likely pushed it in accidentally. A butter knife will pry it back out.

The smaller the drawer, the more likely that you'll accidentally push the arm in while placing items in the drawer.

So, close drawers slowly and if they don't latch, look and see why versus shoving them closed harder.

Click image for larger version

Name:	41K1Q7FEqvL._AC_.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	291545
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 12:34 PM   #7

I just installed a baby-proofing lock on my single large drawer that hold the trash can and coffee machine and other stuff. It would fly open on turns, or when leaving a gas station or whatever, with the annoying roll that happens with these Mercedes vans with all that top-heavy stuff. The other drawers aren't a problem, so far at least.

Looks like this, but screwed on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Drawer Lock.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	291546  
Old 07-01-2020, 05:36 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Spartan Chassis
Don, I've replaced four of them in two years. I've tried butter knife, needle nose pliers, etc... I've checked the alignment with no joy. They are simply and cheaply made imho. We may be heavy handed on closing the drawer(we're not slamming it), but I would think they could handle it. I'm giving the rare earth magnets a shot. The kitchen drawer is my main culprit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
As stated, once the drawer is extended, you'll see a black nylon arm, on both sides, about 1.5" long. On one side it faces up and on the other it faces down. You have to move both arms, one up and one down, at the same time, while pulling the drawer out.

There is nothing wrong with the latches used by Newmar. I've owned a Newmar with those latches for six years and only broke one. I knew exactly why it broke and fixed it. The latches have two interlocking arms that are spring loaded to keep them closed. When you open a drawer, the fixed arm on the drawer pulls out the movable arm, mounted to the frame. Often, when you place something in the drawer, you push that movable arm in (into the locking position). Then when the drawer is closed, the arm is in and the latch doesn't work. What happens next, the drawer gets closed harder and breaks the arm. You can see in the photo below, the movable arm (in square block) can be pushed in and prevent the fixed arm from engaging.

If you have a drawer that doesn't want to close and latch, look at the arm on the frame, you've most likely pushed it in accidentally. A butter knife will pry it back out.

The smaller the drawer, the more likely that you'll accidentally push the arm in while placing items in the drawer.

So, close drawers slowly and if they don't latch, look and see why versus shoving them closed harder.

Attachment 291545
Russ - USN SWO (ret) - 2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan Chassis a Road Glide CVO & Dyna Switchback in an Iron horse trailer or a Jeep Unlimited Alliance Valor 40V13 toyhauler (on order) with Harley CVO ROad Glide and Dyna Switchback in the garage, pulled by a F350 DRW
Russtj60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 07:13 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What he said!
Old 07-02-2020, 02:23 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russtj60 View Post
Don, I've replaced four of them in two years. I've tried butter knife, needle nose pliers, etc... I've checked the alignment with no joy. They are simply and cheaply made imho. We may be heavy handed on closing the drawer(we're not slamming it), but I would think they could handle it. I'm giving the rare earth magnets a shot. The kitchen drawer is my main culprit
It doesn't matter if you're heavy handed, or gently close the drawer. Once the spring loaded arm is pushed in (locked position) the drawer CAN'T be closed no matter what you do, until you pull the arm back out with a screwdriver or knife.

My wife had one in our 2005 Monaco (yes they've been around for over 20 years). She broke it several times. I finally discovered that it was a small, tight to access drawer by the head of the bed. She was pushing in the latching mechanism as she stuffed clothing in that cabinet. Once I made her aware of what she was doing, there was never another issue.

Silverware drawers are often problematic as we stuff things into them quickly when we we do the dishes, again, unknowingly pushing the latch in. Make your spouse aware of what causes the problem as I did.
Old 07-02-2020, 02:59 PM   #11

"Make your spouse aware of what causes the problem "
I think I might just buy a different latch!
Fanukalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 02:49 PM   #12

Dutchstar Don is correct. I have had several get stuck in the closed position so the drawer won't latch shut. Simply take a small screwdriver and pry the latch open and close the drawer.
Old 07-03-2020, 03:16 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi - I've had that type latch on at least 5 motor homes. Don's explanation is correct. The only thing I'd add is that the latches are pounds rated. If the drawer is loaded beyond what some non- RVing engineer thought was enough you will have issues. Just buy one that is rated higher. Also hesitating when closing the drawer will cause the spring loaded latch to close before it makes full contact with the fixed position side. Then it's time to get the screwdriver and pop the latch open. Failure to do so will often result in a broken latch. A tiny bit of WD40 helps.

I'm not interested in spending $17 for a magnet. But they look nice.

Tom
Old 07-03-2020, 10:48 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I may have come across wrong in my prior posts. I was trying to explain why they break. Once you're aware of the latch closing issue, you may not have as many issues.

Tags
cat