Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2022, 05:55 PM   #1

Broken windshield-what is my coach telling me?

So there I was, exiting a rv park. I'm driving, slowly, through the narrow roads. This park had a bunch of speed bumps. I went over one bump, and was surprised by the extreme jolt. There was a large Crack noise as well, which make me think of lumber cracking.

I inspected my woodwork I added to support the MCD blinds I added. Everything was fine.

2 weeks later, I noticed a large horizontal crack in the uppermost region of my driver windshield.

So, why did this happen?

The windshield appears to be 15 years old. The seals might have aged and became stiff.
Being this old, the windshield has a lot rock strikes that have been repaired. Maybe the right amount of flex and impact was just enough.

The shocks are fine and coach is driving great. I routinely hit jarring bumps on bridges at 60mph without issues.

This is a split windshield and the newer passenger side is doing fine.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2022, 06:11 PM   #2

If the crack runs through a previous repair ; there's your answer .

Particularly if the repair was close to the edge of the glass.
Old 05-13-2022, 06:29 PM   #3

Thanks Skip.

I got out my ladder and inspected. The crack is 30 inches long left to right. It appears to travel through 2 pockmarks. Small rock strikes. There are several repairs about 10 inches lower.

I also inspected the windshield seals. Very stiff. Not flexible. I'm thinking the windshield didn't have the flex support it needs.

I'm just troubled that this happened at a 10mph speed. I don't want to replace the windshield just to have it happen again.
Old 05-13-2022, 06:42 PM   #4

I've had windshields crack from temp differential ; sat for 5 mins in A&W waiting for my burger with defrost on then pulled on to the street in sub freezing temps , accelerated to 35 mph and POW cracked top to bottom , no bumps just cold air hitting a hot windshield with a small flaw .
Old 05-13-2022, 06:49 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
I’ve had two windshields crack just sitting. Fine in the evening, cracked in the morning……this in very mild weather with minimal temperature swings.
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 01:12 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Spartan Chassis
In the 3 years I have owned my coach I have had 8 driver side windshield installs. Last year I decided that I likely don't have the support I need for the front cabinets, so I added a truck bed bar to provide support for the cabinets(redneck fix). I keep it very tight in pressure. Since then I have put over 8k miles on the coach and hit lots of bad bumps, and windshield is holding up( knock on wood). I will continue with this apparent fix....

Tags
wind, windshield