Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2013, 06:12 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Brother...Have you got the time?

Just a little rant about a current issue I have with my side radiator hydraulic motor. I travel all over the US doing consulting work and stay sometimes many months in my Dutchstar. I love it and it will become my full time home when my house in Idaho sells. Anyway, been in San Diego for about 6 weeks and it was time to jack up and head to Denver for a little winter camping and a new project. Winter Camping, been there, done that, no big deal. I was out doing my pre-trip inspection and noticed oil dripping from the hydraulic motor that drives the fan for the side mounted radiator. This is not good as I have three significant grades to travel betwixt San Diego and Denver... better get er' fixed.

Plus on my way cross country from Virginia to Cali when I got to the hotter climates and started to do some climbing I was overheating. I got to the Meteor Crater out there on I-40 in Arizona and started researching it here on iRV2. You know running up to 225 degrees, tripping the chassis alarm for over heating... all that fun stuff. It was a pretty tough climb over El Cajon pass running right on the red line for temps and in lower gears to keep the engine RPM's up. So putting two and two together here and I have to wonder if the motor was failing and I am lucky to have made it as far as I did. Also, clearly the radiators need cleaning.

The story goes that this is a $1650 Freightliner part but the company that I had come to do the R&R (remove and replace) said that they may be able to get it rebuilt. I have the time to wait and there are worse places than San Diego to have to be broke down particularly when I am still parked in my nice RV park. I will say that the folks at Vacationer RV park in El Cajon have been wonderful to work with! Well after three days of waiting for the rebuild company to 'look' at it, then two more days of waiting to see if the parts were available, and a couple more days of waiting to see if an after market replacement can be found, and a couple of weekends we are two weeks into this adventure. I bit the bullet and bought the Freightliner replacement and now it is just a matter of the tech having time to come finish the job.

The company I picked to do the repair seemed pretty competent and came with a couple of decent referrals from the locals here but I have had to bug them over and over to keep the ball moving. I'm not going to name them just yet because the jury is still out.

Moral of the story I guess I need to start writing stuff down Because when I was at Freightliner in Phoenix I forgot to have them check out the overheating problem as it hadn't been an issue for a couple of days and I guess I forgot.
flyfishidaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2013, 10:36 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Make sure the right fluid/oil is used in the new pump. I remember Freightliner had issues around 2005 about what fluid/oil that was being used in the pumps. With the new Freightliner pump in hand you might want to call FCCC to make sure your tech uses the right fluid/oil.

Mike
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 04:59 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Good on the Oil

Thanks Mike, I will do that.

Oh and I also used about a quart of Zep orange cleaner and soaked the radiator's and washed them very good while the fan is out of the way. Borrowed a pressure washer that a fellow Idahoan just parked down the row from me had. Should be good to go after this.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:32 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well I am down the road safely and and settling in here in Golden Colorado with an update on the fan motor! Climbed many grades between San D and Golden with no issues at all. Now I will admit it was much cooler so the jury is still out but I'm pretty sure the fix is in. End cost around $2600 and the tech was done in 2 hours.

I would recommend MDS Diesel Service in El Cajon Ca, if you need chassis repairs on your coach and you're in the area. T