Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2020, 07:26 PM   #1

Buying During the Pandemic

With current market dynamics it seems many dealers are taking advantage of buyers. I had a local Tiffin dealer quote MSRP (and no discount) to order an Allegro gas RV - they clearly were serious and would not discuss anything but MSRP. I am a prior Newmar owner, and shopping for a replacement. We are planning on a new Bay Star.

In my experience, I have sensed that the discount from MSRP is lower for lower priced models (such as the Bay Star Sport or Bay Star), and higher as the MSRP increases.

My most recent quotes (from a highly respected dealer) have been 20% off Newmar Bay Star and 25% off a Newmar Ventana (the MSRP difference is ~1.8x for Ventana over the Bay Star - $190K vs $350K).

Is this sliding range of MSRP discount with respect to price magnitude typical even without the current supply/demand market? Is a 20% discount for a $190K 2021 Bay Star good?

BTW, we have considered waiting a year or two for what we suspect will be an influx of used RVs from those who have purchased this year and decide it isn’t for them. That said, we also want to travel next summer and there is definitely a solid trend of increasing MSRP from manufactures including Newmar.
aeroquality is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2020, 08:00 PM   #2

Not trying to steer you toward a Tiffin motorhome, but if you wish to consider that brand there are three dealerships not far from the Tiffin factory in Red Bay, all of whom have a solid reputation for no-nonsense deals & pricing:

Davis Motorhome Mart in Memphis, Tennessee - https://www.davismotorhomes.com

Marlin Ingram RV Center in Montgomery, Alabama - https://www.ingramrvcenter.com

Sherman RV Center in Sherman, Mississippi - https://www.shermanrv.com
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 11:09 AM   #3

We actually bought because of the pandemic -- my daughter's school will be remote for the entire school year, so we decided to finally pull the trigger and get going. We're going to spend about 1/3 of the school year in various locations.

We bought a new 2020 Bay Star Sport from dealer stock and took delivery at the end of September. We got almost 30% off MSRP. I'm not sure whether that's because it was a 2020 while the 2021s were coming out, or just general market condition, but there are certainly some deals out there. Hopefully you can find one that fits your requirements.
southardrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 11:41 AM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I don't think dealers are necessarily taking advantage of buyers. IMHO it's an issue of supply VS demand. How often did your grocery store or Walmart put toilet paper on sale 4 months ago?
Wiscampsin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:39 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
If you have a build sheet completed, send your build sheet to 5-6 of the most respected dealers in the country and ask for a price. 25% sounds a little thin to me.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin1 View Post
I don't think dealers are necessarily taking advantage of buyers. IMHO it's an issue of supply VS demand. How often did your grocery store or Walmart put toilet paper on sale 4 months ago?
At least I haven't heard of them going over MSRP, but I'm sure it happens.

I was in the market for a revolver earlier this year and was really surprised that the dealers maintained their discounts off of MSRP. The only problem was, they didn't have any product to sell! I think I went through 6 Google pages of dealers before I found one that had the model I wanted, and yep it was sold at a discount.

I wish they would price gouge on ammunition so that you could actually buy some.
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 02:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWBAZ View Post
Not trying to steer you toward a Tiffin motorhome, but if you wish to consider that brand there are three dealerships not far from the Tiffin factory in Red Bay, all of whom have a solid reputation for no-nonsense deals & pricing:

Davis Motorhome Mart in Memphis, Tennessee - https://www.davismotorhomes.com

Marlin Ingram RV Center in Montgomery, Alabama - https://www.ingramrvcenter.com

Sherman RV Center in Sherman, Mississippi - https://www.shermanrv.com

Sherman said they aren’t taking any more 2021 orders for the gas models. Will have to wait until 2022 orders start.
aeroquality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 04:46 PM   #8

Usually the higher the MSRP is, the higher the discount %.
Old 10-26-2020, 06:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
I wish they would price gouge on ammunition so that you could actually buy some.
Amen! "Price gouging" is just matching supply with demand. If the price goes way up, people buy less, but more people can buy.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying