Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2013, 04:13 PM   #1

Buying new Dutchstar what options should I order

buying new dutch star what options to ORDER
Livylou is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2013, 05:25 PM   #2

Livlylou,

Although the choices in options are, in the end, completely personal, I would like to share my recent experience with the same scenario.

After ordering my 2014 Dutch Star 3736 with the options I thought I would prefer, I initiated a tread inquiring into a recommendation for taking the factory tour. Please see the thread titled "New Coach - Factory Tour". Well for me, the thread seemed to take on a life of its own. As a result of the wonderful Newmar owners on this sight, I received support, advise and recommendations so helpful, it caused me to completely rethink my choices of not only the options, but the coach itself. I recently initiated a new thread titled "Just When You Thought It Couldn't Get Any Better". The two threads may be helpful in guiding you in your own personal direction; at least I hope so.

Best of Luck!

Jigs
jigsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 05:27 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum & irv2.
In the QT's link #3 there are 5 links to the HOOT'S who the past year bought new Newmar's and threads have valuable information as to options, who to see at Newmar for any rearrangements you may like to be have done.
At the top of this link there are two people that are in the process of what they want in their new coach's that may help you also.
Here is a Brochure and Owners Guide for the DSDP.
Good luck in your choises.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 05:52 PM   #4

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livylou View Post
buying new dutch star what options to ORDER
Doesn't matter what options you order, as soon as it's finalized there will always be something better you could have done.
Kuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 06:53 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuzzy View Post
Doesn't matter what options you order, as soon as it's finalized there will always be something better you could have done.
true, and as long as you make the change before the production starts, you should be ok. I made my final change the Afternoon before the start of production
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:06 PM   #6

Here are a couple of items we will never do without gain.
Heated floors, absolutely marvelous. Ours are electric.
Fire place/heater. Seems trivial until you have had one.
Bath and a half. I get the half bath, DW the big bath. She does let me take showers in hers though.
Tile floors through out.
All electric. The best decision we made, period!
Washer/Dryer. Stacked if possible.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:49 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Livylou ... Here is one that is often overlooked - Queen Bed Option

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/just...ml#post1834791

Steve
FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:06 AM   #8

If it's offered a TV lift in a cabinet across from the seating area. I finally got tired of twisting my body to watch TV, and had a cabinet built with one in it. Should've had it done a lot sooner.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:32 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
It is your coach so order the items that will make you happy. What I might like, may not suit you or your lifestyle.

Two things I would get is any kind of extra insulation package and dual pane windows.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:43 AM   #10

The reason that options are optional and not standard, is that different people have different needs. It all depends on what type of camping you expect to do. Nobody can make those decisions for you.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:34 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Before you can get any suggestions that might make sense we would need a lot more information on your intended use and perhaps your biggest desires. Also, the model number you are looking at might be important because of the NCC and how options will affect that.

Some general thoughts to consider:

1. Full time/several months a year or Part time/weekends/tailgates? If it is your "home" you will want to pay particular attention to storage capability in both the basement and coach.

2. All electric? More batteries needed and maybe additional solar. All electric means residential refer, hydronic heating and depending on AC options a bigger generator. Depending on how often you think you will be boon docking will determine whether or not you opt for more solar and/or automatic generator starting capabilities. BTW...as I look at this year's model brochures...it appears DSDP only have diesel hydronic heating anyway.

3. Where do you want to go? Our 43' tag axle unit does have some limitations where we can go. This could be especially true in older parks. So far, it hasn't changed our mine about going that big but occasionally we see nice park CGs we would have liked to be in. 40' seems to be the break point for most CGs that can't take "big rigs" but even 38' opens up a few more.

4. NCC & the added weight of options & slides. Our unit has 4 slides and a HEAVY slate tile floor. The slides and floor challenge us a little on front axle weight. Newmar derated our model year to 14,200# due to Michelin 305/70R tire selection. Current models less than 43' are 14,600# but I don't see what tires are used. It would be useful to find owners of your targeted model and see if they have loaded axle weights. If you go with a tag model...I wouldn't even worry about rear axle loads at all. If a single rear axle...do some homework if you plan to run heavy like we do. BTW...if you think you will be installing a motorcycle carrier on the rear...do LOTS of homework before opting on a single rear axle.

As you can see, I tend to concentrate on things that meet our "mission" needs. For Sandee and I it was not an option to order a new one so we shopped hard for used ones.

Outside of the issues I mentioned above we also decided from a "creature comfort" standpoint that we required a king bed, split bath and room for stacked washer/dryer set. We also knew that if it came with a Norcold that it would be replaced as soon as possible because of our total dislike for the 12XX series.

If we found one we would have liked it to have hydronic heating but that wasn't a requirement. If we could have found a 2007 year version of our DSDP 4320 it would have been opted with 3 AC units and a 2 stage engine brake. Either or both of these would have been nice but not essential.

In the end...take your time! Based on the question you asked I can't tell what RV experience you have but I suspect not a lot in bigger models. Do LOTS and LOTS of homework.

Good Luck!
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:15 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSteve View Post
Livylou ... Here is one that is often overlooked - Queen Bed Option

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/just...ml#post1834791

Steve

Livylou --

I agree wholeheartedly. The thread that FLSteve refers you to is the single most helpful piece to look at in one concise setting. Jigsup did a lot of research and many of us who have gone through the learning curve with our '13 and '14 Dutch Stars have weighed in on his thoughts before he placed his order. To read his thinking on the options he got will give you a really good idea of the most talked about options available on this model you could order. The '14 Dutch star is a special model for sure and one that will bring you lots of enjoyment if you decide to go that way. There are now several of us out there (the "Hoots") who have found this statement to be true. As stated by 007, if you have the time to browse some of our comments from other threads that 007 has collected and posted for you to look at, you will see just what I mean.

Best wishes and good luck on your order.

Deek
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
2023 Winnebago View 24D Bay Mist II
What a Hoot!
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:12 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
At the top of this link it has four threads for your answers, all are looking for a new coach they will answer many of your questions.
===================THINKING OF A NEW COACH==========

If that is not enough than drop down and read all the HOOT's threads.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote