RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2020, 04:11 PM   #1

Buzzer madness!!!

I have a problem with one of the HWH jacks not coming up all the way. It wasnít enough to prevent travel, but a damn buzzer was bugging me for more than an hour on the way home.

I had already pulled the jack buzzer fuse, but lo and behold, there was yet another buzzer. I finally located the second buzzer on the top of the wiring bundle over the steering column. I disabled it, so I donít have to listen to it for the 4 hour trip to the service center.

Unfortunately, I want to temporarily disable a third buzzer that buzzes until the coach is aired up. There are already two visual indicators that the coach has already aired up and it drives DW crazy.

Does anyone know where this 3rd buzzer is located?

It is somewhere near the driverís seat but I have been able to find it yet.
AzGoldDigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2020, 04:30 PM   #2

Buzzer

This may not solve your buzzer problem, but there is another buzzer on the drivers seat that goes off if your foot rest is not fully retracted.
woodosgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 05:35 PM   #3

Pull the control panel (4 screws) up and disconnect the wire that goes to the buzzer. I had the same thing happen to me. A false right rear jack alarm.
Old 10-27-2020, 12:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCSONRAIL View Post
Pull the control panel (4 screws) up and disconnect the wire that goes to the buzzer. I had the same thing happen to me. A false right rear jack alarm.

Weird part is, I pulled the jack buzzer fuse, but it seems there is a connection to the second buzzer under the dash.

Iíd still like to find the third buzzer that whines the whole time the coach is airing up.
Old 10-29-2020, 08:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzGoldDigger View Post

Iíd still like to find the third buzzer that whines the whole time the coach is airing up.
I can't say how many times I forgot to check to be sure the unit has aired up. It hasn't cost me any wheel opening damage yet but I would install that alarm if I could on my DSDP.
Fefanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 10:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fefanatic View Post
I can't say how many times I forgot to check to be sure the unit has aired up. It hasn't cost me any wheel opening damage yet but I would install that alarm if I could on my DSDP.

I was thinking more of a toggle switch rather than just totally disabling it.
Old 10-29-2020, 10:54 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
The air system buzzer is a required audible alert - all air brake systems have them to alert the driver in the event of a low air pressure situation while driving. So disabling it would not only be potentially unsafe; your air brake system would no longer be complete or in compliance with vehicle code requirements. I dont like all the buzzers either but that’s one I would not disable. It’s functionality is actually part of the standard pre-trip air brake system check. “.....the low air pressure warning signal must come on before the pressure drops to less than 60 psi...”
Old 10-30-2020, 05:48 AM   #8

The only madness associated with the buzzer would be to disconnect it. I'm no lawyer but any airbrake equipped vehicle with an inoperative low air pressure audible warning is considered unroadworthy. Every operator with a CDL of an airbrake equipped CMV is tested on this when he is licensed.
If a loss of air pressure in your primary system goes unnoticed you will certainly become aware when your spring brakes on your drive axle apply and bring you to a rapid stop. If you are lucky it will happen on a straight dry paved road with no one close enough behind you to rear end you. If it happens on a curve and/or a slick road you're likely to be in for a wild ride.
When I bought my current coach I discovered the PO had disconnected the buzzer. It was the very first thing I corrected when I got it home. Yes, the buzzer is annoying but it would be dangerous, stupid and irresponsible to disable it.
Just my humble opinion but one I'm fairly confident is shared by most professional CDL holders.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 09:17 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL420 View Post
The only madness associated with the buzzer would be to disconnect it. I'm no lawyer but any airbrake equipped vehicle with an inoperative low air pressure audible warning is considered unroadworthy. Every operator with a CDL of an airbrake equipped CMV is tested on this when he is licensed.
If a loss of air pressure in your primary system goes unnoticed you will certainly become aware when your spring brakes on your drive axle apply and bring you to a rapid stop. If you are lucky it will happen on a straight dry paved road with no one close enough behind you to rear end you. If it happens on a curve and/or a slick road you're likely to be in for a wild ride.
When I bought my current coach I discovered the PO had disconnected the buzzer. It was the very first thing I corrected when I got it home. Yes, the buzzer is annoying but it would be dangerous, stupid and irresponsible to disable it.
Just my humble opinion but one I'm fairly confident is shared by most professional CDL holders.
Yup. I was a little more gentle about it, but......exactly!

Definitely one case where the DW WOULD NOT get her way! Choose your battles and all that, but this one trumps a little discomfort or wonkiness. Even a lot...
Old 10-30-2020, 11:19 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
Yup. I was a little more gentle about it, but......exactly!

Definitely one case where the DW WOULD NOT get her way! Choose your battles and all that, but this one trumps a little discomfort or wonkiness. Even a lot...
You did an excellent job of 'splaining why the warning buzzer should not be disabled. I have learned over many years of teachin' and preachin' safety in the military and commercial aviation and commercial ground transportation fields to operators and technicians alike that it's most effective to spell it out in plain graphic language.
Almost all safety procedures and regulations are written in someone else's blood. If you don't seek out and learn from other peoples' mistakes you will quite possibly make the same mistake. If you're really creative you might even have one written in your blood.
One thing I hear too often that really bugs me, especially from someone who wants to work on my coach, is "I/we have done it this way for X number of years without any problems." That really raises a red flag for me so I watch him closely while he does the work if I have to use him or his shop. It usually means he found a short cut years ago to save himself time or money at the expense of safety for him or for you somewhere down the road. A particular tire shop in Livingston, Texas comes to mind.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
Old 10-30-2020, 08:00 PM   #11

Jeez, you guys are a bunch of old ladies. Iím an engineer and donít need to be preached at.

My intent was to re-enable the audible alarm when the checklist pops up on the display (ie, when the air is up).
Old 10-30-2020, 11:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzGoldDigger View Post
Jeez, you guys are a bunch of old ladies. Iím an engineer and donít need to be preached at.

My intent was to re-enable the audible alarm when the checklist pops up on the display (ie, when the air is up).
Old ladies, huh? I hope you had a smile on your face when you typed that.
Geez, I didn't see any mention of your intention to temporarily disable the warning buzzer. It must be in there somewhere where you were admitting to already disabling TWO other audible warnings and were looking for advice on how to find the most important one to disable it.
BTW, the low air pressure warning buzzer on many vehicles is also used as a low oil pressure warning. Do you want to disable that feature, if applicable, too?

Edit: on further review I did see you mentioned temporarily disabling the buzzer. I guess you can probably get away with doing that. OTOH, failing to remember to enable the buzzer looks like a weak link in a future accident chain to me.
Old 10-30-2020, 11:47 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
I like to take a more professional approach to operating a DP. Must be my 40 years in the Fire Service. There are some here who agree, some don’t. Not much can be done other than to offer the best advice you’ve got to give. Good luck.
Old 10-31-2020, 08:30 PM   #14

Guys, as I stated earlier, the only reason I disabled the two buzzers is so I donít have to listen to them on the 4 hour ride to the service center.

Fortunately, I got the defective HWH jack up and have already re-enabled the jack buzzer and the other one that was going off due to the same problem. (Donít know why there was two different buzzers? Redundant backup perhaps).

As to the third air-up buzzer, I have a printed pre-flight checklist I scan every time I get ready to move. I will not forget to re-enable the air-up buzzer. Thanks for your concern, but I have it covered.