Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2022, 06:21 AM   #15

I suppose that if someone were threatening you, you could throw it at them.

(A non-lethal tool like that will be more likely to get you killed than help you. You might be better off just getting some bear spray. At least that won't look like a gun, and it will probably pack a more powerful punch.)

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2022, 09:03 AM   #16

NEVER BRING A KNIFE TO A GUN FIGHT! If you choose to carry it is your choice but never advertise..
djnash is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-07-2022, 01:58 AM   #17

After looking at some videos of these things. I would say they are a good way to incapacitate a threat. And. I sure as heck wouldn't make a threatening posture with it. That could lead to a real bad outcome. If you are in a dangerous situation. Pull and fire if you have a chance to do so. If I firearm is already pointed at you. Don't. And don't resist. I've had one home invasion at our home. Ended with the person running back out when she saw me. And our dog. I'm a vet. And can take care of my own in most situations. But that doesn't make me stupid either.
WeeBeenew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-07-2022, 06:47 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchstar411 View Post
Just my opinion:

For your own safety, I would suggest NOT to purchase one of those. If you feel the need to have some sort of protection, I would advise going to a Handgun training class by a certified instructor, (many are retired law enforcement,) and once proficient and most importantly comfortable in the handling of a real pistol, apply for a concealed weapons permit. You might find that you'll really enjoy target practice at a Pistol range. If you are against carrying a real pistol for personal protection, then I would not carry anything at all.
I'd like to add another comment. That pistol uses a CO2 cartridge. If any of you remember the Daisy CO2 BB pistols or similar, they always leaked down at some point. If that was the case you might be in a bigger mess if you tried to fire it and it didn't work. With that said, I stick with my original comment above. One can purchase a real pistol, 380, for the same or less money and you'd get more bang for your buck, pun intended.
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-07-2022, 07:02 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchstar411 View Post
I'd like to add another comment. That pistol uses a CO2 cartridge. If any of you remember the Daisy CO2 BB pistols or similar, they always leaked down at some point. If that was the case you might be in a bigger mess if you tried to fire it and it didn't work. With that said, I stick with my original comment above. One can purchase a real pistol, 380, for the same or less money and you'd get more bang for your buck, pun intended.
These don't puncture the co2 cartridge until you pull the trigger.
Old 10-14-2022, 04:42 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeBeenew View Post
After looking at some videos of these things. I would say they are a good way to incapacitate a threat.

Anyone incapacitated by this, likely wasn't enough of a threat to use it on. Like, it would have to be a little kid or something to become "incapacitated". A lot of the "positive" marketing material involves gullible old people who likely never had a fight and some outright deceptive demonstrations by the CEO. The videos you refer to are targeting people like yourself who go "that looks like it works", rather than having actual knowledge of performance.

This thing is less likely to incapacitate a threat than your average paintball gun. Also equally unlikely to deter a threat. Any common COVID mask will mitigate any effect the chemical payloads contain, too.

Basically, it's a terrible idea that will only get the user hurt... or worse, hurt and then have the wound salted by the legal system. In NY, for instance, you'll be prosecuted for possession of a chemical weapon.
Suburbazine is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-15-2022, 02:38 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbazine View Post
Anyone incapacitated by this, likely wasn't enough of a threat to use it on. Like, it would have to be a little kid or something to become "incapacitated". A lot of the "positive" marketing material involves gullible old people who likely never had a fight and some outright deceptive demonstrations by the CEO. The videos you refer to are targeting people like yourself who go "that looks like it works", rather than having actual knowledge of performance.

This thing is less likely to incapacitate a threat than your average paintball gun. Also equally unlikely to deter a threat. Any common COVID mask will mitigate any effect the chemical payloads contain, too.

Basically, it's a terrible idea that will only get the user hurt... or worse, hurt and then have the wound salted by the legal system. In NY, for instance, you'll be prosecuted for possession of a chemical weapon.
Check out how many police depts that are using these as an alternative means of less lethal force. And. If you think a covid mask will mitigate a pepper round. Then you don't know. Or understand what that powder does. Had the pleasure of that while in the service. You are correct about the pepper rounds being illegal in NY and CA. Which is why kinetic and riot balls are used. The kinetic balls will puncture 1/4"plywood. Not trying to be combative. Sorry if I'm coming across as such.
I never buy or use anything until I've done thorough research on it first. I'm not a "target".
Old 10-15-2022, 10:14 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeBeenew View Post
Check out how many police depts that are using these as an alternative means of less lethal force. And. If you think a covid mask will mitigate a pepper round. Then you don't know. Or understand what that powder does. Had the pleasure of that while in the service. You are correct about the pepper rounds being illegal in NY and CA. Which is why kinetic and riot balls are used. The kinetic balls will puncture 1/4"plywood. Not trying to be combative. Sorry if I'm coming across as such.
I never buy or use anything until I've done thorough research on it first. I'm not a "target".
The only demo I've seen involving plywood was the one where they used crating materials (light plywood) and it cracked/compressed the plies rather than going through. Sure that would sting, but incapacitate? Unlikely.

As far as the pepperballs go, the Byrna variant don't pack as much as mainstream launchers. The exposure capability is just too low. You can find videos on Youtube where Byrna brags about how effective it is in police use (they call it incapacitation) with actual use cases, but they conveniently leave out 2 key facts-

There's a bunch of firearms pointed at the subject.
The subject is compliant, not incapacitated.

Again, the Byrna is a compliance tool like all less lethals. Unlike pepper spray or CS, though, it's a projectile weapon system capable of causing great bodily harm if it hits an eye...something that makes it a poor choice of tool if you're trying to legally defend yourself with an illegal weapon.

PS: have some fun math comparison- Byrna HD shooting Kinetic rounds has the same impact as a cold paintball- a whopping 13ft/lbs at 20 feet. The only reason you can't shoot paintballs with a Byrna is because the barrel length is too short, requiring tremendous impulse to get the projectile up to the same speed.
Suburbazine is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-15-2022, 11:28 AM   #23

Alpine Owners Club
My neighbor has one he carries while walking "outback" in the forest behind us. (Blessed we back up to 100's of square miles of DNR land) The cougar and bear had a prolific spring and are plentiful, as are a few out of control off leash bike chasing neighborhood dogs. He also carries the real deal outback just in case. We both have CCPs and probably a few too many weapons lol...but I won't be adding the Byrna to my collection.

I've shot it, it's a fun toy, the pepper is potent but I wouldn't consider it a legitimate self defense weapon against human threats.

As others have stated, consider taking a firearm safety class and weigh your options.

Be Safe!
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-15-2022, 01:01 PM   #24
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I don't think the OP said anywhere in his post that he intended to point it at someone who was pointing a firearm at him. In years past, if someone intended to rob you, they typically took your stuff and moved on. However, in current times, just stealing your stuff isn't enough for these animals. Now they assault you after getting what they want.

I'm not advocating that the OP have it in a holster and pretend he has a loaded firearm, but as a last resort, he can use the Byrna to give himself an opportunity to flee.

For ANYONE out there who thinks it will never happen to you, be it an assault, robbery or burglary, you're being naive. Yes, you do what you can to stay out of dangerous areas or get in a predicament, but you now have roving gangs robbing people while they're eating dinner.

Just look at what's going on in this Country. Everyone is mad, mad at each other, mad at the Government, mad at their neighbors, mad about what Covid did to their life. It doesn't take much anymore for a normally nonviolent person to flip out.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote Reply