Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2022, 01:31 PM   #1

Byrna Un-Gun

Looking for some feedback if anyone who has purchased the Byrna Gun.
We don’t carry any weapons so i was wondering if this product is worth having with us as we are doing a 10K mi trip coming up across country?? Let me know your thoughts, thanks in advance tc
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2022, 01:52 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We don't carry weapons, lethal or otherwise with us. Haven't in decades of camping. Never had a problem. This thing looks too much like a gun for my taste. Pull that out and someone would be justified in opening fire with a real gun on you. No way for them to know it's a non-lethal. You can't carry it everywhere, despite what the website says about no permit needed. A lot of states have laws about carrying non-lethals. You could easily pick up an assault charge firing this thing also. I can't imagine where I would practice with it either. Doesn't seem worth all the trouble. If someone had a real gun, you'd be better off burying your head in the sand than whipping this thing out any way.
Old 06-06-2022, 02:24 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi - Looks like a good way to pxss off someone who has a real gun. We have never had a problem in 38 years of RVing and 11 years of fulltiming.

Tom
Old 06-06-2022, 02:35 PM   #4

Does orange tell the aggressor there's no lead coming his way?
Old 06-06-2022, 02:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
Does orange tell the aggressor there's no lead coming his way?
My luck, he'd be color blind.

My dad taught me that if you point a gun at someone, you intend to kill him. Period. If someone points that un-gun at me, orange tip or not, I assume they want to kill me and at that point, I can take any action necessary to defend myself up to and including lethal force to take them down.

Reminds me of the Indiana Jones scene with the guy with the sword making all the fancy moves and Harrison Ford pulls out a gun and shoots him.

I don't have near the RV experience that many have, but my camping experience goes back 40 years in tents, backpacking in, etc. Never had an issue that needed me to consider needing a gun. Not saying it won't happen tomorrow, but I would prefer a real gun to something that might just escalate the issue and leave me no defense.
Old 06-06-2022, 03:00 PM   #6

Lots of good comments already.

I carry all the time (excluding places with actual security that restricts access like airports past TSA). In all of my years I have never needed a gun to defend myself and I hope that stays true until the day I pass peacefully.

The exact same can be said about the fire extinguishers that I keep in my house, RV, Vehicles, etc. I have never needed to use one outside of my job. However just because it has not happened yet does not mean I am willing to not have them.

First of all the item you are looking at or a firearm are just tools and just part of toolbox and should not be used as stand alone for security.

Products like this are a challenge. In most cases you really should not "draw" it unless you are in fear for your life, and if you are in fear of your life, this is probably not the right product.... Is it better than having nothing, maybe, but that is a choice you will have to make.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-06-2022, 03:10 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
PRE-EMPTIVE THREAD WARNING!

Although this item is not a firearm, there's a more than likely chance this thread may head that way & you all know what will happen if it does. Don't take it down that route.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-06-2022, 03:13 PM   #8

Got my 1st rifle when I was 10 yrs old......single shot .22

Owned Hundreds of guns/rifles/shotguns since

I am NOT going to depend on 'color' of any gun to determine lethal or non-lethal
I will shoot back.

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-06-2022, 03:29 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
It’s better than nothing I suppose.
USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-06-2022, 04:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67vette View Post
We don’t carry any weapons so i was wondering if this product is worth having with us as we are doing a 10K mi trip coming up across country?? Let me know your thoughts, thanks in advance tc
I have to agree that it would be foolish to point that thing at someone - all would think it is a real gun. Try this instead if you want non-lethal, pepper spray. https://www.amazon.com/Counter-Assau...5&sr=1-11&th=1
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-07-2022, 01:16 AM   #11

Pretty much ALL Less Lethal Projectile weaponry is a bad idea for the average Joe to use at any time. "Less Lethal" is a tool that only works for gaining compliance of a subject. Using one to "scare off" someone is opening up a whole huge can of worms that is easily as illegal as having an actual gun where it's illegal to have a gun. There is NO middle ground where the average Joe needs a "less lethal" as a full replacement for a lethal option. It's honestly about as dumb as a certain comment about shooting both barrels of a shotgun in the air.

Either do legally or do not. No "try", "try" only gets bad outcomes in this question. My recommendation is you're probably better off not getting anything, over getting something you know little about
Suburbazine is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-07-2022, 07:13 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67vette View Post
Just my opinion:

For your own safety, I would suggest NOT to purchase one of those. If you feel the need to have some sort of protection, I would advise going to a Handgun training class by a certified instructor, (many are retired law enforcement,) and once proficient and most importantly comfortable in the handling of a real pistol, apply for a concealed weapons permit. You might find that you'll really enjoy target practice at a Pistol range. If you are against carrying a real pistol for personal protection, then I would not carry anything at all.
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2022, 12:58 AM   #13

One of my fried is using Byrna SD from last 3 years & I think its a good self defence weapon.
LewisBMills is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2022, 05:38 AM   #14

2 nights ago Stinchfield was hawking Byrna insertable backpack armor for the kiddies. Only problem is backpacks are banned now in many school districts for their concealment of weapons.