Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2022, 06:48 AM   #1

Cabinet door above steering wheel opens and shuts violently when going over overpass

2022 Essex, 5000 miles and we love it. But when going over overpass and leaving the overpass coach will sometimes heave up and down considerably just for a short time and this causes cabinet door just above steering wheel to open and shut violently, sounds as if a brick just hit the front window. Factory installed more magnets to keep it shut but it did not work. Sounds like it must be in the shock absorbers not strong enough to control the up and down motion of the front end when the coach is leaving the overpass and getting off the bridge.
Has anybody went to a different shock up front to eliminate what I’m experiencing? It settles down after maybe 2 up and down motions. This only happens occasionally but when it does it is scary, the noise from the cabinet door slamming gets your attention very quickly.
I’m driving at 62 to 65 mph. I mean I can fix the door from opening but I need to get the front end settled down when going over extremely uneven
overpasses.
Thanks Mickey Light, I have warranty scheduled in 2 weeks. Just want to get info for my discussions with service personnel at the factory.
Mickeylight is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2022, 07:05 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I had the same thing happening. What I found was I was not always closing that door before putting it in drive.

The sound of that door slamming shut was exactly as you described, and I’m sure I wasted a few of whatever remaining heartbeats I have left.
USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 07:31 AM   #3

Spartan Chassis
This up and down motion is called porpoising, likely caused by inadequate front shocks. Spartan agreed to replace mine. Call and inform Newmar you would like this addressed at your visit.
TheRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 09:00 AM   #4

We upgrade the shocks to KONI shocks. The spartan chassis does have porpoising as Rod as stated. The shock upgrade will help that a lot. Reach out to your selling dealer or any NIRVC for assistance with this issue. The prop on the side of your door should have an allen head in the center. You can tighten that and it will help hold the door shut more as well.
Bobby Dowdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 11:19 AM   #5

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Dowdle View Post
We upgrade the shocks to KONI shocks. The spartan chassis does have porpoising as Rod as stated. The shock upgrade will help that a lot. Reach out to your selling dealer or any NIRVC for assistance with this issue. The prop on the side of your door should have an allen head in the center. You can tighten that and it will help hold the door shut more as well.
I know that Spartan is now using Koni shocks on the K3 chassis. I am not sure if that started on the 2023 and up models or if it was also on the 2022 models. I suspect it was an upgrade for the 2023. This indicates to me that they are aware of the inadequacy of the former Bilstein shocks. However the K2 chassis is not showing this upgrade.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 12:32 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I just contacted Spartan and they gave me a run around that the Bilstein shocks are appropriate for the front suspension and replacing the shocks is not a warranty item. Spartan must know these shocks are inadequate.
Sugaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 05:39 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Shocks on Spartan

Wrong approach IMO. Instead of telling Spartan you want new shocks you should have asked them to address the porpoising issue IF you are having this problem. Telling an OEM what the fix should be never goes far
Clemson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 09:59 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemson View Post
Wrong approach IMO. Instead of telling Spartan you want new shocks you should have asked them to address the porpoising issue IF you are having this problem. Telling an OEM what the fix should be never goes far
The porpoising has been a known issue for a long time. The bilstein shocks are woefully inadequate for a 20,000 lb axel.
Sugaree is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, steering