RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2015, 06:36 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Cable TV Connection

I have a 2011 Mountain Aire and I am unable to get the cable TV to come up on any of the 3 TV's once connected to cable. I can select it but no channels appear, even if I auto program. I know I'm missing something stupid so if anyone has a clue I would appreciate it. I am plugged into the cable outlet in the lower bay, and to the campground post as well. Just got me stumped.

Thanks

rdurham1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2015, 06:41 PM   #2

Not sure if it helps, but I think if you have a booster antenna, it must be powered off to use landline cable?

DTG173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 08:50 PM   #3

yes it does need to be off.

On the back of the outlet with the boost button and LED both the cables, 1 from outside connection and a cable from roof antenna will be hooked the switch/booster.

I disconnected the outside cable from the switch and ran it directly to the TV bypassing the switch.

So I can use both just by switching inputs on the TV
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 08:55 PM   #4

To clarify it runs to a cable box and HDMI to the TV, so I switch between HDMI input and TV channels without having to turn off the booster
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 08:58 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I was at a campground last month.
Could not get any signal from the cable outlet near the CG utilities pedestal.
The CG maint guys hooked up a tablet TV, and they got several channels, so we all thought the problem was on my side.
Even ran a direct cabel into the back of one of my TV's...but still no channels.

Got home, and tried it, and all was good. The CG had a low level signal that was not strong enough for my system.

Check the forum, and others had this same issue, and solved it with a Booster/Amp. I now carry one in the coach.

And remember, that every splitter in your system cuts the signal level in 1/2

Regards,

Dan
Old 09-06-2015, 08:14 AM   #6

Cable

Where did you get the booster amp and where did you install it in your system? Thanks for the post. I'm having same issue.

Safe travels
FLYING BUTCH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 09:14 AM   #7

With my 08 model the booster is just behind the passenger chair almost at floor level on the exterior wall. You may see a 12v plug as part of it. There should be a power button or button marker "Cable/Air" you will need to turn that off to receive cable, on to use your antenna
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 10:43 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
That's It I Found It

Yeah guys that's exactly it. I will try it next time we're out. The boost has a green light for on, and when you're using cable, shut it off. Yeah yeah yeah!!!!
Old 09-06-2015, 10:49 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Console Insert

OK now, if you guys get this there's beer in your future.
The console between the pilot and copilot, on the floor is a two drawer plastic pull out. The drawers are contained in a POS plastic container insert that holds them. That box comes out. Anyone replaced that piece and has a clue what part number that would be? I assume its Newmar since it goes with the dash of the coach. I'm trying to fix the one I have but just in case I can't I'd like to try and order a replacement.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:56 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BUTCH View Post
Where did you get the booster amp and where did you install it in your system? Thanks for the post. I'm having same issue.

Safe travels
Ebay..
Signal Booster

I did not install it permanently....But when I need it, I have a 3ft piece of cable and place it at the CG pedestal, and plug the PS into the pedestal.

Regards,

Dan
Old 09-08-2015, 09:07 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First: Some RV's do have so many splitters that getting a signal through them is.... not easy.

Second: not all TVs work with all cable systems.. Even modern wide/flat/DIGITAL Tv's may have issues with some systems (Cable box required).

Next: IF you are not the original owner.. RV may have been Re-wired so as to use the PARK CABLE jack on the outside as a SAT IN,, If so you need to restore original function.. NOTE: I do not recommend re-taskign that cable for SAT it's usually the wrong kind of cable and in my motor home the "Effective length" of the cable from the jack in the back to the switch box is around 200 feet.. You are only allowed 300 feet so that's 2/3 of my allowed cable run. (Actual length about 50 feet).

The effective length of the cable from the jack I installed to the Sat receiver cubby is closer to 15 feet. the actual length.. likewise.

Finally there is the ever popular "Goof" That's more popular than RV makers would care to admit (Goof, driving staple THROUGH the coax is a GOOF Poor attachment of F-Connector on end of cable is common very very very common which is why I use a different type of connector).
Old 03-14-2017, 01:54 PM   #12

I'm starting to feel like a dummy here after reading dozens of posts about RV Park cable connections. I've found the cable entry connector in the electrical bay. Done. I've found the antenna booster switch on the wall behind the passenger seat. Done.
What I haven't found is where to connect the set top "black box" issued by the cable provider? Logically this should go in the line between the cable entry point and the multi-device Sony amp that acts as traffic cop for all the various A/V equipment. But I cannot for the life of me find a place to connect the set top box. Any ideas?

2016 Newmar Ventana 4041

kensuzibuddy is offline   Reply With Quote