Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2022, 03:17 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Cable TV Picture Quality

2021 Baystar 3626 issue. We have 4 TVs on this rig, one outside, one in bedroom, one overhead of helm and a bigger one on the televator. We normally use satellite signal and have great pictures on all TVs when using sat. But when forced to use cable hookups at campgrounds we have serious picture quality issues to the point of not being watchable on the main televator TV! Interestingly, the picture quality on the other 3 TVs when connected to cable is good. Also when on cable we receive 40 "cable" channels and about 20 "digital cable statioins" on the smaller TVs and nowhere near these numbers on the bigg televator TV. We had Newmar "check it out" when in Napannee earlier this year and, of course, they found nothing wrong...they also did not have a cable feed to hook up.

Looking for some troubleshooting help and anybodys experience with an issue like this. Thanks!!
ScottLes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2022, 03:36 PM   #2
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Is the antenna amplifier turned off?
Old 01-01-2022, 04:02 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Scott:
Having the same issue you are. TVs all set to cable. OTA amplifier is OFF. Poor cable reception only at the televator TV. We just watch the TV over the dash when not using the OTA or satellite. I've checked all the cable connections and they are tight. The connection behind the TV is hard to get to and the last one I need to check.
I believe the OTA signal comes through the same coax as the cable TV. I get great reception on all TVs when watching OTA.
Hoping someone on the board has had the same issue and found a solution.
Happy New Year.
MikeyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 04:33 PM   #4

I'm no help with regard to your issue other than making sure the winegard OTA panel is turned off, but it sounds like that's been covered here. The only observation I have is that Newmar really needs to get their act together with disclosing their cable routings, type of splitters, and splitter locations on their coaches for both coax and hdmi. From what I can tell, they have many iterations over the years and within a model range. A "real" schematic and device locations provided with the coach when you buy it would go a long way to working out these mysteries that arise. I ordered our coach with the winegard satellite for Dish network. I sent all my components to the dealer ahead of time for installation and not only did they not get the system installed and working, they had to order an additional splitter(like an $8 little device) to make it all work. I finally left there without a functioning system and took me many hours of internet research to finally figure it all out and get it working. I think the Direct TV setups are a little easier. The OTA system is great but funky/glitchy how it works when trying to get it to search for stations and a real hassle that each tv needs to then individually do a search for the stations each time you move. Last thing, the remotes for the televator tv and the front overhead tv use the same signals so you always have to cover the infrared receiver on the overhead tv so it does not operate each time you are operating the main tv. They use such cheap tv's that don't even have a combo rfi/infrared remote so you can isolate this problem-just rediculous!
UMXHAULER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 06:08 PM   #5

Run a cable straight from the campground source to the back of your TV and see what you get. This would determine if it is the TV or the wiring (splitters, loose connections, etc.).
Old 01-02-2022, 12:18 AM   #6

I have the same problem on my 19 LA and I can't figure it out.
sramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 07:06 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the input so far.....yes, OTA antenna booster is 'off'; seems to be isoated to just the televator TV whic displays awesomely on other sources; this happens at every campground where we try to use cable (not isolated to the current campground). Thanks for your help Bay Star nation....all further input welcome!! Scott
ScottLes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 09:41 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Scott, there has to be an issue with either the coax itself, or a coax connection somewhere. I would suggest obtaining a schematic of your coax routing from Newmar. I emailed them and received one for mine. I have six televisions, and it looks like Rube Goldberg ran the coax.
Old 01-02-2022, 11:36 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Had the same problem in our Ventana. Changed all the splitters to better quality and problem went away.
Old 01-02-2022, 11:37 AM   #10

Check the splitter behind/below the televator. I had two open (unused) ports that were not terminated. I only had one terminator (no more Radio Shack) and after installing it, the televator TV now receives almost as many channels on antenna as the other three do. I suspect you may have unused/unterminated ports causing your cable TV issue.

https://www.amazon.com/Terminator-10...a-828549405519
Old 01-02-2022, 11:47 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
I had the problem on a Travel Supreme for the bedroom TV. I installed a signal booster in the basement where the incoming cable attached solved the problem.
JMO but low signal strength with park cable and low quality coax use in MH construction there is too much line loss and low signal quality. The amplifier did solve the problem.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 01:41 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
I had to do the same as Chuck to get a decent OTA signal to our bedroom. The other TVs were fine, but the bedroom one wouldn't find half as many stations.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 05:54 PM   #13

Scott:

I just saw this thread so sorry for the late response but here is how I fixed the exact same problem in my 2022 3626 BayStar.

I also have 4 TV's. It seems Newmar uses only 4way splitters everywhere when 2way or 3way are called for. Therein lies the problem.

The antenna and camp ground cable feeds a signal thru the Winegard switch located on the wall next to the passenger seat. This signal cable goes into the cabinet above the driver's seat where a 4way splitter is located but only 3 are used. 1 goes to the overhead tv. The 2nd goes to the bedroom tv and the 3rd goes to another 4way splitter under and behind the televator. This splitter is also a 4way but only 2 are used. 1 to the Main tv and 1 to the outside tv.

Theses splitter need to be replaced with quality splitters with the appropriate number of "out" ports.

The splitter in the overhead cabinet is easy. The one behind the televator requires the couch to be moved out of the way to gain access. Just open the couch bed, removed the 4 lag bolts that anchor the couch to the floor, fold up the bed and slide the couch forward so you can lay on the floor in front of the televator.

This greatly improved my reception and enabled the main tv to access the same number of channels as the smaller tvs.

Good luck.

Ken
Old 12-07-2022, 08:23 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Same problem with the Vizio on the televator in our BS 3626. Grateful for this thread, as we were quite perplexed. This is the first time this TV has pixelated, and we were thinking the TV itself had become the problem.

Tags
cable, quality