Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2018, 07:02 AM   #1

Cable TV problem

We are connected to park cable. The large TV on the televator gets 28 stations after doing an auto search ( tried it a few times). The bedroom TV and the overhead one in the cockpit both get 58 channels. I haven't checked the outside TV yet. Coax going into the televator TV is tight, I'm thinking maybe there is a loose connection on a splitter somewhere. Any idea where the coax is routed and where teh splitters are ? 2013 DS 4338
Thanks
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2018, 07:24 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Is the TV configured for Antenna input?
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 07:34 AM   #3

Check to make sure you are scanning both analog and digital. At the end of scan most TVs display results as digital found = X and analog found = Y.
Old 10-26-2018, 07:54 AM   #4

Not sure if ours is the same but the splitters for us is under the sink against the back wall. Not sure how they run the coax cables. We also get a different amount of channels on the different TV's but nut the spread that you are getting. Typically it might be just a 2-3 channel difference.
oregonhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 09:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonhiker View Post
Not sure if ours is the same but the splitters for us is under the sink against the back wall. Not sure how they run the coax cables. We also get a different amount of channels on the different TV's but nut the spread that you are getting. Typically it might be just a 2-3 channel difference.
Thanks- that's where mine is too. You need to be a contortionist to get to it. I checked an the connections are tight, so, when I get home next week, I'll dig into it further.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:25 AM   #6

update- so I got out and checked the outside TV, it too had limited channels like the televator TV. Both TV's are off the same splitter. I guess the splitter or the feed into the splitter is suspect. There must be 1 or 2 more splitters somewhere that feed the other 2 TV's that are working OK.
Old 10-27-2018, 04:55 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'd tend to think the splitter is fine. I'd look closely at the auto programming instructions for each tv in addition to the comments already made.
Old 10-27-2018, 05:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
update- so I got out and checked the outside TV, it too had limited channels like the televator TV. Both TV's are off the same splitter. I guess the splitter or the feed into the splitter is suspect. There must be 1 or 2 more splitters somewhere that feed the other 2 TV's that are working OK.

Run a coax directly from the outside TV to the pedestal and see what happens.
Old 10-28-2018, 07:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
I'd tend to think the splitter is fine. I'd look closely at the auto programming instructions for each tv in addition to the comments already made.
no issue with autoprogramming. All TV's are the same and I've had them for 5 years. This just started on the 2 tv's - others are fine
Old 10-28-2018, 07:04 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Run a coax directly from the outside TV to the pedestal and see what happens.
Good idea- I'll give that a shot later.
Old 10-28-2018, 10:15 AM   #11

I have the same problem all the time. I am at Newmar and they will be installing a new splitter with a signal amplifier that I purchased off of Amazon. Many times the cable at the CG is split so many times the signal is weak coming into the coach. Split it 4 ways with a long run of coax and the signal is too weak for the TVs to pick up. I will report back once it is installed and we have tried it at a CG...
Jtrving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 12:05 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtrving View Post
I have the same problem all the time. I am at Newmar and they will be installing a new splitter with a signal amplifier that I purchased off of Amazon. Many times the cable at the CG is split so many times the signal is weak coming into the coach. Split it 4 ways with a long run of coax and the signal is too weak for the TVs to pick up. I will report back once it is installed and we have tried it at a CG...
I have the same issue with my bedroom tv. I have found that it depends on the RV park we are at some work great some the front tv gets more channels than the bedroom. I do agree that the park signal strength has a lot to do with the problem. I think my splitter is in the basement on driver side about the 3rd or 4th compartment back.
JP
Mr JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 01:43 PM   #13

I have a 2019 Canyon Star with similar problems. I would imagine gas and DP TV wiring are the same. Here's what I tracked down.

The cable connector from the rear of the coach is connected to the input of a 4 way splitter located next to the televator. Output 1 of 4 is connected to the outside TV, output 2 of 4 is connected to the televator TV and output 3 of 4 is connected to the input of a second splitter located behind the overdash TV. Output 4 of 4 is not connected to anything.

On the splitter behind to overdash TV, output 1 of 4 is connected to the overdash TV, output 2 of 4 is connected to the bedroom TV and outputs 3 of 4 and 4 of 4 are not connected to anything.

Leaving splitter outputs disconnected causes a good bit of signal loss and you would think that Newmar engineers would know that. Splitter outputs should either be connected to something or properly terminated. I elected to replace the 4 output splitter with a 3 output splitter at the televator and replace the 4 output splitter behind the overdash TV with a 2 output splitter. That fixed my problem.

Here's an article. Maybe someone should send it to Newmar.

https://blog.solidsignal.com/tutoria...-unused-ports/
Old 12-23-2018, 05:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtrving View Post
Jtrving-- how dd the amplified splitter work out ?

Tags
cable, problem