Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-23-2017, 06:54 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Contender's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Marblehead, OH
Posts: 169
Calculate fccc dp turning radius from wheelbase

CALCULATE DP TURNING RADIUS FROM WHEELBASE - FCCC - SINGLE REAR AXLE
Just got off the phone with FREIGHTLINER CUSTOM CHASSIS CORPORATION
CUSTOMER SUPPORT CENTER 1-800-FTL-HELP (1-800-385-4357)

INDEPENDENT FRONT SUSPENSION - 60 degree wheel cut:
wheelbase in inches / 0.866 = turning radius in inches (eg. DSDP @ 242”WB / 0.866 = 279.445” : 279.445/12 = 23.28ft. turning radius
STRAIGHT AXLE FRONT SUSPENSION - 55 degree wheel cut
wheelbase in inches / 0.819 = turning radius in inches (242” / .819 = 295.482 :295.482/12 = 24.62ft. turning radius

will almost make it from my 22' street into my 22' driveway !!
Contender is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2017, 07:49 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Rotten-Red's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Benton Harbor, Michigan
Posts: 848
If your street is 22' wide and your driveway is 22' wide and at a 90 degree angle you have all kinds of room to make the turn in. Turning radius is the amount of room needed to make a complete 180 degree u-turn.
__________________
2008 Nash 25S
Rotten-Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:18 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Full Timer - where ever we are parked
Posts: 125
Thank you Contender!

That would make the New Aire's turning radius 206/.866=237.875" or 19.82'!
valentob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 03:55 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Northeast CT
Posts: 1,202
just make sure your front axle turning radius numbers are accurate....

what FCCC shows for specs, and what they actually are on built coaches, can be different...due to the way newmar builds the house....
__________________
2018 Dutch Star 4326 K2 SOLD
2020 LTV Unity 24RL
Doing my part to help control the flying insect population......
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:19 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Contender's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Marblehead, OH
Posts: 169
Radius = half-circle, like turning into driveway / U-turn is full circle right?
Contender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:52 PM   #6
Community Moderator
 
TonyDi's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Point Pleasant Beach, NJ
Posts: 26,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contender View Post
Radius = half-circle, like turning into driveway / U-turn is full circle right?
U-turn is 180 degrees. 1/2 circle. Turning into a driveway is 90 degrees 1/4 circle.
__________________
Tony & Ruth........... FMCA#F416727
2016 London Aire 4519, Freightliner chassis, Cummins ISX, 2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, Blue Ox Avail with AF1. TST 507 TPMS
My get up and go, got up and went.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 08:21 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
KenSherwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 706
Remember that there are several different 'turning radius' numbers to be concerned about.
1) The radius swept by the outside front corner of the body (or possibly the mirror), useful for clearing trees and other big obstacles.
2) The radius swept by the outside front tire, useful for clearing curbs and potholes outside the turn.
3) The radius swept by the inside rear wheel, useful for clearing inside curbs and small decorative rocks.
4. The radius swept by the body above the single rear axle or somewhere the rear axle and tag axle. This is useful for clearing stop signs and large decorative rocks.


Which one did you calculate and what are the others?
__________________
To the engineer, the world is a toy box full of sub-optimized and feature-poor toys.
KenSherwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 03:25 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Northeast CT
Posts: 1,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenSherwin View Post
Remember that there are several different 'turning radius' numbers to be concerned about.
1) The radius swept by the outside front corner of the body (or possibly the mirror), useful for clearing trees and other big obstacles.
2) The radius swept by the outside front tire, useful for clearing curbs and potholes outside the turn.
3) The radius swept by the inside rear wheel, useful for clearing inside curbs and small decorative rocks.
4. The radius swept by the body above the single rear axle or somewhere the rear axle and tag axle. This is useful for clearing stop signs and large decorative rocks.


Which one did you calculate and what are the others?
if you are clearing the stop signs and large decorative rocks, everything else takes care of it self...

__________________
2018 Dutch Star 4326 K2 SOLD
2020 LTV Unity 24RL
Doing my part to help control the flying insect population......
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 10:15 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
BBelanger's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Vail, Arizona
Posts: 2,044
I parked my rig in a parking lot. Cut the wheels all the way to the left and turned 180 degrees. I measured from the right side steer tire across the diameter where that tire stopped and got 99 feet. I actually paced it because that's what I will do to determine if I can make a turn or not. I'm not gonna run a 100 foot tape across the road.

I would swear that my FL 4018 turned much tighter than that, but I didn't measure it. In any case, this rig turns like a battleship.
__________________
Bill & Chris Bélanger (KI1Z)
'04 Georgetown XL > '17 4018 DSDP FL > '18 DSDP 4327 K2> ‘21 LA 4551 K3
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon 2 Door
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 11:32 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 410
Ok, I don't want to cause problems here, but, if you turn 180 degrees you will be measuring the diameter not the radius. The radius is from the center of a circle to the outside of the circle, the diameter is from outside of circle to outside of circle passing through the center. But now look at the OPs wheelbase being at 242 inches which is 20' 2'', if you could turn the front tires at 90 degrees (which you can't) and the inside rear tire simply spun (which it can't) you would need 40' 4" to make the 180 degree turn plus you have to add in more distance for the width of the coach. Then you have to add in the fact that your front tires are back from the front of the coach so that needs to be allowed for as well when it comes to missing objects. Also, you don't want to forget about the tail swing. I don't think the formula used allows for the width of the coach, front overhang or tail swing. With all that being said, the best way to really know is the large parking lot method to find out how much space is really required. My wheelbase is 250" plus a tag axle and the county road in front of my place is probably around 22' wide but my drive is narrower than that and I have no problem turning in with my toad following along. My coach has a solid front axle which I think is advertised as 55 degrees. When you allow for everything you will probably need at least 100 feet to make a u turn but turning into your drive should not be a problem.
Dave
Woodman018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 10:50 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Rotten-Red's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Benton Harbor, Michigan
Posts: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBelanger View Post
I parked my rig in a parking lot. Cut the wheels all the way to the left and turned 180 degrees. I measured from the right side steer tire across the diameter where that tire stopped and got 99 feet. I actually paced it because that's what I will do to determine if I can make a turn or not. I'm not gonna run a 100 foot tape across the road.

I would swear that my FL 4018 turned much tighter than that, but I didn't measure it. In any case, this rig turns like a battleship.
I did the exact same thing you have done with my 252" WB Spartan MM IFS chassis. I need 75' from outside of circle to outside of circle to make a u-turn. I use 3' as a pace, so I use 25 paces to see if I can make a u-turn before attempting one with the toad attached if the space is questionable. The last thing you want to do is make a u-turn with the toad and find out you don't have the room to complete the turn. Toad's don't unhook easily when put in a tight turn.
__________________
2008 Nash 25S
Rotten-Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 10:55 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
BBelanger's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Vail, Arizona
Posts: 2,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten-Red View Post
I did the exact same thing you have done with my 252" WB Spartan MM IFS chassis. I need 75' from outside of circle to outside of circle to make a u-turn. I use 3' as a pace, so I use 25 paces to see if I can make a u-turn before attempting one with the toad attached if the space is questionable. The last thing you want to do is make a u-turn with the toad and find out you don't have the room to complete the turn. Toad's don't unhook easily when put in a tight turn.
Do you mean with traffic backing up and the horns beeping on a rainy day just after dark?
__________________
Bill & Chris Bélanger (KI1Z)
'04 Georgetown XL > '17 4018 DSDP FL > '18 DSDP 4327 K2> ‘21 LA 4551 K3
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon 2 Door
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 11:16 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Rotten-Red's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Benton Harbor, Michigan
Posts: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBelanger View Post
Do you mean with traffic backing up and the horns beeping on a rainy day just after dark?
Yeah, something like that! Plus at that point you're so nervous you can't remember how to unhook it.
__________________
2008 Nash 25S
Rotten-Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 11:43 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Rotten-Red's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Benton Harbor, Michigan
Posts: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman018 View Post
Ok, I don't want to cause problems here, but, if you turn 180 degrees you will be measuring the diameter not the radius. The radius is from the center of a circle to the outside of the circle, the diameter is from outside of circle to outside of circle passing through the center. But now look at the OPs wheelbase being at 242 inches which is 20' 2'', if you could turn the front tires at 90 degrees (which you can't) and the inside rear tire simply spun (which it can't) you would need 40' 4" to make the 180 degree turn plus you have to add in more distance for the width of the coach. Then you have to add in the fact that your front tires are back from the front of the coach so that needs to be allowed for as well when it comes to missing objects. Also, you don't want to forget about the tail swing. I don't think the formula used allows for the width of the coach, front overhang or tail swing. With all that being said, the best way to really know is the large parking lot method to find out how much space is really required. My wheelbase is 250" plus a tag axle and the county road in front of my place is probably around 22' wide but my drive is narrower than that and I have no problem turning in with my toad following along. My coach has a solid front axle which I think is advertised as 55 degrees. When you allow for everything you will probably need at least 100 feet to make a u turn but turning into your drive should not be a problem.
Dave
My road is 20' wide and my drive is 22' wide. I can also turn my 252" WB in with toad attached. No problem.

Toad's don't really add much in the amount of space needed to make a turn. Tag axles don't add space needed also. The pivot point in a turn will always be the drive axle since it's the heaviest by far. Now if you were talking about a semi tractor with tandem drive axles where the weight is equally divided between the axles then the pivot point would be the center of the two axles.

As for extra room needed to turn with a toad. If you measure the distance from the center of your drive axle to the center of the hitch pivot point, then measure the distance from the hitch pivot point to the center of the rear axle on the toad. If the distance from the hitch pivot point to the center of the rear axle on the toad is equal to or less than the distance from the center of the drive axle to the pivot point of the hitch the toad will follow the MH without any extra needed space.
__________________
2008 Nash 25S
Rotten-Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fccc



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is Spartan turning radius? Higherground Tiffin Owner's Forum 2 04-14-2010 02:28 PM
Turning Radius ? RickNB Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum 4 11-14-2008 06:49 AM
Turning Radius on Evolution Chassis SMIES Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum 3 03-01-2007 03:08 PM
Turning Radius SMIES Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 6 02-27-2007 01:22 PM
Turning radius Karl Newmar Owner's Forum 7 02-15-2006 07:27 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.