RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2020, 06:31 PM   #1

California and Gas

https://fox8.com/news/california-to-...-cars-by-2035/

California Governor Newsome just signed an executive order that starting in 2035 gas powered vehicles can no longer be sold in the state. 14 years away. Not too long and no real details how this will really affect people and business. The governor says he is concerned about climate change.... oh, I'm sorry, I should have said internal combustion engines..... got to include diesels...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2020, 06:46 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Just to be clear the order I read said internal combustion powered only cars so a hybrid gas or diesel would be ok. There are no specifics. No mention of trucks or RV’s Pure theater.
BillJinOR is offline   Reply
Old 09-23-2020, 06:49 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Don't worry, the King will overrule it.

The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply
Old 09-23-2020, 06:54 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If I am in the market for a new gas car in 14 years I will buy it someplace other than CA.
That is if I can get a license at 95
rgvtexan is offline   Reply
Old 09-23-2020, 07:00 PM   #5

I would certainly like to see how this works out. I'm on board to buy an electric or electric hybrid.

Mark
Old 09-23-2020, 07:09 PM   #6

How stupid is he? They cant even keep the power on for all their people in the summer. Black outs and brown outs have been the norm in CA for 20 years. How do they think their going to get more electricity to charge all those cars? Or right, more 1000 acre solar farms. A thousand more wind turbines so we can kill more birds! Makes perfect sence
Old 09-23-2020, 07:11 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
Just to be clear the order I read said internal combustion powered only cars so a hybrid gas or diesel would be ok.
Not. Diesels are internal combustion engines, and hybrids contain internal combustion engines.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply
Old 09-23-2020, 07:16 PM   #8

I'd be 90 yrs old and lucky to be still driving in 2035 let alone buying a vehicle.
Seon is offline   Reply
Old 09-23-2020, 08:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
Just to be clear the order I read said internal combustion powered only cars so a hybrid gas or diesel would be ok. There are no specifics. No mention of trucks or RVís Pure theater.
I didnít really study the EO but I donít think it says you canít buy internal combustion cars after 2035 only no NEW ones. Iíd expect a powerful lot of new 2034s to be sold! Also, I thought I read that trucks will be included in 2045. Not too worried about it. If I never go to California again itíll be too soon!
PetesMH is offline   Reply
Old 09-23-2020, 09:04 PM   #10
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
My guess, in 14 years California will look very different. Either sanity will set in, or anarchy will rule. Iíll pray for sanity. Opps is that a forum rule violation? Sad if true.
JMH is offline   Reply
Old 09-23-2020, 09:18 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
California and Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Not. Diesels are internal combustion engines, and hybrids contain internal combustion engines.

Yes diesels OR gas only cars are banned From sale
And the loophole i saw is that they are ďsolely ď powered by ICE
A hybrid isnít solely powered by a ice engine , it runs on battery also other reports donít mention hybrids
Either way a lot of unknowns
BillJinOR is offline   Reply
Old 09-23-2020, 09:36 PM   #12

The trucks rule is a little different, it was already set up back in June, I believe. Some gas / diesel trucks can still be sold in 2035, but 55% of class 2b & C class trucks ( such as F150 / F250 or other equiv.) sold, must be electric. The classes are set by weight (no more 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, etc.) For class 4 - 8 (large trucks, RV's, etc.), 75% of sales in California will required to be electric. All (100%) of trucks sold in California by year 2045 will be required to be electric.
This is gonna get interesting. I have a few questions about the supply of power, charging stations, etc.
Last time that I traveled Calif I-10 through the windmill farm area by Palm Springs, there was a power shortage situation going on. I noticed that very few of those giant windmills were turning. Guess what? No wind, no power.
It should also be interesting to see what the RV manufacturers come up with, but I'm staying with my diesel and will probably be retired from the RV life by then anyway.
Old 09-23-2020, 09:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalifCruiser View Post
The trucks rule is a little different, it was already set up back in June, I believe. Some gas / diesel trucks can still be sold in 2035, but 55% of class 2b & C class trucks ( such as F150 / F250 or other equiv.) sold, must be electric. The classes are set by weight (no more 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, etc.) For class 4 - 8 (large trucks, RV's, etc.), 75% of sales in California will required to be electric. All (100%) of trucks sold in California by year 2045 will be required to be electric.
This is gonna get interesting. I have a few questions about the supply of power, charging stations, etc.
Last time that I traveled Calif I-10 through the windmill farm area by Palm Springs, there was a power shortage situation going on. I noticed that very few of those giant windmills were turning. Guess what? No wind, no power.
It should also be interesting to see what the RV manufacturers come up with, but I'm staying with my diesel and will probably be retired from the RV life by then anyway.
Many of those non working wind mills are because the transmission is BROKE and it costs to much to remove/repair/replace/install then worth it

In time they will just be stationary monuments
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply
Old 09-23-2020, 10:30 PM   #14

Passes a wind farm on I-40 in Texas today and there was a huge pile of used windmill blades chopped up in 4 pieces each and stacked high in a pile. Awaiting transport to a land fill because they are not able to recycle them with todayís technology. Very few landfills are equipped to take them, most that I am aware of go to a specialized station in Wisconsin. JMHO
Closed Thread

Tags
california, gas