Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2021, 04:38 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
As much as I hate to rain on all the 'Kalifornistan' bashing and the lessons on Constitutional law from the forum legal experts, has anyone actually looked up the proposal? Beyond the RVIA article (and other articles that link to the RVIA article) I can't find any mention of this. There are a whole slew of new diesel regulations coming online in 2023 but these mostly affect 2010 and earlier vehicles and regardless, personal vehicles registered as RVs are expressly excluded. Maybe there is some white paper somewhere that is the basis of the RVIA article, I don't know, but I think it's just a little bit early to get all this excited about it. Even if such a proposal exists in all probability it will not affect personal RVs if and when it ever makes it into law.

I now return you to the California-bashing feeding frenzy, already in progress.
Stop trying to confuse the issue with facts, willya? Sheesh.
n2zon is offline   Reply
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2021, 04:40 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond View Post
I too tried to find what what proposed regulations were being considered, so I emailed the ARB and asked if the motorhome exclusion was being eliminated.
My email:

Sent: Sunday, March 14, 2021 1:47 AM
To: ARB Helpline <helpline@arb.ca.gov>
Subject: Are you eliminating motorhome exclusion?

I can’t find anything on the website that is discussing the revision of Title 13 §2025 and eliminating the motor home exclusion from diesel truck smog testing, but it is mentioned on various RV sites that diesel motorhomes won’t be able to enter California in a couple of years.

If there is regulations to that effect being discussed, how can I get information to be able to participate in the process?

This was their response:

Subject: Re: Are you eliminating motorhome exclusion?
Date: March 16, 2021 at 8:04:51 AM PDT

Good morning,

In response to your inquiry, "Will non-compliant motorhomes be able to enter California after January 1, 2023?"

According to California's Truck & Bus Regulations, private-use motorhomes fall under excluded diesel vehicle reporting and do not need to comply. As of 2023, 2009 or older on-road diesel vehicles with a GVWR of 14000lbs will be non-compliant. Motorhomes are exempt from this regulation. To avoid issues with registration in California, these vehicles may enroll in the excluded diesel vehicle reporting system (linked below). Further information on excluded vehicles can also be found in the link below.

https://ww3.arb.ca.gov/msprog/truckstop/azregs/edvr.htm
Excluded Diesel Vehicle Reporting | TruckStop
Excluded Diesel Vehicle Reporting System. To minimize the possibility of registration delays, please submit documentation that is complete, legible, and accurate, well in advance of your registration due date.
ww3.arb.ca.gov
https://air.arb.ca.gov/edvr
CARB EDVR - Entry
Please have the VIN, License Plate, and Registered Owner information ready before proceeding, and be prepared to take and upload the photos required by each reporting type.
air.arb.ca.gov

Please be aware that, in addition to Truck and Bus, diesel vehicles being operated in California must comply with many other regulations and different programs by several different agencies. Information on all of CARB’s Diesel Enforcement Programs can be found online at: https://www.arb.ca.gov/enf/diesel.htm

If you have further questions or concerns, please call us toll free at 866-6Diesel (1-866-634-3735), email us, or visit: www.arb.ca.gov/truckstop

The responses provided by 8666Diesel@arb.ca.gov in this email are based on the fleet information provided by the emailer. If the fleet information provided is incomplete or inaccurate it may affect the accuracy of these responses.

Thank you,
Quinn R.
Mobile Source Compliance & Outreach Staff
California Air Resources Board
Another one! ;-)
n2zon is offline   Reply
Old 03-18-2021, 04:47 PM   #59

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStough View Post
I dont see this as a political issue, but it seems that there is a very large segment of the population that believes that when it comes to the environment, more pollution is the solution.

Strange, I haven’t seen anyone on this thread advocating for more pollution. What I see are many comments concerning being unable to enter California with a lawfully registered vehicle from another state, and the possibility of not being able to access roads and parks which are funded in part by federal tax dollars.
Old 03-18-2021, 05:02 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephls View Post
I live in Ca. In the low desert. La Quinta area. 90 minutes from the ski slopes 2 hours to the beaches. I’ve actually done both in the same day, we do despise with a passion the politics here , but love where We live. It’s March 18th and 82 degrees and with no heat added I’ll be able to open my pool by the first of April. No bugs, it’s rare I ever see humidity over 20%, if that. Yes gasoline is a dollar higher than the bordering state. I’ll complain under my breath and fill it up. No state tax on my SS. That separated from my pension means my income tax bracket is low. Property taxes are 1.01 percent and with prop 13 the home isn’t reassessed until it’s sold so I paid 253,000 ten years ago and even though it would easily sell for over 600k now I still pay tax on 253,00. Homes being sold right now are going above asking in a matter of days

Diesel emissions testing would not be an issue out here any more than testing gas emissions if manufacturers actually developed a diesel emissions system that was as reliable as the systems for gas. I haven’t read anything that indicates their close to that happening. As far as testing people visiting in Diesel motor homes, I don’t see it happening. There’s no way they could handle it at the port entries. I see this as nothing more than someone stirring up drama.

As far as Bashing Ca I can do it with the best of you. I’ve lived in other states as well. Never found one that was perfect, at least not for me.
They’ve been devising a plan to reassess your property to current market value, because your new neighbors don’t think it’s fair that they paid more for their home and you should pay the same property tax as them. Prop 13 also allows for a 2% annual increase and then there are voted indebtedness and other costs that can increase the taxes on your home.

Please report back in August with a daytime temperature reading.
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply
Old 03-18-2021, 05:16 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM901 View Post
I think even the proposal of laws like this will continue to reduce pollution in the state.

Why?

It has led to a mass exidus of companies & people. Therefore, less people, less pollution. Attachment 321230
Why would a law that affects out of state visitors cause people to leave?
tetranz is offline   Reply
Old 03-18-2021, 05:38 PM   #62

Gonna get hungry in both CA and OR

Have you seen the string of diesel trucks supplying CA every day?
Moodywelman is offline   Reply
Old 03-18-2021, 05:46 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post
They’ve been devising a plan to reassess your property to current market value, because your new neighbors don’t think it’s fair that they paid more for their home and you should pay the same property tax as them.

Please report back in August with a daytime temperature reading.
they’ve tried a couple times over the years, hasn’t happened yet. If it does I sell and move. Till then I keep making money on property like I’ve been doing for 40 years out here.

I don’t mind the heat but yup it gets toasty. That’s what the pool is for. As far as the heat goes, I never have to shovel it, I never get stuck in it, never need to winterize nor bundle up to go outside. Rare I need a furnace and highest electric bill in the summer is a couple months at 250.

I can find lots to bash on this state, weather isn’t one of them.
Josephls is offline   Reply
Old 03-18-2021, 05:48 PM   #64

Yeah, don't go to California. They want to do this stupid crap, stay the hell out. [moderator edit]
2peasinaRV is offline   Reply
Old 03-18-2021, 06:02 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrollf View Post
If a vehicle meets Federal Safety and EPA standards... then yes, by federal law the state can not prohibit the operation of an out of state vehicle in their state as this would fall under interstate commerce laws based on the separation of state / federal government powers laid out in the US Constitution. Commerce isn't just a business making money, it includes private party travel.

These laws are in place precisely to prevent a 50 state patch work quilt of regulations, imagine having to have a driver's license for each state because they don't think the other 49 state's driving laws match theirs, or 50 different inspection stickers, a separate insurance policy for every state, some decide to drive on the left and require the driver to be on the right side... etc.

Only time the state can add extra (and CAN'T reduce) safety or EPA requirements is when the vehicle is sold and/or required to be registered in the state passing the regulations. In addition, it's illegal for a state to require you to "show papers" just for crossing state boarders. (US Border Control can... but that a whole other heated argument...)

If California does pass this law, it will shortly be contested in Federal Court where, once it gets above CA's local district level, I would bet the law would be thrown out as a violation of interstate commerce laws.
So how come California can have separate emission standards for motors (from cars to rototillers to portable generators)?? There have been for years California cars and 49 state cars. And most everything with a motor qualifies.
scooteral is offline   Reply
Old 03-18-2021, 06:03 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2peasinaRV View Post
Yeah, don't go to California. They want to do this stupid crap, stay the hell out. Let the liberals run that state in the ground.

This is the part of Ca I hate but Sadly more and more states are going this way.
Josephls is offline   Reply
Old 03-18-2021, 06:06 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond View Post
I too tried to find what what proposed regulations were being considered, so I emailed the ARB and asked if the motorhome exclusion was being eliminated.
My email:

Sent: Sunday, March 14, 2021 1:47 AM
To: ARB Helpline <helpline@arb.ca.gov>
Subject: Are you eliminating motorhome exclusion?

I can’t find anything on the website that is discussing the revision of Title 13 §2025 and eliminating the motor home exclusion from diesel truck smog testing, but it is mentioned on various RV sites that diesel motorhomes won’t be able to enter California in a couple of years.

If there is regulations to that effect being discussed, how can I get information to be able to participate in the process?

This was their response:

Subject: Re: Are you eliminating motorhome exclusion?
Date: March 16, 2021 at 8:04:51 AM PDT

Good morning,

In response to your inquiry, "Will non-compliant motorhomes be able to enter California after January 1, 2023?"

According to California's Truck & Bus Regulations, private-use motorhomes fall under excluded diesel vehicle reporting and do not need to comply. As of 2023, 2009 or older on-road diesel vehicles with a GVWR of 14000lbs will be non-compliant. Motorhomes are exempt from this regulation. To avoid issues with registration in California, these vehicles may enroll in the excluded diesel vehicle reporting system (linked below). Further information on excluded vehicles can also be found in the link below.

https://ww3.arb.ca.gov/msprog/truckstop/azregs/edvr.htm
Excluded Diesel Vehicle Reporting | TruckStop
Excluded Diesel Vehicle Reporting System. To minimize the possibility of registration delays, please submit documentation that is complete, legible, and accurate, well in advance of your registration due date.
ww3.arb.ca.gov
https://air.arb.ca.gov/edvr
CARB EDVR - Entry
Please have the VIN, License Plate, and Registered Owner information ready before proceeding, and be prepared to take and upload the photos required by each reporting type.
air.arb.ca.gov

Please be aware that, in addition to Truck and Bus, diesel vehicles being operated in California must comply with many other regulations and different programs by several different agencies. Information on all of CARB’s Diesel Enforcement Programs can be found online at: https://www.arb.ca.gov/enf/diesel.htm

If you have further questions or concerns, please call us toll free at 866-6Diesel (1-866-634-3735), email us, or visit: www.arb.ca.gov/truckstop

The responses provided by 8666Diesel@arb.ca.gov in this email are based on the fleet information provided by the emailer. If the fleet information provided is incomplete or inaccurate it may affect the accuracy of these responses.

Thank you,
Quinn R.
Mobile Source Compliance & Outreach Staff
California Air Resources Board
You're a reverse Don Quixote - the bulk of responses to what amounts to "lie-ware" referenced by post #1 are jousting at imaginary windmills but you'll likely be the person called delusional.
Old 03-18-2021, 06:14 PM   #68
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
THREAD CLOSED

In spite of the continued warning and the agreement at the beginning of the thread. Some have chosen to make and continue this as a political discussion.

Thank you to all that posted within the rules.
TonyDi is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
california, diesel, motor, motorhome, motorhomes