Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2021, 02:59 PM   #43

California

I guess the ones that should have the greater concern regarding California restrictions on Motorhomes would be the businesses that stand to lose. Not the least of which are the elaborate RV parks that have invested millions.
mebop is offline   Reply
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2021, 03:04 PM   #44

From the answers, you can tell who supports which political party
sw3ps is offline   Reply
Old 03-18-2021, 03:04 PM   #45

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We are not Californians but we lived in Southern California for five years a few years ago. We loved the weather and the lack of bugs along the coast. Loved the scenery and the geography.

We never really understood the mindset of the people. Not that I thought they were wrong, they were just different than us and some things that made since to most of the locals were lost on me.

We have enjoyed vacationing in California. Hopefully reason prevails in this case and we can find a national way to respect the environment and preserve our freedom of travel.

They have overall length laws for coach and tow vehicle in California but they are mostly unenforced. Maybe this will be the same.

But I did get a $470 ticket for making a rolling stop through a red light on my bicycle in California. So I believe if they can make some money from people who have a little they will.
Sold 2017 Entegra Cornerstone B
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply
Old 03-18-2021, 03:08 PM   #46

A lot of our problems in California is caused by overpopulated and corrupt cities with morons voted into power. So they make laws to address a lot of those problems caused by those population centers, namely the SF Bay Area, Sacramento and L.A. area.

But there is another California that is not living under these conditions. It is in rural communities and small towns scattered in the other 90% of the state away from the cities. Unfortunately, they apply the big city laws to all communities where they are rarely necessary. This is the One Size Fits All mentality. That AB5 may have reduced pollution in those big population areas, but out here, it has devastated small businesses that used diesel trucks where the pollution was effectively non existent.

Up until now they have not attacked the RV owners. But it sounds like that is coming. As an owner of an almost 20 year old RV, I see a change in our RV lifestyle.
Mick88 is offline   Reply
Old 03-18-2021, 03:13 PM   #47

California Rv's

you get what you vote for maybe that will be recalled as well (lol)
Herb51 is offline   Reply
Old 03-18-2021, 03:15 PM   #48

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw3ps View Post
From the answers, you can tell who supports which political party
I dont see this as a political issue, but it seems that there is a very large segment of the population that believes that when it comes to the environment, more pollution is the solution.
Old 03-18-2021, 03:19 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahdi View Post
Any ideas about how this is going to pan out for motor coaches going into California?
https://camperreport.com/california-...m_medium=email
Yet all the millions of trucks coming from Mexico with no emission, no safety checks, no English-speaking drivers, are allowed to travel freely on our highways coming in from Mexico.
kendall69 is offline   Reply
Old 03-18-2021, 03:19 PM   #50

Motorhomes are exempt

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
... has anyone actually looked up the proposal? Beyond the RVIA article (and other articles that link to the RVIA article) I can't find any mention of this. ...
I too tried to find what what proposed regulations were being considered, so I emailed the ARB and asked if the motorhome exclusion was being eliminated.
My email:

Sent: Sunday, March 14, 2021 1:47 AM
To: ARB Helpline <helpline@arb.ca.gov>
Subject: Are you eliminating motorhome exclusion?

I can’t find anything on the website that is discussing the revision of Title 13 §2025 and eliminating the motor home exclusion from diesel truck smog testing, but it is mentioned on various RV sites that diesel motorhomes won’t be able to enter California in a couple of years.

If there is regulations to that effect being discussed, how can I get information to be able to participate in the process?

This was their response:

Subject: Re: Are you eliminating motorhome exclusion?
Date: March 16, 2021 at 8:04:51 AM PDT

Good morning,

In response to your inquiry, "Will non-compliant motorhomes be able to enter California after January 1, 2023?"

According to California's Truck & Bus Regulations, private-use motorhomes fall under excluded diesel vehicle reporting and do not need to comply. As of 2023, 2009 or older on-road diesel vehicles with a GVWR of 14000lbs will be non-compliant. Motorhomes are exempt from this regulation. To avoid issues with registration in California, these vehicles may enroll in the excluded diesel vehicle reporting system (linked below). Further information on excluded vehicles can also be found in the link below.

https://ww3.arb.ca.gov/msprog/truckstop/azregs/edvr.htm
Excluded Diesel Vehicle Reporting | TruckStop
Excluded Diesel Vehicle Reporting System. To minimize the possibility of registration delays, please submit documentation that is complete, legible, and accurate, well in advance of your registration due date.
ww3.arb.ca.gov
https://air.arb.ca.gov/edvr
CARB EDVR - Entry
Please have the VIN, License Plate, and Registered Owner information ready before proceeding, and be prepared to take and upload the photos required by each reporting type.
air.arb.ca.gov

Please be aware that, in addition to Truck and Bus, diesel vehicles being operated in California must comply with many other regulations and different programs by several different agencies. Information on all of CARB’s Diesel Enforcement Programs can be found online at: https://www.arb.ca.gov/enf/diesel.htm

If you have further questions or concerns, please call us toll free at 866-6Diesel (1-866-634-3735), email us, or visit: www.arb.ca.gov/truckstop

The responses provided by 8666Diesel@arb.ca.gov in this email are based on the fleet information provided by the emailer. If the fleet information provided is incomplete or inaccurate it may affect the accuracy of these responses.

Thank you,
Quinn R.
Mobile Source Compliance & Outreach Staff
California Air Resources Board
Beyond is offline   Reply
Old 03-18-2021, 03:20 PM   #51

Diesel Vs Gas

I understand the want to reduce pollution which is what I'm sure California is trying to do. But let's look at the facts. Comparing the same two vehicles, one diesel and one gas, The diesel gives approx, 25% better mileage. Yes it puts out more pollution than gas, but governments try to compare (per gallon burned) instead of (distance travelled.) If you compare two vehicles going the same distance, the diesel doesn't give off any more pollution than the gas because it burns less fuel. That is until the government made them put on DEF burners which cuts the diesel's mileage by about 28%. Now they create more pollution than the gas. Remove the DEF and diesel is less polluting than gas when compared to mileage travelled. Lets not kid ourselves, this is just another tax grab.
Cal2 is offline   Reply
Old 03-18-2021, 03:24 PM   #52

Freightliner Owners Club
no diesel in California with out of state tags

Question if they pull that off how are they going to get anything delivered to them? All commercial truck traffic is from out of state with non California tags.
2018 Weekend Warrior 4620 fifth wheel toy hauler
2upServant is offline   Reply
Old 03-18-2021, 03:26 PM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to bistchr
AZ to ORegon

I would love to bypass Calif now that I have moved out of it after spending 65 years living there, except the immediate family live in CA still and I don't know if I can make it from Lake Havsu Az to Oregon border on one tank of fuel in my Holiday Rambler 5.9 Cummins Diesel. They sure do their best to convince people not to live there though. I got the message.
bistchr is offline   Reply
Old 03-18-2021, 03:47 PM   #54

According to Beyonds post motorhomes will be exempt. That's a good thing since where I live we don't have emissions tests.... Not that I was planning on going to Cali anytime soon...
LifeSalt is offline   Reply
Old 03-18-2021, 04:15 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS15 View Post
It’s that type of acceptance that allows politicians to get away with the ridiculous proposals they try to pass. Why do you think we pay $20,000.00 + for our coaches because of the DEF systems on them and if they don’t work properly the system derates and eventually shuts down the engine until it is fixed. Sounds like the mandatory compliance is already built into them. Why doesn’t California limit the bill to all diesel coaches to 2018 and below? Newer coaches have a “government required” better DEF system? As you say, “OK with me”. Watch out what you ask for or are “OK” with, you just may get it! It appears that the Federal Government already addressed this. I totally agree, another stupid State of California rule overstepping it’s jurisdiction but more of a way to get extra revenue from people that don’t live there. Guess this is one of only ways that California can try to get extra revenue to cover the masses of people and businesses leaving their state. Glad I have no desire to go there.
Very politely said. X2
cekkk is offline   Reply
Old 03-18-2021, 04:32 PM   #56

I live in Ca. In the low desert. La Quinta area. 90 minutes from the ski slopes 2 hours to the beaches. I’ve actually done both in the same day, we do despise with a passion the politics here , but love where We live. It’s March 18th and 82 degrees and with no heat added I’ll be able to open my pool by the first of April. No bugs, it’s rare I ever see humidity over 20%, if that. Yes gasoline is a dollar higher than the bordering state. I’ll complain under my breath and fill it up. No state tax on my SS. That separated from my pension means my income tax bracket is low. Property taxes are 1.01 percent and with prop 13 the home isn’t reassessed until it’s sold so I paid 253,000 ten years ago and even though it would easily sell for over 600k now I still pay tax on 253,00. Homes being sold right now are going above asking in a matter of days

Diesel emissions testing would not be an issue out here any more than testing gas emissions if manufacturers actually developed a diesel emissions system that was as reliable as the systems for gas. I haven’t read anything that indicates their close to that happening. As far as testing people visiting in Diesel motor homes, I don’t see it happening. There’s no way they could handle it at the port entries. I see this as nothing more than someone stirring up drama.

As far as Bashing Ca I can do it with the best of you. I’ve lived in other states as well. Never found one that was perfect, at least not for me.
Josephls is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
california, diesel, motor, motorhome, motorhomes