Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2007, 11:05 AM   #1

GaryKD as me to start a new post. I have a 2004 KSDP on a FL Chassis built between Feb 1,2003 and July 18,2003. I know my problems and am in the mist of trying to get the situation reevaluated.

I would love to know if any one else has a newmar product on a FL chassis built during this time. I need help in determining if mine is an isolated issue. The issue at this time will need to remain just that and Issue.

It may be possible that there may be other maufactures that used FL chassis built during this time. If you can help and do not want to use this forum, please contact me at workingnoway@yahoo.com

Thanks for listening
Workingnoway
and loving it
2004 KSDP
Workingnoway is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2007, 11:05 AM   #2

GaryKD as me to start a new post. I have a 2004 KSDP on a FL Chassis built between Feb 1,2003 and July 18,2003. I know my problems and am in the mist of trying to get the situation reevaluated.

I would love to know if any one else has a newmar product on a FL chassis built during this time. I need help in determining if mine is an isolated issue. The issue at this time will need to remain just that and Issue.

It may be possible that there may be other maufactures that used FL chassis built during this time. If you can help and do not want to use this forum, please contact me at workingnoway@yahoo.com

Thanks for listening
Workingnoway
and loving it
2004 KSDP
Old 02-19-2007, 12:50 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm short cutting your question down to the FL Chassis forum also to see if any others have the chassis in that same time period. Other MFG's have used the chassis also.
You will get your answers from either forum.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 06:36 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
one with a Frightliner chassis built in the 2003 year that has had problems with it,it does not have to be just a Newmar coach.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:47 AM   #5

We have a 2004 MADP built on a FL chassis that was probably built in '03. No need to be cryptic -- what "issues" are you having?
Old 02-21-2007, 08:39 AM   #6

That right no need to be crptic or rant and rave. Just check the recall info for NHTSA 03v-488. I have the complete recall info of 8 pages.

Good Luck, contact me if you need help.
Workingnoway
and love it
but sitting still until.......
Old 02-21-2007, 09:19 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Recall 03v-488
Production Dates 2/1/03--7/18/03
Model 2003 Freightliner FS-65 SCHOOL BUS CHASSIS, MB SHUTTLE BUS CHASSIS, AND "XC RV" CHASSIS.
Recall Description: Incorrect 1.7" (43mm) axel stop bolts were installed on certain front axels.
It may be possible to turn the front wheels in either direction until the tires contact or damage to other steering components, resulting in vehicle damage, or possibly a vehicle crash.
Remedy: Dealers will replace the incorrect bolts with bolts of correct size and steering gear poppets will be inspected and replaced if necessary.

Sounds pretty stright foward to me as to what and who is to correct it. Freightliner dealer.
Your sticker near drivers seat indicates the month and year your chassis was made. If it falls within these months have your chassis checked out.
Have seen recalls for chassis for buses but not RV chassis but this recall does include the RV chassis.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:10 AM   #8

007: This may seem straight forward to you. Do not forget this recall was reported the last of 2003. That was three (3) years ago. But if anyone thinks they are under this recall then there should be records of where and when the recall was corrected. There should be more than a computer print out from FL stating it was inspected or completed.

Workingnoway
and loving it
but sitting still until
2004 Newmar KSDP on 6/30/2003 FL Chassis
Old 02-22-2007, 03:51 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I realize its 3 years old but as you say it should be still in their if it hasn't been completed. If it was brought to a dealer who said he did it and didn't, theres a problem.
Recalls I have had done I have marked the item to make sure it was changed and they provided a sticker for inspections with recall # and service order #.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:52 AM   #10

I have written to Freightliner, Newmar and Independence RV concerning the recall records. There is no sticker in the position required by the recall.

I checked NHSTA for Newmar recalls on the NHTSA 03V-488 and there is no recall listed under Newmar. Why?

Workingnoway
and Loving it
Sitting Still Until
04 KSDP
Freightliner Built 6/30/03
Old 03-23-2007, 05:37 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The recall would be under the chassis builder not Newmar. Have you ever brought the coach to Freightliner to see if the recall was ever done.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:31 PM   #12

007:
The recall should be under both companies just as the Dometic Frig recall. On the Dometic Recall, Newar only recalled Models 1997-2003. Newmar did not take in the 2004 models. Mine is a 2004 and the Frig is listed on the recall for model and serial #.

I think this is what happened to the Freightliner 03V-488. I had it at Freightliner Factory because of a loose Axle Spring or Support nut (thought the front end was coming off) and received the info concerning the recall with other work orders at that time. That was 06/05.

I was complaining about my steering and the Axle Spring nuts were loose then someone would have double checked the Axle Stop Bolts recall. Especially since their records only show it as inspected. But this goes back to good customer service.

And you have not seen page two of the story.

Workingnoway
and Loving it
Sitting still until
04 KSDP
Freightliner Built 6/30/03
NHTSA Recall 03V-488
And ......
Old 03-24-2007, 01:46 AM   #13

Workingnoway

Just a point of clarification, the refer recall is a Dometic recall, not a motorhome manufacturers recall. Newmar (Nor any other MH manufacturer) has issued a recall notice. If you search the NHTSA web site for the refer recall you will only find find NHTSA Campaign ID Number: 06E076000. None of the MH manufacturers are mentioned in this recall notice. Dometic is dealing with the issue directly with their service centers / dealers rather than through the MH manufacturers. They felt it would slow the process down too much to work through the manufacturers. I'm sure this is the same with the Freightliner recall. There is a seperation of responsibility between the chassis manufacturer and the motorhome manufacturer. In fact, this is usually spelled out in the MH purchase agreement. You won't find a Newmar dealer doing maintenance or service on a chassis issue. Unfortunately, the RV industry is a lot more complicated than having an automobile. Not all of the componenets on an RV will be worked on by the dealer you buy it from. Newmar is one of the ones where they will usually work on everything except the chassis. It would be nice if service on your RV was a one stop shop like a car, but it just isn't so.

Jack

Jack Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 06:27 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Jack the recall is for the chassis back in 03 I post it on previous post. No one can tell him his coach was done. Not sure how far hes from a FL dealer.