Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2022, 07:07 AM   #15

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Prevost and Newell use 365’s on the tag and steer, 315’s on the drives. Michelin is the only game in town for 365’s. Used to be Prevost and Newell was the only ones using 365’s, but then the production coaches started using them because of the increase in steer axle weights. Finding 365’s has always been a problem and you’re at the mercy of Michelin production. There is an emergency service at Michelin to help with tire breakdowns and locating a tire, 800-TIRE911. Those of us who are previous Prevost owners have been fighting this battle clear back to the mid 2000’s.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2022, 04:32 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugaree View Post
You are correct. We had the latest version of the rettrobands installed At NIRVC in Phoenix last January and in early July our driver side steer tire had a large air bubble form on the sidewall that was as big as a fist. When the tire was removed the bead had been cut. We were very lucky to have avoided a blow out. Anyhow the tire was 4 years old and Brett Davis told us they will not install them on tires four years or older.
UPDATE..after this post I heard from Brett (NIRVC does a great job of monitoring social media and this forum) He wanted to ensure they made us whole and they had. Even with our issue, we are big fans of Retrobands and NIRVC! You can’t get a better product and organization that puts service first! Below is a video showing how Retrobands work….amazing!

https://youtu.be/qbWi2s7PXKo
Sugaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 08:48 AM   #17

Good Morning, I have decided to put my 2 cents worth of a lifetime career in the Tire industry and strong in the Commercial side of things. When asked questions like what started this conversation i usually try to take emotion and old boy theories away and go directly to Michelins Truck Tire Data Manual. The industry has gone to the 365/70R22.5 tire for one reason. Load carrying capacity. The RV's and Bus conversions that used the 315/80R22.5 tire and axle setup was not heavy enough. So in comes the 365 using a 20,000 lb axle on the front end of premium Bus and RV's. As stated some Bus and RV manufacturers are using it on the Tag axle also. The 365/70R22.5 tire was engineered and designed for over the road Steer use right now on Bus Conversions and Premium RV's. It is on a 10 inch wheel and speed rated up to 75 mph. Michelin DOES NOT MAKE a 385/65R22.5 of any design that is recommended to put on a 10 inch wheel. The minimum wheel width in the Truck Tire Data Book is 11.75 wide. Why would anyone even look at this tire to put on at all. Also it does not have the load carrying capacity to put on a 20,000lb axle. These are all hard facts out of the Data Book. Other brands have there own Data Books and you can compare them also. Yes there is a severe Tire shortage of all sizes and brands and has been for over a year which has also been stated in some other comments. This decision should not have one thing to do with money, it should be only what is Safe and Approved for this Application. GENTLEMAN THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE RIGHT NOW FOR THIS TIRE THAT ONLY MICHELIN MAKES. This is called a Niche Tire and in the big picture does not have enough demand or dual uses for other Manufacturers to Design, Test and put into production. This happens all the time in the tire Industry. here is also why i feel so strong on this matter. The ultimate test is an accident with a Fatality, you will see insurance Companies hiring experts if they do not have them to go over each nut and bolt on all vehicles involved to make sure everything on these vehicles is what SHOULD be on those vehicles. In doing this to lay blame on someone or something else. If I am the one to put the wrong tire on the vehicle and it is one that is involved in this scenario then now me and my company are involved. To avoid this just do the right thing, even if the customer walks. As you see I feel Very strongly about right application for these RV's as I am the guy also on the road in mine.
JohnRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 07:12 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
THANK YOU JOHNRT for responding to the nonsense and totally inaccurate information that some owners have posted on this subject thread. You are 100% correct on the 365 Michelin tire data and why it is used. It is really sad that folks will actually try and find a way to defeat all the engineering that Michelin has put into their 365 tires and actually recommend solutions that are incredibly dangerous and irresponsible. All the best...
Clemson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 06:56 PM   #19

OP here, thanks for everyone’s contributions. It’s somewhat ironic that two different tire stores, owned by the same chain, said it would be okay to run the alternative tire. That was suspect to me. I’ve spoken with Michelin who passed me off to Newmar who was understandably clueless. For now I am on back order for the Michelin tire. Thanks for your help.
Old 09-18-2022, 06:25 AM   #20

I like the Michelin RV Tires Brochure. Has a lot of generic info as well as Michelin tire specifications.

All tire manufactures have similar documentation, however I think the Michelin Brochure is an easier read for the generic stuff. Of course, you should consult the documentation for the brands you are considering.

One more thing, dual spacing is another important consideration if considering a change in tire size.
jaydee325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 12:26 PM   #21

Spartan Chassis
Thanks JOHNRT for information. I worked for over 30 years in the tire industry, mostly industrial and commercial, but didn't keep all that information when I retired 10+ years ago. As far as load rating, I pointed out that there is 200 lbs difference and did question the rim width concern. All the information about rim requirements are usually included on the tire but few techs on the installation side are trained to check before installing. That means you need to do your own checking before changing tire size/dementions. An inch and a half doesn't sound like much but does effect the tire's performance and safely. I personally would never substitute one size for another.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 09:48 AM   #22

Here’s another twist to my tire saga. Michelin says in their literature that the 365 tire should be on a 10 inch rim. Newmar’s chassis brochure indicates that they are using a 9 inch rim. When I finally find my tires, I will measure the rim to confirm.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1810.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	201.2 KB
ID:	376902
Old 09-20-2022, 11:34 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winepress View Post
My current tires on my coach are due for replacement, almost six years on the fronts. It's the size that only Michelin makes. Current delivery is 12 - 20 weeks out from the factory.

Tire size is 365 X 70 X 22.5 (Michelin Only)

Load rating- 10,000 lb
22 ply
Tire Height 42.5
Width 14.3
FMCA Price $1,058

Tire dealer is suggesting (Michelin, Bridgestone, Toyo)

385 X 65 X 22.5
Load Rating- 9,900
20 ply
Tire Height 42.9
Width 15.3
Pricing depending on brand is around $868 with Bridgestone made in USA. In stock

It seems like a reasonable alternative to the 365 that only Michelin makes. My only concern is the extra inch in width.

Am I missing something? As always, thanks for you time.
Winepress- not to be to nitpicking, but my Michelin 365/70/22.5 on my steer axle have a LR L which is 24 ply not 22 ply. The tires you are suggesting are only 20 ply. No way would I put a 20 ply tire on my steer axle with the loads we're carrying! That's just not heavy enough. 365 Michelins are available - I just bought new ones in December 2021 from Pomps Tire in Bridgeton, MO. They have 8 store locations in MO. as well as stores in other states.

Happy Trails
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 01:49 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I would like to add my thanks to JohnRT, his input confirms a lot of the individual snippets I had picked up over the last couple of years. After years in the aerospace industry, where they also have their own non-OEM parts issues, I always do exhaustive research and a systems analysis on anything which needs replacement. Just as with aircraft, tires on RVs are a critical safety item and something I've become anal about ... setting pressures, monitoring TPMS, cleaning and care, etc.

Bottom line, the 365 Michelins were specifically engineered for our RVs. There is no alternative and, even as the sole source, the volume demand is such that Michelin resorts to a batch production solution. This might result in certain periods where availability is an issue, calling for some preplanning. Yes, there is a recommendation for on-going scheduled off-rim checks once the tires get to 5 years old, but each dismounting has the potential for bead damage on these tires, so my risk assessment drove me to hard timing them at 5-6 years. I was already scheduled for a maintenance trip at Spartan, so I asked them to add tire and Valor TPMS sensor replacements to my workscope. I was even able to have Spartan work with the FMCA tire discount process, which saved a few $$ and worked seamlessly. Despite months of advance notice, it still became a just in time situation ... I was literally on the road to the Spartan plant when they called me to say my tires had just come in. Talk about fresh tires!

Yes, new tires are a big chunk of change, but it's not an area where we should cut corners and risk our rig and become a safety hazard. Hate to put it this way, but it's cheap insurance.
NCRog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 10:34 PM   #25

Pardon me for butting in here, but what are Rettrobands? New one on me
Old 09-22-2022, 03:21 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Pardon me for butting in here, but what are Rettrobands? New one on me
Hit the youtube link in post #16.
USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 12:06 PM   #27

Google Rettroband and you will get right to the infoirmatioin.

In short, it is a wheel inside the steer tires which comes into play if there is a rapid steer tiure blow out and permits the owner to continue to steer pretty much as normal after the blowout. Since many of our Class A motorcoaches are very heavy on the front axle.
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire