Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2022, 04:13 PM   #1

Calling for Tire Experts

My current tires on my coach are due for replacement, almost six years on the fronts. It's the size that only Michelin makes. Current delivery is 12 - 20 weeks out from the factory.

Tire size is 365 X 70 X 22.5 (Michelin Only)

Load rating- 10,000 lb
22 ply
Tire Height 42.5
Width 14.3
FMCA Price $1,058

Tire dealer is suggesting (Michelin, Bridgestone, Toyo)

385 X 65 X 22.5
Load Rating- 9,900
20 ply
Tire Height 42.9
Width 15.3
Pricing depending on brand is around $868 with Bridgestone made in USA. In stock

It seems like a reasonable alternative to the 365 that only Michelin makes. My only concern is the extra inch in width.

Am I missing something? As always, thanks for you time.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2022, 05:09 PM   #2

Not a tire expert, but have some experience

My advice comes down to what it is that you are (worried, concerned, hesitant) asking about.

All three tires recommended by your dealer are fine tires for your RV. The 65 vs 70 profiles are a pretty minor consideration, so I wouldn't fret about that. I also wouldn't overly fret about the listed tire heights (a half inch difference) but you may need to make a small (pretty darn small) mental adjustment to the speed indicated on your speedometer.

What may be a concern is the difference in cost. What it comes down to when I consider these choices is:

1. Did I buy an RV to save money? (I would guess not)
2. Is the difference in cost large enough that I will sell the RV before the item reaches "end of life" and save that difference?
(Yes, No, Maybe)
3. Will I have peace of mind that exceeds the satisfaction of lower costs as I use the less expensive item on unknown roads for, perhaps, years? (Hmm.)

I don't think you can make a bad decision based on the options you have presented. Consider the three questions here, then make a choice. Chances are better than good that you will make the correct choice for you.

If you keep your tires properly inflated you should have no problems. A tire minder pressure and temperature system will give you early warnings of tire/brake issues on the road that can avoid roadside breakdowns.

Many posters have posted about "China Bomb" tires that are unreliable, While I have no experiences with them, I can say the tires your shop has recommended are all quality choices.

Good luck, and perhaps I will see you down the road.
Notayurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 05:22 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Also looking for a alternative to the Michelins for the steer axle, I have Toyo's on the rear and love them, Maybe these Toyo's will work......https://www.tiresdirect.net/toyo-m14...-160k-l20.html
Not sure about rim width we have with the 365's now(10-1/2")?........Approved Rim Width 11.75-12.25 for the 385's

https://www.toyotires.com/commercial.../pattern/m149/
Old 08-30-2022, 06:55 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Unless you are seeing side wall cracking or some other defects on the tire not sure you are in any danger of waiting 12-20 weeks.

Did the tire dealer you talk to inspect the tires or you going on the assumption they need replacing a 6 years.

Just left FMCA rally in Lincoln NB and visited with Michelin tire and they suggest tire inspection on years 7, 8 and 9. Replacement at year 10.

I know that it is widely held opinion on this forum and others to replace at 6….wonder why Michelin is not of the same opinion??? After all they are in the business to sell tires.
2012 JEEP Liberty 4WD,Demco Dominator, AF1
GW4607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 07:14 PM   #5

We have found that even when told there were no 365 Michelin tires available numerous dealer had them. Here is Southern California try Pete's tires. Have suggested this to other owners and they were able to get them.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 01:01 PM   #6

Spartan Chassis
I know a lot of people "" flirt" with the maximum weight rating on their front axles so you will go from 20,000 lbs. to 19800 lbs. right off. 200 lbs doesn't sound like much but it may matter. My real concern is the rims. I don't have my chart handy but I believe that they call for different rim width. I have seen this mistake made lots of time but mostly on fifth wheel or trailers. I spent 30+ years in tire manufacturing and know tires are designed to have the beads set at the right degree to the body of the tire. A smaller rim could lead to leaking or even popping off when hitting pot holes. I'm not trying to scare you only warn you.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 02:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Roy View Post
I know a lot of people "" flirt" with the maximum weight rating on their front axles so you will go from 20,000 lbs. to 19800 lbs. right off. 200 lbs doesn't sound like much but it may matter. My real concern is the rims. I don't have my chart handy but I believe that they call for different rim width. I have seen this mistake made lots of time but mostly on fifth wheel or trailers. I spent 30+ years in tire manufacturing and know tires are designed to have the beads set at the right degree to the body of the tire. A smaller rim could lead to leaking or even popping off when hitting pot holes. I'm not trying to scare you only warn you.

Trying to determine the actual rim width on the coach, no luck so far. Not too concerned with the weight as the front axle is rated at 19,000. I’m under that.
Old 08-31-2022, 05:58 PM   #8

There is an old saying that goes as follows: "Buy the very best and you will rarely be disappointed." After all, that is why we all bought our Newmar coach in the first place. That is also why I replaced my 6 year old Michelin XRV tires with new Michelin XRV tires. It took some time to find them and a 200 mile drive to a dealer in another State but it was the right decision. This is just my opinion.
Runaway4002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 12:00 PM   #9

I agree that waiting is probably the best option. 2 years would be OK!
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 01:10 PM   #10
NXR

Calling for Tire Experts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW4607
... Just left FMCA rally in Lincoln NB and visited with Michelin tire and they suggest tire inspection on years 7, 8 and 9. Replacement at year 10.

I know that it is widely held opinion on this forum and others to replace at 6….wonder why Michelin is not of the same opinion??? After all they are in the business to sell tires.
Our 235/80R22.5 Michelin XRV tires are warranted against manufacturer defects for 7 years and the manual recommends a professional inspection after five years.

Since a professional inspection requires that the tires be removed, dismounted, inspected inside and out, and remounted, each year, it's likely more expensive to do the recommended inspection multiple times.

I also just read somewhere that NIRVC apparently will not install RettroBands on tires that are more than four years old due to concerns about the tire bead.

There also is the possibility that an old, general recommendation no longer matches current technology.

Ray
Old 09-06-2022, 06:18 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Our 235/80R22.5 Michelin XRV tires are warranted against manufacturer defects for 7 years and the manual recommends a professional inspection after five years.

Since a professional inspection requires that the tires be removed, dismounted, inspected inside and out, and remounted, each year, it's likely more expensive to do the recommended inspection multiple times.

I also just read somewhere that NIRVC apparently will not install RettroBands on tires that are more than four years old due to concerns about the tire bead.

There also is the possibility that an old, general recommendation no longer matches current technology.

Ray
You are correct. We had the latest version of the rettrobands installed At NIRVC in Phoenix last January and in early July our driver side steer tire had a large air bubble form on the sidewall that was as big as a fist. When the tire was removed the bead had been cut. We were very lucky to have avoided a blow out. Anyhow the tire was 4 years old and Brett Davis told us they will not install them on tires four years or older.
Sugaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 06:29 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
We are experiencing a “tire crisis “ today. Our coach was at the shop for a brake repair but we also discovered that they put on “run flats”. We opted to have that done before we head out on a month long trip. Apparently the current Michelin tires were damaged during the process and unable to be used. Yes, steam was coming out of our ears.
Replacement Bridgestone tires were supposed to arrive today… but didn’t. We went online to search for ourselves, with no luck to meet our leave date of this Thursday. We are shocked at the challenges.
The shop called this afternoon to state that they may have access to 2 tires ( long story) and will try to install them tomorrow. We shall see…
It’s incredible that our coach would be unusable until tires could be found. Obviously we weren’t aware of a tie crisis!
txaggies1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 08:33 PM   #13

So I have talked with many dealers and tire expert at Bridgestone. The consensus is that it is safe to run the Bridgestone on the 10.5 width rim, but expect increased wear in the center. One thing that I heard in common is that dealers are not too keen on Michelin. I try and not read too much into that. One must wonder why FL and Spartan chose this tire size when there are many alternatives available in the same overall diameters and load carrying capacity. My dark side has an opinion on this. Still doing research and will make a decision this week. Since Michelin is the only manufacturer that makes this exact size they are able to command a very high price.
Old 09-07-2022, 07:44 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Talked to a old local big tire dealer in my home town this week about the 365's, he said the 385's are to big for the 10 - 1/2" rims and said he would suggest sticking with the 365's from Michelin's unless I wanted to buy new rim's.........
The 365's have a big market other than just steer tire's on our Coach's, Prevost and Newell run the 365's all around, not sure about Foretravel.
It would be nice if another manufacture would start making the 365's also.........

Tags
tire