Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2018, 10:16 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLJOE View Post
We have been lucky so far. Some CG's you can just kind of look around and get the feeling that you probably won't be missing anything. Other places, like where we are right now for a few nights (1,000 Trails, Clermont FL), you probably want to lock everything down. There are $1,000,000 coaches here and $300 pop-ups that look like someone could be cooking meth in them. Everyone is parked on top of each other in tight narrow sites and at night there are no street lights. I am guessing out of 900 sites here every night there are thefts.
Been here almost 2 weeks. I put everything away. First week here, there was a beat up old van (not a camper van) not 200 feet from here, stuffed with junk.
Bill 3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2018, 10:32 AM   #30

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill 3rd View Post
Been here almost 2 weeks. I put everything away. First week here, there was a beat up old van (not a camper van) not 200 feet from here, stuffed with junk.
That really means nothing unless you can prove they were the culprits.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 01:10 PM   #31

Campground theft

We had a bike stolen at Pismo Coast village, then a few months later, our friends had two stolen from in front of their rig, locked with a large cable. I have been told it’s a very common thing on the central coast.
ddowntown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 01:20 PM   #32

When I was young my father drilled this into me...If you like it, lock it. I don't bother with the campsite basics but don't temp the riff-raff with high value items.
Old 02-08-2018, 01:25 PM   #33

I have never had anything come up missing luckily knock on wood. But we do camp at Disney's Fort Wilderness a lot as much as possible at least. We have heard of bikes and golf cart Chargers coming up missing. It seems pretty easy for locals to get in so it's most likely them doing it but who really knows. Those are two things I never leave out.
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 01:27 PM   #34

Many years ago, when the kids were young, we were camped at a nice park just west of Disney World. Awoke one morning to the sound of something rattling on the side of the motor home. I looked outside the bedroom window and there was a guy unscrewing the hose from the RV. I yelled at him, but by the time I got my pants on, he was gone. Kept my eye out for him for the next few days, but never saw him again.
Old 02-08-2018, 02:49 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiels7 View Post
I have never had anything come up missing luckily knock on wood. But we do camp at Disney's Fort Wilderness a lot as much as possible at least. We have heard of bikes and golf cart Chargers coming up missing. It seems pretty easy for locals to get in so it's most likely them doing it but who really knows. Those are two things I never leave out.
Had my bike stolen at Fort Wilderness last November. Didn't lock it up so shame on me, but Disney knew there was an issue and neglected to inform campers at check in.
Old 02-08-2018, 02:52 PM   #36

I have see a lot of complaints on the Fort Wilderness forums
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 07:31 PM   #37

We usually lock stuff up and put things away just out of habit. On Easter Sunday morning 2 yrs ago at Outdoor Resorts in S Cal someone cleaned out some prescription sunglasses and change from our tow vehicle. We always lock it but that particular night we forgot. Valuable lesson.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:34 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
That really means nothing unless you can prove they were the culprits.
I think the point he was trying to make is that when you see folks like that you should take notice.

This CG in Clermont is perfect for someone looking to steal stuff IMHO. They seem to let anyone in and all the sites are jammed together. Many of the campers here are gone during the day seeing the Orlando attractions.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 10:28 AM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Had a yeti cooler stolen out the back of our Rzr. Now we back in Rzr and lock down yeti. I hope they enjoyed the iced down beer with rock salt to keep it oh so cold!
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 10:47 AM   #40

I volunteer in a national park doing plant maintenance (pruning) and transplanting/revegetation. In doing pruning there are always limbs too big to go thru the chipper. We cut them into campfire length and pile by the campgrounds. No one would take them so we made a sign reading “FREE FIREWOOD” but little disappeared . Changed sign to read “PRIVATE USE ONLY” and it is gone in 24 hours or less. Go figure!
Mrb1ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 10:57 AM   #41

Tiffin Owners Club
Last summer we were part of a caravan that camped over night at Watson Lake. Another member of the group heard kids at night going into cars. Ours was open and they lifted a baby doll meant for our new grand daughter. The police were called and the doll was returned. Now we lock the car every night.

2021 Tiffin Allegro Bus 35cp, 2014 Cadillac SRX toad
36PFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 03:27 PM   #42

In 14 years not one thing stolen at a campground even though we leave things out like camp chairs, ice maker, etc.

Now, storage facility burglaries?
Ddjay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground