Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2015, 07:42 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Campgrounds in Indiana

Planning on our first shakedown cruise in the new to us 2011 Ventana 3973 in mid-October.
Want to try Indiana since if we have issues we would be near the factory. We have had significant issues with our slides since purchasing the unit.
Any suggestions on nice campgrounds where we can pull through. We are not taking a toad so will need to rely on our feet or bicycles to get around.
Interests include hiking, biking and kayaking. Being close to Bloomington would be a plus as the daughter lives there.
Thanks for any input.
soundsuperio is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2015, 09:10 PM   #2

Paynetown (state) might be a good option for you, although the biking and hiking might be better at Hardin Ridge (federal), but I don't believe there are pull throughs at H.R. (nice, private sites, though). Neither are real close to town. A private campground option might be Lake Monroe Village. It looked nice driving by and they wouldn't allow us to drive through ... which we appreciated. Also not terribly close to town. Paynetown is on the lake and has boat rentals at reasonable rates.
Wanabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 05:58 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I'm a little confused on where you want to camp--close to the factory in northern Indiana, or close to Bloomington in the south? There are many nice state parks in Indiana, but most are not close enough to towns to walk or bike to, and few have pull-through sites. Is there a reason that back in sites won't work for you since you're not pulling a toad?
twinknkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 08:01 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
If you want to be near Bloomington, I'd recommend Brown County SP. Hiking/biking trails & they've got a lodge with a restaurant (good food) so you won't have to cook or venture into town. You're not that far from Nashville, but the SP is remote so you won't want to bike there.

If you want to be near Nappanee, if you're having coach work done the factory has "Camp Newmar". Otherwise, I'd recommend Elkhart County Fairgrounds. Been there several times for RV rallies. The only issue would be you have to get out to Lincoln Hwy (main drag) to get to any restaurants or anything. You'd probably have to rent a car.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 08:38 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi soundsuperio,
While the Elkhart County Fair Grounds is a nice an inexpensive place to stay, With only feet or bicycles as transport is may not be the best choice. Consider the town of Shipshewana. There are a couple of CGs to consider:
1. Shipshewana Campground - South Park
2. Home

I've stayed at the South CG many times. You will be right at home with the bikes. Shipshewana is in the middle of Amish country and there is plenty of room to ride the bikes on the main roads. Just watch for horse poo. The South CG is an easy ride to the local Amish attractions and restaurants.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 09:36 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks all.
To be more precise, being close to Bloomington puts us close to the daughter and the area looks pretty. Only need to be close to factory as wife is concerned if we have issues.
Want a pull thru as not a lot of time in the coach backing up. Am willing to give it a try though.
Steve
soundsuperio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 10:48 AM   #7
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
If you're looking for pull-thru's there's a Jellystone that's have those. Haven't been to it to comment, but it fit's your criteria.

Bloomington & Nappanee are about 3.5hrs apart. If your wife is concerned about being near the factory for service, why not split the difference? Prophetstown SP. See my review & my photos. Of course, again, it's on the edge of town so may not be bike/pedestrian accessible to town. There used to be a restaurant/bar located near the CG entrance, but since it's been a while since we've been there, don't know if it's still there.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 11:46 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Hi soundsuperio,
Being close to the Newmar facility may provide a "warm fuzzy" but that is about all. The service department does poorly when it comes to non-scheduled requests. For me, they do very poorly. This time of year, Newmar factory service is booked solid. Maybe over solid. If you have problems they will, most likely, recommend a local mobile tech or other service facility for you to go to.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 11:52 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
If you're looking for pull-thru's there's a Jellystone that's have those. Haven't been to it to comment, but it fit's your criteria.

Bloomington & Nappanee are about 3.5hrs apart. If your wife is concerned about being near the factory for service, why not split the difference? Prophetstown SP. See my review & my photos. Of course, again, it's on the edge of town so may not be bike/pedestrian accessible to town. There used to be a restaurant/bar located near the CG entrance, but since it's been a while since we've been there, don't know if it's still there.

Lori-
+1 on Prophetstown. We used it as an en route stay and wished we could have spent more time there. We were in the 200 section and found the sites level and spacious. As stated the showerhouse facilities were great and very clean.

We were there the Wednesday before Labor day and pretty much had the back section to ourselves. Loved it and will definitely go back
tim myers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground