Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2020, 07:17 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Camping at Daytona Speedway for the 500

Hi all, DW and I will be dry camping at the Geico Park West campground for five or six nights during the Daytona 500. Never having done that before, we're reaching out to the Forum seeking wisdom/advice/suggestions/comments. I figure our biggest challenge will be fresh water. Fingers crossed that there will be a nearby hose bib, but not counting on it.
Semituff810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2020, 08:33 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Keep your awnings housed unless you are there to babysit them every minute! Other than that it is an enjoyable experience. Was there for the Rolex 24 several years ago, what a hoot!
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 10:07 AM   #3

We camped in the what was then called just the West campground 2012. We were near one of the public bathrooms and there was a
water spigot outside. When we were there the RVís parked closer to the track and the tents were out near the perimeter. The trailer we were in had enough for about 3 days with the two of us. so we used the public facilities as much as possible for the 5 days were there and got through on what we had brought with us. My wife seems to recall seeing a pump out truck when we were there,
Old 01-11-2020, 11:05 AM   #4

We are staying at the Crazy horse Campground which is at the Daytona Flea and Farmers Market. They have water and electric and shuttles to and from the track.
2peasinaRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 03:51 PM   #5

Spartan Chassis
We have been in that area the past 6 years. We try to be conservative with the water when we can. Typically we run out of grey and black tank space before water. With my wife and I we can go from a Wednesday arrival and Monday departure without refilling and dumping, but itís close.
This year we will go Saturday the weekend before the race and plan on at least one call to the septic trucks. There are also water trucks but we have a hose bib across from us and carry extra hose. There are several throughout the park, but not within reach of every site.
Old 01-11-2020, 05:39 PM   #6

Most campers have access but some require several hoses to reach. Take any spare hoses you may have.
Old 01-12-2020, 03:07 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Pdmeehan
We were there July 2018 right on Lake Lloyd. Your question related to fresh water but wanted to share that it cost us $55 to have our tanks pumped. It was a bit of a shock to me as I was told it would cost around $25. Also found if using the infield bath house facilities plan to bring your own toilet paper. Have fun. We enjoyed the infield turn-2 bleacher stands. Very close to the track! Wear ear plugs too.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:29 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
We haven't done Daytona but we have dry camped at PIR twice a year for 7days at a stretch since 2003. We were able to complete the week without having to dump or refill the water by using the public showers. We would get up early to get to the showers when they first opened to avoid the lines. We would have enough water to use our own shower on the last three days (the busiest days for the showers). Conserve your black tank by using the public rest rooms or A: don't use the macerator toilet, and B: don't flush for #1 as often.
Also you might want to consider getting a Gen-Turi exhaust system for your generator. It makes a big difference when parked so close together. https://www.amazon.com/Camco-44461-G...8936425&sr=8-1
Aweese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 04:10 PM   #9

Spartan Chassis
There are public showers available at the Geico campgrounds in Daytona as well. Canít speak to the quality of them, but have heard no complaints. Personally we prefer our own and accept that there is a pump out charge. Just part of our budget for the weekend.
Yes, please use a Genturi, itís a requirement, but not everyone is considerate to follow this policy.
Old 01-13-2020, 05:58 PM   #10

Been going for the last 15 years, park Geico yellow infield, we don't fill water till we get to track, they have plenty of hoses to fill up with water, just ask and some one will point you in the right direction, shower are good just get there early they get busy, we dump 2 time during the 10 days that we stay, will be in Geico 413 if you happen to get to the infield, have fun bring plenty of BEER !!!!
SStady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 09:04 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Iíve always wanted to take our coach to a race. We live in Orlando & will be taking it over for the Rolex 24 next week. Staying in the Geico Park West just outside track. Canít wait as Iíve heard races are a blast!
Previous: 2010 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
fsudelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 08:11 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks to all of you for the information. On your advice I have a Gen-turi being delivered today (great idea!) - and I have added more drinking water hose to the coach. I plan to pull in with full fuel and water, empty gray and black tanks.

FSUDelt- Hope to hear about your experience at the Rolex. Our spot at the 500 is #429. (go Noles!)

Again, thanks.
Semituff810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 03:40 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semituff810 View Post
Thanks to all of you for the information. On your advice I have a Gen-turi being delivered today (great idea!) - and I have added more drinking water hose to the coach. I plan to pull in with full fuel and water, empty gray and black tanks.

FSUDelt- Hope to hear about your experience at the Rolex. Our spot at the 500 is #429. (go Noles!)

Again, thanks.

Iíll post on here once getting home. We are in spot B477 in Geico Park West. Will be there Thursday to Sunday as a guys weekend away. Canít wait to experience my 1st race with the coach!

To your last comment we bring our coach up to every Florida State game & stay in booster lots by stadium. Iím liking Norvell so far!
Old 02-03-2020, 12:56 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semituff810 View Post

Again, thanks.
Well my 1st race bringing the coach to is in the books and all I can say is I'm hooked. We stayed over at the track Thursday-Sunday and I'm already looking forward to going back next year again (would like to try to get an infield spot next time vs being just outside the track). I would highly recommend going to the Rolex one year if you can as there is soo much going on as well as many different car classes racing. Don't worry too much about water and tanks as there are trucks constantly driving around you can flag down to empty your tanks and/or fill your fresh water. We made it Thursday-Sunday without having to but probably couldn't of made it much longer as there was quite a few of us using my coach. We stayed in #477 of the same lot you will be in, so it was very close to you. It's not a bad area as you are just outside track so you are kind of secluded from all the madness going on but you are also very close to the tram that takes you to the infield or the stands are right there you can walk to. Lastly keep an eye out as there are golf carts running around you can just tip the person a few bucks to drive you wherever you need to go. Have a great time and keep me posted with any questions. You'll have a blast I'm sure! Almost forgot your spot is very close to the restrooms you could use to conserve your tanks if you don't want to end up dumping while there.

Tags
camping