Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2019, 11:18 AM   #29

Location: Not Sure, but I think I should have turned left at Albuquerque
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL420 View Post
I think I would be more comfortable with a sturdier clip with a stronger spring and jaws that completely surround the shaft. I looked at chip clips first and concluded they wouldn't do the job.

When I first ordered the MH I was planning on getting one that had a lock but I wanted to wait till I picked it up to make sure it was the right size. After picking it up I didn’t think the dogs could push it it because of the location and angle, but I wanted just some extra protection. If we had kids I think I would get one that locked. When I was a kid I couldn’t resist pushing buttons and flipping switches, I guess I haven’t changed much.
FlaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2019, 11:36 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaRider View Post
When I first ordered the MH I was planning on getting one that had a lock but I wanted to wait till I picked it up to make sure it was the right size. After picking it up I didn’t think the dogs could push it it because of the location and angle, but I wanted just some extra protection. If we had kids I think I would get one that locked. When I was a kid I couldn’t resist pushing buttons and flipping switches, I guess I haven’t changed much.
I don't think you can underestimate what an excited dog trying to get at another dog or a cat outside the coach can do with a tail or hind leg. I can just imagine a thrashing hind leg hitting the top of that chip clip knocking it off and leaving the brake knob vulnerable to his next moves.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 05:07 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Pumping down the air won't help while setting up or breaking down camp, with the engine running.
The darn thing keeps pumping it back up.
Good point. I was thinking more of when you are parked. Good reason to teach children and pets not to be in the cockpit area. I like the spring clip idea, it appears to be perfect.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:03 PM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Is that guard home-made or did you purchase? I've got a young grandson who like to play grandpa with the controls...
I designed and printed it using a 3D printer.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1860293

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1976451

Two versions...

Padlock style for preventing accidental release by those with opposable thumbs (Children)

Clip-on style for preventing accidental release by those with four legs and non-opposable thumbs. (Pets)

When we travel...If I stop anywhere...the clip-on goes on right away.

When I am doing maintenance on the coach (underneath), storing, or have Granddaughter along...the padlock goes on.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:41 PM   #33

We set the coach down on the chassis routinely if we’re on a level campsite for exactly the reason you indicated, lower bottom step. When you get ready to depart you will need to “auto level” in order that system will allow you to air up!
All the best,

Jeff and Lynn
Jeff426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:24 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff426 View Post
We set the coach down on the chassis routinely if we’re on a level campsite for exactly the reason you indicated, lower bottom step. When you get ready to depart you will need to “auto level” in order that system will allow you to air up!
All the best,

Jeff and Lynn
I didn’t think about that. Are you saying it won’t air up once you start the engine?
Olroache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:25 AM   #35

Thanks. Appreciate it!
Old 03-18-2019, 12:28 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
I don't think it will harm anything..
We do not have leveling jacks, only air leveling and I dump the air then manually level.

(DW has short legs so gotta keep the entry steps close to the ground.
Thank you!
Old 03-21-2019, 02:54 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olroache View Post
Sometimes when the coach is leveled on the jacks the entrance step is very high. Will it cause any damage if I dumped the air and let the coach sit lower like that for 1-3 days?

Thanks
Orville

2009 DutchAire DP 44ft
Cummins 425hp
Spartan
I have a Country Coach Affinity and it always dumps when I hit auto level before leveling. That said I believe you should do the same before leveling if you do not have that feature built into your system. Also as for as leaving the coach in a dumped air position I would think that will not be a problem but you should look at your owners manual to confirm since I am not familiar with your coach. The only concern I would have is if your coach is setting out of level, depending on what type of refrigerator you have and how out of level you are when system is dumped you could cause your refrigerator to overheat and shut down or in worse case cause it to start a fire. I am not trying to scare you but a lot of the refrigerator failures have been due to this. That was part of the Norcold fire issues. I am not trying to start a new thread talking about refrigerators just bringing up a point. If you have a residential refrigerator and are not extremely out of level you are good to go.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:01 PM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
That is one of the reasons to have air bags, you can bleed them down, then level your RV and be closer to the ground, I feel safer too as not as easy for wind to get under the RV while parked.
gwg35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 05:10 PM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
After reading this thread, I experimented and manually dumped the air and then auto leveled. When pushing the auto level, more air was dumped. This indeed got the first step closer to the ground. My short legged wife thanks you!
M&G Braking-Roadmaster Towbar
mbrooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 05:27 PM   #40

Our instructions states dump the and then level the unit then deploy the sides.
Quote:
Sometimes when the coach is leveled on the jacks the entrance step is very high. Will it cause any damage if I dumped the air and let the coach sit lower like that for 1-3 days?

Thanks
Orville

2009 DutchAire DP 44ft
Cummins 425hp
Spartan
wallynm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 05:48 PM   #41

Quote:

Thanks
Orville

2009 DutchAire DP 44ft
Cummins 425hp
Spartan
I was taught when we got our 35ft Fleetwood to always dump the air befor lowering the jacks. Then when you raise them, start the engine and flip the lever back to automatic for the bags to inflate?
adrainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 05:55 PM   #42

If I’m not mistaken ours dumps the air when the jacks goes down ( the coach still in storage since we purchased)

Zzotte

Tags
air, camping