Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2015, 12:10 PM   #1

Can a Newmar be a "lemon"?

We bought our first motor home on July 31, 2014, a Newmar Baystar 2903. It is the perfect size for us; large enough to have the amenities we wanted and small enough to gain access to many state and federal campsites. We dove enthusiastically into traveling with it and while we have enjoyed getting out to see the U.S., we are now frustrated, angry, and frankly concerned about taking it out on any more adventures.

We took a few short excursions from our North Carolina home and had a few "newbie" issues, but within two months a panel on our dinette delaminated and the carpeting on the engine "doghouse" completely frayed because it was not bound correctly. Both issues were addressed before we set out in April and May for six weeks across the southern section of the US to Carlsbad NM, Tucson and Sedona, San Diego, the Grand Canyon, and many points in between.

On that trip the windshield shade detached so that it was bouncing on the passenger side (fortunately not the driver's side), and although we could reattach one of the brackets, we could not gain access to fix it completely. The spring mechanism to the bracket holding the slide topper over our FWS released (it was later determined it was installed incorrectly), so we lost the use of the FWS for the last 2 weeks of our trip. By the time we returned, the carpeting over the engine was once again detaching and unraveling. Back to the dealer for service.....

Before we were leaving for another extended trip we wanted to thoroughly clean our fresh water tank, and discovered the empty valve was stripped because it had a brass fitting with a plastic handle that only had one use. Newmar sent us a new valve we had to replace ourselves because we were leaving that week. (Obviously these had been an issue because the replacement valves sent is all metal, even though the phone tech said they hadn't had any problems.)

Now we are returning early from that extended tour of the National Parks of Colorado and Utah due to more issues. Our refrigerator stopped functioning on gas and were fortunate to find a mobile tech in Steamboat CO. Our bedroom slide stopped working due to a leak in the shower drain that fried the controller circuit and the heat pad in the bathroom floor in the same compartment. The leak and the slide problem were addressed only after many emails and phone calls to Newmar who could not get us to a Newmar dealer for timely repairs. They did send us to an "authorized repair shop" south of Denver, but we still had to spend hours the next day calibrating the slide to go out all the way via a telephone call to Newmar. The bathroom heat pad will require another visit to our dealer back home.

Last night I smelled rubber burning; that was the cable TV connection frying. Also, although minor, the A/C vent on the dash fell apart and down the hose. We are loving the RV traveling, but how often should our trips be interrupted for repairs on a one year old coach?

What will it take to have Newmar admit our Baystar has been a major problem? We hate to rain on the Newmar love fest on this forum, but we are really discouraged. We have had limited satisfaction contacting the customer service department and would like to contact someone in the Newmar management. We feel this coach should be replaced. Any contact information or advice will be appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
FWDAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2015, 12:33 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

While I sympathize with you and your issues, they don't meet anyone's criteria of a lemon. Some might have been caught by better quality control or inspection before leaving the factory, but others are just the fun of having a luxury home that can actually travel down the road.

Sounds like Newmar has stepped up with support service, repairs, and parts for each issue you've listed. Frustrating, yes, but again not in the realm of a 'lemon.'

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 12:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post

While I sympathize with you and your issues, they don't meet anyone's criteria of a lemon. Some might have been caught by better quality control or inspection before leaving the factory, but others are just the fun of having a luxury home that can actually travel down the road.

Sounds like Newmar has stepped up with support service, repairs, and parts for each issue you've listed. Frustrating, yes, but again not in the realm of a 'lemon.'
Have to agree. I've had many small issues like this with my Excursion. Every time I take it back to the dealer, they happily fix it under warranty. Of course, there's my time taking it back, fuel, lack of use etc. My last repair for a slide motor took over a month to get the part. I brought the coach home and used it twice while waiting and just didn't use the bedroom slide (its a tiny slide, basically just a closet). Unfortunately this is the way of RVing. And I don't think this fits the description "lemon".

I guess we'll see how my attitude changes after December when my warranty is over and I actually have to pay for repairs
Old 09-20-2015, 12:56 PM   #4

Hmm. The love fest only goes as far as the idea that Newmar at least tries to help. That is more than can be said for some others if you read closely.

Off hand your list is a lot better than the "returned to the factory with 52 items on the punch list" folks. Not saying your problems are not an issue. Am saying that in the great scheme of things they are about or below average. None of us like any problems but in the great scheme of things you are not doing too bad considering the complexity of the rolling house. Now lets look:

valve - not sure what stripped the valve or the handle. Not sure why it stripped as they tend to be pretty tough. Nevertheless, it stripped and Newmar is sending you a new one probably hand picked to be metal because they are nice folks and you don't like plastic. They probably buy what they can get in the quantities they use. They are big enough to be a decent order but not big enough to get custom valves to their spec for a reasonable cost. That leaves them at the mercy of their suppliers.

Visor and topper - sound like install problems that should have been caught both in the factory and in PDI inspection. That said if they looked OK and worked there was no reason to suspect them. If the installer screwed up no one after him/her probably sees enough to spot the problem. I'd have probably asked how to disconnect the topper while on the trip. At least I'd have the slide. I'd have duct taped the visor before it fell off. Then taken it in. YMMV

Leak damage - why did it leak? More to the point how much did it leak before you found it? Not trying to blame you but one does need to keep an eye out for such things. Unfortunately they happen. I hope they blocked up the drain so it will not happen again. (By that I mean putting in a well placed block of wood or plastic to keep any slip coupling from coming apart again. Short story is the drain under my sink cannot fall off again.)

Refrigerator - not Newmar's fault. All they do is buy them and install them.

Panel delamination. Interesting but not a big deal as long as they fixed it.

Rug on doghouse. I wonder why it keeps coming off. Sounds like Either wrong glue or something more to the story. It just sounds weird but weird things happen.

Re service appointments. If they got you in within a week or two you are doing excellently this time of year. The shops are full and the waiting lists long assuming service answers the phone to put you on the list. Many do not. 3 months from now they will get you right in assuming they have not laid off their techs for lack of work. It's a very seasonal business.

As far as returning it for a better one I assume you are joking. That is a good one. You should see the bad ones!! No, I am not kidding or trying to slam you. I am calibrating expectations in today's world of moving houses. If you want to sell the unit put it up for sale and you will find buyers. Used newer Newmars are hard to find. If I liked the floor plan I's chalk it up to infant mortality issues and plan on getting 10 -15 more years out of it. YMMV. HTH.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 12:58 PM   #5

At this point I'd drive it to Nappanee and let the folks at Newmar fixit.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 01:10 PM   #6

Your " first year woes " are frustrating to say the least. But if you dig around you'll find that you're not alone and that these type of problems are far too common in coaches; or any RV; from every manufacturer.
Other members have posted their stories , RVs at the dealer for over half of the warranty period; sometimes more; with pages of issues.
Unless the problems can be described as structural rather than cosmetic, and can't be dealt with by the dealer; sorry ; but there is little chance the coach would be considered a lemon.
Old 09-20-2015, 01:16 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Having had two Dutch Star DP's I can say that what the OP has experienced is below average for problems even for Newmars. But Newmar does stand behind their products. Just takes some time and effort to get stuff working right.
In most states the Lemon Law only covers safety defects in the chassis and not the "house" portion but that would be on a state by state basis.
Wish we had kept our 13 yr old DSDP rather than trading it on the much more expensive and newer Magna!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 01:22 PM   #8

We had many,many issues with our new coach. In the first year, it was in the dealer for about 6 months. Based on that, I bought an extended warranty. I also asked Newmar to extend their warranty for the time we did not have use of it.... they agreed. Our previous coach we had for 12 years and it was never back to the dealer for anything. When we got the Newmar, we were expecting more of the same... unfortunately that wasn't the case. Now, after 2 years, I think we have most of the problems behind us.
PanJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 01:30 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FWDAJ View Post
We bought our first motor home on July 31, 2014, a Newmar Baystar 2903. It is the perfect size for us; large enough to have the amenities we wanted and small enough to gain access to many state and federal campsites. We dove enthusiastically into traveling with it and while we have enjoyed getting out to see the U.S., we are now frustrated, angry, and frankly concerned about taking it out on any more adventures.

We took a few short excursions from our North Carolina home and had a few "newbie" issues, but within two months a panel on our dinette delaminated and the carpeting on the engine "doghouse" completely frayed because it was not bound correctly. Both issues were addressed before we set out in April and May for six weeks across the southern section of the US to Carlsbad NM, Tucson and Sedona, San Diego, the Grand Canyon, and many points in between.

On that trip the windshield shade detached so that it was bouncing on the passenger side (fortunately not the driver's side), and although we could reattach one of the brackets, we could not gain access to fix it completely. The spring mechanism to the bracket holding the slide topper over our FWS released (it was later determined it was installed incorrectly), so we lost the use of the FWS for the last 2 weeks of our trip. By the time we returned, the carpeting over the engine was once again detaching and unraveling. Back to the dealer for service.....

Before we were leaving for another extended trip we wanted to thoroughly clean our fresh water tank, and discovered the empty valve was stripped because it had a brass fitting with a plastic handle that only had one use. Newmar sent us a new valve we had to replace ourselves because we were leaving that week. (Obviously these had been an issue because the replacement valves sent is all metal, even though the phone tech said they hadn't had any problems.)

Now we are returning early from that extended tour of the National Parks of Colorado and Utah due to more issues. Our refrigerator stopped functioning on gas and were fortunate to find a mobile tech in Steamboat CO. Our bedroom slide stopped working due to a leak in the shower drain that fried the controller circuit and the heat pad in the bathroom floor in the same compartment. The leak and the slide problem were addressed only after many emails and phone calls to Newmar who could not get us to a Newmar dealer for timely repairs. They did send us to an "authorized repair shop" south of Denver, but we still had to spend hours the next day calibrating the slide to go out all the way via a telephone call to Newmar. The bathroom heat pad will require another visit to our dealer back home.

Last night I smelled rubber burning; that was the cable TV connection frying. Also, although minor, the A/C vent on the dash fell apart and down the hose. We are loving the RV traveling, but how often should our trips be interrupted for repairs on a one year old coach?

What will it take to have Newmar admit our Baystar has been a major problem? We hate to rain on the Newmar love fest on this forum, but we are really discouraged. We have had limited satisfaction contacting the customer service department and would like to contact someone in the Newmar management. We feel this coach should be replaced. Any contact information or advice will be appreciated.

You will read many threads on various forums about buying new versus used. One of the benefits of used is various "bugs" have been fixed in the coach. Your list of first year issues doesn't sound too overwhelming. I agree you have had your share of inconvenience while shaking out the bugs. Yes some owners have had fewer issues and many have had significantly more and significantly more worrisome than the list you provided and after they get worked out the coach settles in. Small things like the plastic handle on the fresh water tank drain is noise, easy enough to remove the Phillips head screw that hold the plastic handle on and use a small adjustable wrench to open and close the valve-- or maybe just tighten the screw. My suggestion is to make a list of the current issues and get your coach back to Nappanee to have factory service fix these issues. Next travel season should be with less issues, but remember all RV's require ongoing maintenance and minor repair as they take a real beating on the road.

Mike
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 09:44 AM   #10

Thanks for all of your input!
We would probably not be as frustrated had Newmar been more helpful. Getting help required multiple phone calls and sorting through misinformation. The phone tech could not indicate the location of the slide controller box for testing; it was found with assistance from a camp neighbor driving a Dutch Star. There is more, but enough said.
The reality is we need to lower our standards and expectations.
We look forward to having the coach checked into our dealer for service, and hope for a better second year.

FWDAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 11:17 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWDAJ View Post
Thanks for all of your input!
We would probably not be as frustrated had Newmar been more helpful. Getting help required multiple phone calls and sorting through misinformation. The phone tech could not indicate the location of the slide controller box for testing; it was found with assistance from a camp neighbor driving a Dutch Star. There is more, but enough said.
The reality is we need to lower our standards and expectations.
We look forward to having the coach checked into our dealer for service, and hope for a better second year.

I went through a nightmare with my 2015 Canyon Star. Many issues. Some major and some minor including the valve that you mentioned. One use and it was junk. Some will defend Newmar no matter what. I got no help from customer service. Something broke, shorted out or fell off every trip. After one year we gave up and got rid of the p.o.s. I've owned motor homes since the 70's and that was by far the worse one. If they would properly train their workers including management, the poor workmanship would be eliminated. Absolutely no quality control.
rodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 12:37 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Having had two Dutch Star DP's I can say that what the OP has experienced is below average for problems even for Newmars. !

Really. Below average? I have never purchased a new MH so this is really eye opening, especially since we were drooling over the 2016 Newmars last weekend at the RV show.
TexasTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 01:38 PM   #13

I have no doubt that the OP has had a really bad time of it, and has every right to be upset if he is not getting the attention that he deserves. At the same time there are many others who have only had minor issues when buying new, and never post on this forum. I am on my second Newmar and would never hesitate to recommend them to anyone as our experience has always been positive. That is not to say there have never been issues, because there have been some, but they have always been addressed by Newmar or the dealer. Lastly, we all know how complicated these things are and it really helps if you are a bit mechanical because some problems are so simple you just take care of them yourself!
HWH Active Air Suspension 2014 Wrangler
DRL1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 03:48 PM   #14

While I would buy another Newmar I do think they are just like any other mfg in the gasser models. They have good value for the money but that doesn't stop them from having issues. I still have issues even after the dealer has worked on it 3times. they still they can't fixit. I also disagree with people that say it is not Newmars fault when a purchased item quits. Newmar specs it and buys it, installs it and should be totally responsible for it for at least the first coupe of years. Just my thoughts.

Tags
newmar