Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2020, 08:56 PM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have cats, up to 7 at one time. One one trip through CA one of mine stepped on the N button and took me out of gear. I thought Ihad lost all engine power and dove for the exit that was right there. Coasted down the ramp and stopped. Worst thing was getting back on the freeway going the right direction.
I need to put a cover over the transmission controls as he's done it several times now.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2020, 11:13 PM   #16
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Yes....AUTO TAG DUMP is all the way forward, front nose of switch depressed. DIASBLE is in the middle and the switch sits evenly front to rear. MANUAL requires that you push the switch down in the back (it's a momentary switch in this position). The TAG DUMPED will appear on the dash screen. Depress it again, and the tag will air up.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 08:23 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks to all the responders for the useful info/tips. To be clear, I wasn't really trying to find out how to *prevent* one of those switches from getting it; I'm confident I can manage to avoid it, short of my chihuahua jumping into my lap and stepping on a button). I mainly was looking to get confirmation as to whether or not there is any "auto-protection" built-in that precludes anything really damaging/dangerous from happening.

But while I'm at it, and just to get a fuller understanding of the airbag operation and confirmation of my understanding: "tag air dump" essentially deflates the airbags for the tag axle, and that essentially results in the "downward pressure" being removed from the tag axle, such that most of the weight is removed from that axle so that those tires can more easily "skid" across the ground in a tight turn, right?

And I've also heard others talk about in a "tight clearance" situation where they needed to squeak under a barely-high-enough roof for instance, where they would "manually dump the airbags" in order to slightly lower the RV height while they crept under the low obstruction. But I'm still uncertain about how one goes about manually dumping the air for *all* of the axles vs. just the tag axle, such that the motorhome actually lowers. The label on the button on the driver's left suggests that is only controlling the *tag* axle airbags. So how does one force the airbags on the other axles to also dump, allowing the motorhome to be lowered while one creeps forward?

Lastly, in response to Dutch Star Don who wrote, "I often retract my jacks while the coach is airing up," I'm curious about this, as the dealer told me that that is essentially the *normal* thing that happens "automatically." Specifically, he said that when I push the "auto-store" button for the jacks, that that both raises the jacks *and* causes the coach to air back up. Is that not really the case? If jack "auto-store" does *not* also automatically air the coach back up, then what does control when the coach airs up? Simply starting the engine? But if starting the engine is what starts the air-up process, then it would seem that one generally wouldn't also be raising the jacks while airing up as doing so would mean you'd be putting up with the relatively loud/piercing warning sound that plays if one turns the key to the on position while the jacks are still down.

Again, appreciate the community for all of your suggestions and sharing of wisdom. Happy Thanksgiving all!

Tom
sartor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 08:45 AM   #18

My DSDP will dump with the engine running but will also air right back up. I have had to get it into the shop that has a height limitation and the only way to do that is to dump and pull in. I have to hold the dump switch in to keep it from raising up while pulling into the shop. If not it would raise back up and hit the door opening. Now, I haven't tried to dump while driving down the highway and I don't plan to try anytime soon so I can't help with whether it would dump at speed.
Fefanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 10:27 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi Tom - What your dealer told you is how the last several coaches with HWH levelers we have had has worked. Pushing the auto store button does both functions.

Regarding your other question, there is a difference between the tag dump button near your arm and the manual dump button on the HWH panel. One does the tag below mph limits, the other will dump the system compliant with system limits.

Tom
Old 11-27-2020, 10:42 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Doh! My bad...I hadn't even noticed that "manual dump" button on the jack control panel (that'll teach me for going by memory when I'm not at my coach). Since I previously had a Canyon Star with a very similar jack control panel I just didn't pay close attention on the new coach; of course the Canyon Star didn't have air bags so no "manual dump" button.

So back to the original point of my post: that "manual dump" button is the kind of thing that I'm wondering if it would actually activate/do anything if pushed (mistakenly/inadvertently) while driving along at highway speeds. From prior responses it sounds like it can at least by manually held down while creeping along in order to slowly get oneself under a low height restriction (like parking under a roof), whereas if one releases the button while in drive the airbags would simply auto-reinflate. So it sounds like an inadvertent quick press-and-release while driving wouldn't really do anything.

Thanks again for the info!

Tom
sartor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 06:04 PM   #21

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Interesting post... my issue is exactly opposite of yours. 2017 DS 4369... why in gods name should I have to hunt for the engine brake. I understand they finally found an engineer that actually drove an RV and have now moved the switch to the smart wheel and or steering column.
DebnDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 05:44 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sartor View Post
Another newbie question, for my 2019 Dutch Star: I was wondering about the various switches on the driver's left side, and whether or not one has to be concerned to not mistakenly hit one of them while driving. In particular, I'm thinking about the manual air bag dump switch, and also the R/N/D switch for the transmission. Is there any "automatic protection" that precludes those switches from being able to do anything damaging if one were to inadvertently hit one of them while driving down the highway? I certainly didn't want to "test the theory" while on my maiden voyage! :-) But at the same time I was pondering the danger if I were to do something like reach for the window switch or something and mistakenly hit the wrong button, especially in these "early days" while I'm still getting used to where everything is located.

Tom
None of these should be an issue on your coach
* the air should not dump under 20MPH
* the slides should not deploy when in drive
* the transmission should not change in an unsafe situation as the engine brake on or off would prevent that.
* As for getting run over because you left the parking brake off and your dog thought it was his turn to drive when you were attaching your Tow Vehicle, I can't help you.
Hambones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 07:52 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I have cats, up to 7 at one time. One one trip through CA one of mine stepped on the N button and took me out of gear. I thought Ihad lost all engine power and dove for the exit that was right there. Coasted down the ramp and stopped. Worst thing was getting back on the freeway going the right direction.
I need to put a cover over the transmission controls as he's done it several times now.
Nothing personal here but if you have cats or dogs crawling all over you while your driving I don't want to be around you. Distracted drivers are what get people killed and you are driving a house. Maybe you should corral the cats and keep everyone else around you safe. Then you won't need a cover over your controls.
Fefanatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driver